stock turbo question

jgines

CaTcH mE iF yOu CaN
Hey Everybody, Does anyone know what kind of turbo is on the 84? I know its dumb question but the only way to learn is to ask. Can anybody help this newbie out? Thanks in advance :D

The stock turbos on the 84/85 gnttype/gn are Garret turbos which flow 350 CFM. You can get a rebuilt one on exchange from either Limit Enginering or Poston. Brad

Thanks Brad. So its just called a garrett wich flows 350 CFM.Its not a Ta**, or Te**. Also what does CFM stand for?

It's a Garett T-3 based I believe. TE designates a cast in inlet bell and is usually bigger than stock. TA is a stock compressor housing bored for whatever wheel is in it with a removable inlet bell. TA usually refers to the 87 style turbos but the stock 84 would be considered a TA. If you're looking to order a bigger one, you can send yours off and have whatever wheels you want. You're not limited to a 33, you can have from stock to whatever fits. I believe a TA62 is as big as you can go in the hotair housing and around a 64 is the biggest in an intercooled housing.

Thanks cool 84. But I still want to know what CFM stands for. Can you guys tell me?. Thanks :D

Originally posted by jgines
Thanks cool 84. But I still want to know what CFM stands for. Can you guys tell me?. Thanks :D

Cubic Feet of air a Minute. :) I don't know how they rate them but if it helps, the stock 340CFM turbo can be reeeealy stretched to the mid 12s@106mph range. A TA49 which is rated somewhere around 700CFM can be stretched to deep 11s in the low 120mph range. They're also rated in pounds of air a minute sometimes.

Originally posted by cool 84
Cubic Feet of air a Minute. :) I don't know how they rate them but if it helps, the stock 340CFM turbo can be reeeealy stretched to the mid 12s@106mph range. A TA49 which is rated somewhere around 700CFM can be stretched to deep 11s in the low 120mph range. They're also rated in pounds of air a minute sometimes.

The CFM rating is calculated with the turbo producing 14.7psi of boost (1 BAR). Of course, we overshoot that by a lot, sometimes as much as double that pressure. CFM is not linear though, spinning a turbo out of it's efficiency range you will see a lot less CFM per pound of boost and a lot more heat.

I believe the stock turbo is reffered to as a Garrett TBO306 with M10 compressor and .63 A/R 3-bolt M3 exhaust housings. Not sure on the wheel trims or diameters, but basically, any TA-series turbo should fit no problem as long as you have enough fuel and stall to support it.