Stock with a PT53 turbo, next upgrade?

70GS_87GN

Hello,

I've put roughly 620 miles in a couple months on my GN after resurrecting it from 'totaled' status. It's a bone stock 87 with almost 38,000 miles and a PT-53 turbo on it. I've run into a dilemma on whether or not to put a little more power into it. The only mechanical issue with it is the injectors seem to stick causing excessive cranking to start the car. It isn't unbearable, but not ideal either.

I'm wondering if a small injector upgrade would be beneficial? I want to keep the car 100% stock appearing

Basically I'm a turbo rookie, I am open to advice and suggestions.

Thanks,
Louie

Thank you for the reply, I read through the thread when I first got the car but it always helps to go through it again. I only found minimal information on the pt53 through gnttype's pictorial guide. I have not had the ECM out to see if there is an aftermarket chip in it so that would be a good starting point. Attached is a pic of the turbo, I had detailed pics with part numbers but I changed phones since then.
image.jpg

Looks like she was quite a bit of a project before you got her up and running. Congrats!

I doubt it's a PT53. Post pic of the turbine and compressor here for identification. It would spool slow and feel lazy on your combo if it was a 53. Also it has a billet back plate that appears to be from limit engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for your replies. Will post up pictures tomorrow. I found a precision order form/spec sheet in the glove compartment that had "pt53c" followed by a few other numbers. I then matched the turbo up to the gnttype tutorial.

This car was totaled in '03 and sat for 12 years before I put a new frame and front end on it over the course of September-March.

Here are pictures of the turbo. If better shots/angles are needed, let me know. Thanks!

EDIT: I need to resize two photos.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Can't verify PT53 with these pics. Need to see the turbine. I'm not a fan of the wheel combo if it is. It will run out of compressor long before the turbine is done. I prefer the wheel combo that was used in the PT54. Same turbine with a 60-1 compressor. A good friends car consistently trapped 118-120mph with a pt53. When we went up to a t04z compressor with a p trim turbine it picked up 8mph. It's a worthwhile to update to a 60-1 compressor if you plan on doing a bunch of mods like heads, cam, intercooler, and converted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and insight Bison. I will revisit the identification later in the season I guess. To clarify, I don't want to heavily mod the car. In fact, I'm thinking about returning the turbo to stock since the rest of the car is stock. For now, I think I'm just going to swap out for a mild injector upgrade to cure the sticky injectors in it now.

Thanks for the reply and insight Bison. I will revisit the identification later in the season I guess. To clarify, I don't want to heavily mod the car. In fact, I'm thinking about returning the turbo to stock since the rest of the car is stock. For now, I think I'm just going to swap out for a mild injector upgrade to cure the sticky injectors in it now.
Don't forget about the rest of the fuel system (regulator,pump,hotwire ), even if you put the stock turbo back on, pump was barley adequate when it was new...