stock throttle body

Apparently, No body. I've been waiting on a Porting , on my '84 , from GBody for 3 month's . They're the only one's offering this, but Nuthing yet....:cry:

Gotta do it yourself 🙂 Dear ole Dad and I just put alot of time and effort into fixing the shaft play on my stock TB. It took custom made bushings with correct tolerances to address the wore out TB housing. If you have ever smoke tested your Turbo Buick... Many times the TB is the source of your vacuum leak.

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_162703864_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220706_162703864_HDR~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20220705_102424643~2.jpg
    IMG_20220705_102424643~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220705_102433834~2.jpg
    IMG_20220705_102433834~2.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20220705_135011070_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220705_135011070_HDR~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
Dear ole Dad and I just put alot of time and effort into fixing the shaft play on my stock TB.
That's great to hear, nothing like doing some bonding with Dad over Turbo Buick car repairs!!!
I love to hear this, Dad passing down knowledge to his children!!!

ENJOY!!!

I prefer larger TBs for better air distribution in the manifold.
The performance gain may be minimal, but bigger TBs tend to have less spark knock even if they don't show more power. Everyone has their own opinion on this, so I am not going to open that can of worms here.
BUT, why not remove the upper and take out the EGR boss, that helps flow and distribution. Or, take a few evenings if you need to, and grind out the lower part of the EGR port flush with the floor too, but you will need a good bunch of blue paper shop towels down the ports, (cover or remove and cover the up pipe too) and a friend (dad) run a shop vac to collect the chips as you grind. You may not have the patience to remove the entire lower port, but whatever you do remove helps the distribution.
There are some very seriously aggressive burrs available at professional abrasive outlets. You'll want one, I have also seen guys use a Harbor Freight air body saw to remove some material before grinding. If you are careful, cut the lower EGR port away from the front of the manifold, and thin around of its bottom up about a quarter of an inch, and break it off using leverage from a screwdriver, or crescent wrench. That saves a LOT of grinding! Plug the EGR port with paper towels below where you are grinding.
DONT FORGET TO VACUUM WELL, AND REMOVE THE PAPER TOWELS BEFORE YOU REASSEMBLE IT! I prefer to remove the EGR valve and blow the port from the manifold out with shop air. Then either reattach the EGR valve or install a plate to seal the vacuum. A BB in the EGR valve vacuum line will keep it from opening, but you didn't hear it from me....
You also should disable the EGR if you do any grinding on the lower, because that occasionally can cause light throttle knock. EGR does not operate at any advanced, lower vacuum, or boost levels, or shouldn't.
I have a few stock TBs around here, Ill check and see if they have good shaft seal, and post if you want to go that way.
And while you have the upper off, an RJC Power/distribution plate is an inexpensive, but well worth addition to any F.I.Turbo Regal!
TIMINATOR

Last edited:
wonder what seals steve used....that is the key to puzzle....all that is really needed is new seals....

wonder what seals steve used....that is the key to puzzle....all that is really needed is new seals....
Steve used same seals gbody sells. Issue with those seals.... They are roughly .025 too large on the OD of seal. The bore needs to be opened up or 1 of 2 issues may occur. Seal is destroyed during installation or you may split/crack the TB housing. In regards to the seal only replacement....The repairer should check the end play for wear, if you can move the shaft back and forth, that needs addressed otherwise it will destroy your new seals in a short period of time. I looked at about 6 stockers and they all needed bushings prior to seal replacement to get the desired outcome. If you can find a low mileage piece, that would be way to go.

No rocket science here.
Any bearing supply house should be able to supply bronze bushings for the shaft, then ream the TB to fit them (in a Bridgeport mill), the same mill and a boring head could fly cut the housing bore to the larger size for the seal.
Find a retired machinist with time.
I have done many thru the years, its a straight foward job, but I currently am about 3-4 months behind in my customer's engine builds...
The set up and indexing take more time than the actual machining, and you only get one shot to get it right.
One off will be more $$$ than several at once.
Machine shops sell time. Call around. Somebody needs the work.
TIMINATOR

No rocket science here.
Any bearing supply house should be able to supply bronze bushings for the shaft, then ream the TB to fit them (in a Bridgeport mill), the same mill and a boring head could fly cut the housing bore to the larger size for the seal.
Find a retired machinist with time.
I have done many thru the years, its a straight foward job, but I currently am about 3-4 months behind in my customer's engine builds...
The set up and indexing take more time than the actual machining, and you only get one shot to get it right.

TIMINATOR

Exactly, that is how we repaired it. Having a Bridgeport in the garage makes it nice:) But it is still a time consuming job. Machine shops bill on hourly rate. Most folks will by an Accufab due to cost and figure out it needs repair eventually as well. I tried that route. Time is money but better to know it's right. I can't believe the improvement after installing on the car, and it's just a stock piece. I have a 62mm up next. It needs the same bushing repair as the stocker but wanted to test it out on a piece I wasn't worried about scraping.

Accufab lasts longer than stock due to a better, higher quality body, and shaft, and better machine practices. And, if you want to get picky, a larger TBody has more airflow, requiring less shaft rotation, per CFM, so it will last longer in normal driving!
The factory has the bean counters/ and planned obsolensce teams looking at everything.
Scrapping has two "p"s, don't confuse the folks! LOL!
TIMINATOR