Stock Radiator Replacement

Darkstar72

OK...I will try to stir less trouble with this question. In the 87 T I picked up in the fall I drained the radiator to do some work...not liking the looks on the inside of this thing. Contacted my local radiator shop I've dealt with for years and they had no leads on any aftermarket stock replacements that were not stupid expensive and quoted me as much for a recore as new aluminum unit from GN1 or Kirban ($300 to $500 for recore).

NAPA shows a stock replacement for over $600...big NOPE on that one.

Now...the question comes I found this unit from Rock Auto for a price I'm willing to live with for now. Just trying to see if any other clearance rack shoppers like me have tried this piece. It states it does have the coolers internal like stock, core is aluminum, end tanks plastic, and the dimensions to appear to be stock size from the research I've done on the stock radiator.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3609954&cc=1020957&jsn=418

I understand the Cold Case unit and other comparable aluminum pieces out there are really nice pieces, but I don't have the coin to drop on one of those right now after all the other items I've already had to address. TIA.

Buy a radiator from any of the fast food parts stores for an '89 IROC with a tree-fiddy.

I recommend an external trans cooler (on all cars) and if you want to have an oil cooler, get an external one of those too. Many choose to run without the oil cooler and just stick with the trans.

I rebuild mine with a local rad shop...with the original lines already there. It's not that cheap to do it. They cut the original side tanks off and replaced & welded with a new 3 row high effecience copper core & painted all black/ flush out the coolant. $700 bills cdn with tax. I could have done a 4 row. Went with the 3 row HE, cools alright. Chip command keeps it close to 160-180* with the fan coming on.

My original rad untouched was about 25-30% clogged up

Last edited:
I brought a Champion radiator off EBay. Been going strong for 3 years now. Aluminum, great quality. I run straight distilled and RMI 25 all year around

I brought a Champion radiator off EBay. Been going strong for 3 years now. Aluminum, great quality. I run straight distilled and RMI 25 all year around

Are you still running the oil coolers through the radiator? Thanks.

Buy a radiator from any of the fast food parts stores for an '89 IROC with a tree-fiddy.

I recommend an external trans cooler (on all cars) and if you want to have an oil cooler, get an external one of those too. Many choose to run without the oil cooler and just stick with the trans.
firebird, camaro 88 from scrap yard 1.5 thick

No way I'd consider running a used one (ESP the trans cooler) when new ones are so cheap and have a lifetime warranty.

I just bought a new Cold Case radiator from Classic Industries for $355.00 + free shipping and I must say that I'm very happy with the quality of this radiator.

I just bought a new Cold Case radiator from Classic Industries for $355.00 + free shipping and I must say that I'm very happy with the quality of this radiator.

Now that sounds like a really good price and the free shipping is awesome. Thanks for lead!

No problem and OPG also has them for the same price + free shipping.
Here is the part #. 20180305_165459.jpg