Stock Twin GN turbos?

JC93Z

Hustonstreetracing.com
Having the GN long block in my camaro now has made me decide to do a twin turbo set-up now.

I was wondering if it would be wise to use two stock Gn turbos?

Any other suggestions are welcome or comments.

Thanks,
Jerry Carlin

I think CAS was working on this at one point. You might want to check with them for more info.

Here are some pics BTW. :D

hustonstreetracing%20001.jpg

hustonstreetracing%20002.jpg

hustonstreetracing%20003.jpg

hustonstreetracing%20004.jpg

hustonstreetracing%20005.jpg

Look around for info., on Impulse exhaust systems, and impulse turbo installations. Interesting stuff.
Stockers should be fine.

You'll probably need to do you own chips to get this right. So you might as well start reading up and getting serious about tuning. I don't mean to infer you don't know, but to unlease a twin setup, means really knowing what your doing to get it right.

I'd also suggest you look up the info on using a Translator Plus, and then going to a blow thru MAF. That way you have all the computing power you could possibly need on your side.

Twins are cool.
Done well, should be fantastic.

Thanks Bruce :)

If I do go this route I will be getting FAST system to do tuning with.

If I don't I will go one big turbo with a Max effort piggy back system with a 16 position thumbwheel.

Originally posted by mike85gn
I think CAS was working on this at one point. You might want to check with them for more info.

Haha, hoo-hoo, Hahahahahaha. Ok, stop, you're killing me. Hehe.:rolleyes:

I can't tell you how far they got...

But... I can tell you that I was the first to test the CAS set up and it has all the potential to KILL a motor with stock components. If you would like examples I could get you some pics of the motor we destroyed a few years ago. Tony actually flew in to Dallas to assist with the setup and install of this kit. (it helps when he is motivated.) I wouldn’t bag and / or roll eyes at Tony he is just a business man trying to make a living as far as I can tell – don’t get me wrong flamers I am not defending the fact that he may have some business issues… everyone has some faults. The point I am getting at is that he probably makes more money off of his import products since this is the latest crazy from all the kids and if it was my source of income I would do what makes my pockets PHAT too… I can only assume that most would do the same.

If you decide to do the twin stock setup you will have some traction issues for sure especially with the f-body. Boost was instant with my set up and I could roast 29x10.5W’s about 300 feet…

Good luck either way –

Winsett

This thread is not to bash anyone. If you guys have comments about people/vendors relating to the topic that is fine. But don't bash, just state facts.

So I take it that if I decide to do a TT set-up then two stock GN turbo's would be good enough then. I could hit high 10's.

I don't intend on using stock parts on the inside. Girdle, forged pistons, steel main caps, etc.

Thanks, that is what I was wanting to know.

Originally posted by JC93Z
So I take it that if I decide to do a TT set-up then two stock GN turbo's would be good enough then. I could hit high 10's.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few Turbo Regals running 9's on a single turbo. Maybe even better than that.

High 10's? That's just a well modded "stock" TR. ;)

ATR lists a TT in their 2002 catalog.

Headers with brackets $1095
SS Downpipes $395 each
Wastegates $295 each
Idler pulley and belt $110

About $2300 not including shipping.

Note: Turbos and intake not included.

www.atrperformance.com
phone: 864.972.3800
fax: 864.972.4900

You might ask for a catalog and look at all the single turbo cars that are going FASTER than 10's, some are into the 9's, 8's, and 7's ( like Kent Rudbeck's 7.85 @ 176)

See that is where I save big time. I make my own headers. I already have all he material bought. With twins I will not have to make a crossover also. The headers are SS also.

Most of my car is custom, so it is no big thing. I love the things I can do/make with a wire EDM machine...LOL

if you want facts I will throw out some...

We went 10.60@127 with a single 70 - it would run consistant 6.80s in the 1/8th - with no other changes than doing the twin conversion we didn't get a full 1/4 mile pass but we didn manage a 6.5@118 in the 1/8th - this was with out a 400 or tranny brake. that should have been good for at least a 10.20 - I can tell you that the stock turbos were much faster than the 70 and spool time wasnt a factor... I can see someone going 9's with ease if you have a strong motor and tuner, how many times will be the quesion.

Winsett
www.meankidsracing.com

I have talked to Kent Rudbeck at Muncie before, seen him put the car on the bumper and slam it down also :eek: .

I thought he was running twin 76's.....????

I don't know for sure but I doubt he is running 76's - I thought he had some 63's or 66's

I dont know - but that is a stage motor and that is apples to oranges...

right thats usually the norm for the stage2 stuff... I have twin 63's on my race car now - I am thinking of doing something a little different but am undecided...

Originally posted by Winsett
right thats usually the norm for the stage2 stuff... I have twin 63's on my race car now - I am thinking of doing something a little different but am undecided...

Man badass ride dude!

I have always liked the idea of a TT 109 set up. The boost is instant. My brother is working on a SB Chevy with two stock TR turbos. It will be a blow through carb./intercooled set up.

i am curious as i have mentioned this previously about a tt setup i was offered for my 83 regal......its stock a 4 bbl car but i have yet to see very many numbers on guys runnin a single turbo on a carb setup let alone a tt on single carb......any numbers old gn/tr guyz????

now heres a question on the old style cars what will i run into as far as electronics? if i go tt? i mean its a 4 bbl not Fi ???anything major? just curious........im not looking for anything extreme out of it...just a quik v6........its gonna be a street car so..........and at that its gonna be a granny mobile too.....limited with the 2 tone brown paint and vinyl roof too.......lol......gonna have a hella a sleeper.........