Stock turbo question

MN250R

Whats the fastest times people were able to get with a stock turbo?
Is there alot of gain with a ta49 or te44?

Im just wondering with the setup i have on my car if i should stick with my stock turbo and upgrade the inter cooler. Or focus on a cam, springs etc.
Im really confused on what turbo to go with in my car if i do. Or if i should just stick with what i have. Also, do upgraded inter coolers really help even with a stock turbo? I was looking at maybe a dutt weiler modified neck one.

Thanks!

in a short answer yes,however not if your going to run low boost.another thing is not to oversize the ex housing,i prefer the garret.63.

I have not changed my boost. Its what ever it was set at factory. I bought a turbo tweak chip for pump gas. I will try to see today what kind of boost im getting.

I ran my stock turbo from 1991 (when I bought my car) till 2008. I put on a TA-49 with Garret .63 exhaust housing. I'm very happy with the TA-49 and I wanted something that looked stock. I was told by Red Armstrong at low boost levels 15-17 psi there is no real advantage with going to a TA-49 or TE44. It's when you get up to 20+ psi that a TA-49 or TE44 will give you an extra 25-30 hp. So, if you keep it down at pump gas street boost levels 15-17 psi you may not really gain much. My car did pick up some at lower boost levels but I did upgrade some other stuff.

My 87 T: stock turbo, intercooler, downpipe, injectors, MT Sportsman pro's, air bags, boxed lower control arms, Kenne Bell air intake, stock trans and convertor

I ran 13.3 on pump gas with a Red Armstong 93 chip (I dont' remember the boost).
I ran 12.36 @ 109 on 110 race gas with Red Armstong 108 chip with about 21 psi boost.

In 2008 made the following upgrades: TA-49, 42lbs injectors, dutt. neck stock intercooler, MT 255/60/15 drag radials, Pete Tomka air filter setup, rebuilt 200R4 with Precision single disk 2800 stall (I dont' lock it when racing), TurboTweak chips.

I ran 12.38 at 107 with 10 gallons pump and a few gallons of 110 still in the tank at 18 psi boost with TurboTweak street chip. I have run 12.8 several times with 100% pump gas at 17-18 psi boost.
I also ran 11.98 @ 112 with 110 race gas, TurboTweak race chip, at 23 psi boost.

So, my car ran a solid .5+ seconds faster with the upgrades on pump gas and .38 seconds faster on race gas. I'm sure I could improve on the race gas time, but that's what I've done so far.

Good luck on what you decide, Craig

wow. those are some good times for running with the stock turbo.
thanks for the advice. I guess ill probablly stick with my stock turbo since my boost usually doest go above 17-18 cause im on pump gas.

does adding octane booster work? for raising the points?

id like to get a duttwieler neck upgrade, but i think i would need to send my chip in to get reprogrammed for that.
I wonder if anyone is selling an intercooler on here with the dutt wieler neck mod?

I would not bother with a duttneck unless you are gonna run high boost. If you get bored some weekend it wouldn't hurt to port the necks on the stock ic though.

Do you need to buy an adjustable waste gate control the boost levels? how are people running higher boost? Isnt that controlled by the chip? thx

How does the alky system work? i was kinda curious. Does it automatically inject the alcohol with the gas? Where do you buy the alcohol at? Is it like race gas?
Anyone know how much it usually costs?

Thx

Use the search functions on the board as many of your questions have been dicussed in detail. Also check the vendor section for prices of the parts in question. This has helped me find alot of answers to my questions but theres nothing more fun than dialog:cool: Hope this helps....