Stored OEM Tires

spikestta

What is the best way to preserve stored tires. do I just throw them in a garbage bag . Do they make special vacuum bags . Is there some sort of armor-all type spray that preserves them . Do I have to keep them in the house , garage , shed. Any info is highly appreciated . Thanks

Do not spray them with any sort of silicone lubricant or tire shine. Make sure all of the stuff is completely washed off. Once the tires are clean and dry put them in a black garbage bag and keep them out of UV light.

Herb is right on.

I have several sets of GNX tires preserved in my basement.

To prepare them, I washed them outdoors completely with soap, Simple Green, and water -- INSIDE AND OUT, tread etc. with a semi-soft brush with enough strength to get the tread but not damage the rubber (no stiff brushes, no wire brushes!). Rinsed thoroughly and repeated.

I used old (but clean) bath towels on my driveway, and put the tires on them during washing. This is so the tires would not get additional grit or dirt from the driveway.

I dried them thoroughly-- yes it was a pain getting the water out from the inside, I did the hula-hoop trick, toweled them out, and got the last out with a turkey baster (don't tell the wife).

After letting them sit and air out in a clean area for a day or two, I took them inside and stacked them carefully on top of a garbage bag so they didn't draw moisture from my concrete floor. I heard that a garbage bag can keep moisture in and accelerate deterioration, so they're not enclosed by bags.

No rubber spray, silicone, Armor All, or anything on them at all, just as Herb said. My basement is clean, dry, and humidity controlled and has no ambient light, so again they sit in the open on TOP of garbage bags.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Doug