Strobes

TurboCrazy

Turbo on the brain!
Disassembling my TTA for some chassis work and upgrading. Since I'm a newbie to TTA's, I found a couple interesting things I have questions about. :biggrin: Are all TTA's equipped with the strobes? The GM security box under the dash, is it hard to disconnect and can anyone tell me how? I do not have any manuals for a TTA at this time.

Thanks, Brandon

No only the actual pace car had strobes. And the security thing calls VATS can be disabled. Do a search on "vats" and lots will show up.

Jason

Mine is equipped with strobes front and back, but no control box. What does that mean?

Thanks for the info on the security box.

Brandon

TurboCrazy said:
Mine is equipped with strobes front and back, but no control box. What does that mean?

Brandon

The pace cars never had strobes in the rear, they had a light bar under the spoiler. If your car truely has the strobes and the light bar then you own 1 of 4, which 1 is owned by GM, 1 owned by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, 1 is/was owned by Emmerson Fitipaldi, and rumour is that another car was made by the guy who does the lights on the pace cars. Please take pictures of what you think are the strobes so that we can see them.

TurboCrazy said:

Brandon
Take pics!

Jason

72firebird said:
The pace cars never had strobes in the rear, they had a light bar under the spoiler. If your car truely has the strobes and the light bar then you own 1 of 4, which 1 is owned by GM, 1 owned by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, 1 is/was owned by Emmerson Fitipaldi, and rumour is that another car was made by the guy who does the lights on the pace cars. Please take pictures of what you think are the strobes so that we can see them.

Wasn't there another guy that put some strobes on his that were simular, but not the same as the real strobes?

it would be sweet if we could find some similar light bars for the rear ends.... i'd wire one up on my car.

j13smiley said:
it would be sweet if we could find some similar light bars for the rear ends.... i'd wire one up on my car.
I met the guy who outfitted the 3 cars for the race a few years back, if memory serves the lights under the spoiler were custom made press to fit (they might have been turn signal lenses but I can't remember) and the brake light was coverd with a peice of white plastic.
You could fab it up pretty easy if you wanted.

Metal said:
I met the guy who outfitted the 3 cars for the race a few years back, if memory serves the lights under the spoiler were custom made press to fit (they might have been turn signal lenses but I can't remember) and the brake light was coverd with a peice of white plastic.
You could fab it up pretty easy if you wanted.

I've got some pictures of the light bar. It looks like it was just some rectangular parking lamps with some plexiglass or plastic painted white and then some epoxy was slopped on and thrown on there. It's far from a nice installation. I doubt it'd be hard to make if you really wanted to.

OK! I see that my lack of experience with these cars is already obvious. The lights I'm talking about are small lights of some kind that are cut into the back of the taillights and front parking lights. The wires from the small lights lead to black boxes that talk about strobes.??? I will work on pics.

Will someone please post some pics of the strobes that were on the pacecars,
please. Thanks.

Brandon

If anyone sees this who would like to host about 50 pictures of the actual pace car that the Indianapolis Motorspeedway Museum owns and the 6spd "track" TTA that GM owns. I've got a lot of pictures of some interesting modifications and if someone will just put them all together on a site it's make it much easier than me hosting them all and sparatically posting them.

Or Lee, I'll PM you and maybe we can host them on TB and put them in the FAQ. I can describe what some of the stuff is for you but some of it I really don't know what it is which is why I took a picture of it.

If anyone sees this who would like to host about 50 pictures of the actual pace car that the Indianapolis Motorspeedway Museum owns and the 6spd "track" TTA that GM owns. I've got a lot of pictures of some interesting modifications and if someone will just put them all together on a site it's make it much easier than me hosting them all and sparatically posting them.

I've got Bobby Unser's car on my site already www.turbobuicks.net so if you want to e-mail them all to me I'll host them up as well!

phillyturbosix said:

I've got Bobby Unser's car on my site already www.turbobuicks.net so if you want to e-mail them all to me I'll host them up as well!

thanks for the offer but I decided that my friend is gunna help me build a quick website this week. It'll just include a whole bunch of TTA pictures and little descriptions of each one. I'll make it kind of like an archive of TTA photos. Of course once I first get it going it's going to be far from 56k safe since all the photos will be on one page.

72firebird said:
thanks for the offer but I decided that my friend is gunna help me build a quick website this week. It'll just include a whole bunch of TTA pictures and little descriptions of each one. I'll make it kind of like an archive of TTA photos. Of course once I first get it going it's going to be far from 56k safe since all the photos will be on one page.

I own krif.com there is already a ton of TB and TTA movies hosted there, I could host the pictures too if you change your mind.
http://krif.com/tta/Movies/

Metal said:
I own krif.com there is already a ton of TB and TTA movies hosted there, I could host the pictures too if you change your mind.
http://krif.com/tta/Movies/

I've got a host that I'm gunna use again thanks for the offer. I'll go ahead and host them now and I'll post them up and then I'll just assemble them on the page later. So I'll post them up here in probably like an hour or so.

Here's the whole story on the strobe lighting for the pace cars.

They were fabricated and installed by a guy named Dave Doern. He installed them on a total of 4 TTAs, those being the 3 actual pace cars for Indy and his personal TTA. Up front, the fog lamp lenses were completely removed and strobes put in their place. Strobes were installed in the forward facing amber turn signals and fender lamps. The stock signal bulbs were retained in those lenses. Dave fabricated "boxes" that were sandwiched (his words) between the hatch and deck lid with 3 lamps on each side of the CHIMSL. He said they weren't even permanently affixed but were "glued" in place with white silicone sealant.

Dave used amber Firebird front/side fender lenses for the rear strobes. The actual pace cars had the same problem I had using the small marker lenses. For those not familiar with strobe tubes they get VERY hot after prolonged use. The heat began to deform the lenses.

The pace cars' on/off switch was the rear defogger button since that was no longer in use. The pace cars' rear window was swapped out for a non-defogger one thus making the button useless. I'm not sure why but Dave removed the CHIMSL (3rd brake light) and put a piece of plain white plastic in it's place.

For ease of installation and/or removal to return my car to stock I chose to install self contained lamps on the interior ceiling just forward the hatch.

I've included photos of Dave, the actual Indy pace car and my car. I also have short QuickTime videos of my strobes in action. Dave is the tall, gray haired gentleman wearing sunglasses. My TTA is parked directly behind his 25th Anniversary T/A with the light bar on the roof.

Strobe Video #1
Strobe Video #2
Strobe Video #3

Attachments

• Actual Pace Car rear.jpg
    Actual Pace Car rear.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 100
  • P6280035.jpg
    P6280035.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 120
  • P6280099.jpg
    P6280099.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 94
  • rear strobes.JPG
    rear strobes.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the post. I kinda like them. As in the other post, they removed the rear defogger so the lines wouldnt be in the way of the camera.

Jason

Thankyou, TT/A1233. Your post helped alot. For whatever reason, my car is equipped with strobe tubes in the front turn signals and the rear taillights? Everything is there but the strobe controller. I wonder why?

Brandon

TurboCrazy said:
Thankyou, TT/A1233. Your post helped alot. For whatever reason, my car is equipped with strobe tubes in the front turn signals and the rear taillights? Everything is there but the strobe controller. I wonder why?

Brandon
Pics? :D

Jason