Stock internals

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
Like I said...Plenty of people go above and beyond that 550-600 hp number. Some people grenade running 9s on stock stuff. Some people grenade running 14s/15s. It is all in the tune.

Doing a search on this forum shows this "limits of stock block/internals" question has come up a lot. The general consensus is 550-600 crank hp. If that is no longer true then so be it.

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
Like I said...Plenty of people go above and beyond that 550-600 hp number. Some people grenade running 9s on stock stuff. Some people grenade running 14s/15s. It is all in the tune.

Doing a search on this forum shows this "limits of stock block/internals" question has come up a lot. The general consensus is 550-600 crank hp. If that is no longer true then so be it.

I agree, I remember info from the ‘90’s saying 500 hp at the crank was the limit.
The average guy didn’t have access to data logging back then. Without data we have no clue what’s going on. Now that we have Scanmasters and Powerloggers we can all do a better job tuning, hopefully.
I love the guys that push the limits and have paved the way for us average guys to achieve greater success with these unique automobiles.

Mr.Spool

Guys we had nothing really to tune with in the 80s and 90s.
The tuning equipment is so much better now and allows certain hard parts myths to be easily surpassed.
Chassis tuning and the ability to control boost more accurately also plays a big part on how the motor lives.
The turbos and converters and tires are sooo much better as well.

Mr.Spool

The fuels and fuel systems available today also allow bigger power and less chance of detonation.

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
The tuning equipment is so much better now and allows certain hard parts myths to be easily surpassed.
Chassis tuning and the ability to control boost more accurately also plays a big part on how the motor lives.
Just to ad to that for me personally. Everything I had on my car was plug and play...including the line lock from Jack Cotton.

Mr.Spool

Just to ad to that for me personally. Everything I had on my car was plug and play...including the line lock from Jack Cotton.
Jack is good people!and another guy who went 9s on a stock shortblock.
You did really good with your build and actually used it lol.

Mr.Spool

The average guy didn’t have access to data logging back then. Without data we have no clue what’s going on
Yup
And alot of guys blew their shit up thinking it was hard parts failure when in fact it was not enough info failure.
Saw it plenty of times and was there myself.
We guessed alot back then cause you couldn't see shit.

87GNcospg

Send your Donations

I have a motor built by a reputable Buick builder that has been around for decades. I have closed loop operation with safety nets in place via a Holley setup. My tune is spot on.

I appreciate the other big power guys showing us that it can be done with a proper tune. The boundaries of our ancient tech block and internals can be pushed.

I just know I can't afford another Buick motor build at the moment so I keep it conservative for now :ROFLMAO:. Safety margin.

SCOOBY DOO

Yup
And alot of guys blew their shit up thinking it was hard parts failure when in fact it was not enough info failure.
Saw it plenty of times and was there myself.
We guessed alot back then cause you couldn't see shit.
I started out with Direct Scan and went to PL as soon as it came out. It was a nightmare. I got to the track with PL loaded...and a bunch of drivers and shit had to be added. Spent most of the evening getting it working. I thought you'd load it like a video game and follow the prompts LOL!

Mr.Spool

I have a motor built by a reputable Buick builder that has been around for decades. I have closed loop operation with safety nets in place via a Holley setup. My tune is spot on.

I appreciate the other big power guys showing us that it can be done with a proper tune. The boundaries of our ancient tech block and internals can be pushed.

I just know I can't afford another Buick motor build at the moment so I keep it conservative for now :ROFLMAO:. Safety margin.
I respect that
When you stay far from the cliff you wont fall off.

Mr.Spool

I started out with Direct Scan and went to PL as soon as it came out. It was a nightmare. I got to the track with PL loaded...and a bunch of drivers and shit had to be added. Spent most of the evening getting it working. I thought you'd load it like a video game and follow the prompts LOL!
Lmao
Its never what you think it's going to be.

ttypewhite

Hey guys.

Just had my TA49 upgraded to a TA60 & I'm wondering how the stock bottom end/internal will hold up. Think Chopper said the 60 is good to like 600 hp. I know it all depends on how good the tune is.

As far as I know everything is still stock on the inside. I've got mildly ported heads, new springs, timing chain, front cover, Janis trans, etc. Just wondering how long until I grenade it. LOL! Also, how long I'll have until I'll end up needing to go to forged internals, billet caps, etc.

I know nobody has any idea of this just trying to get an idea of how well the internals will hold up to the 60.

Thanks!

Your stock bottom end will hold up fine if it's tuned properly. One thing I would like to say in what you said, maybe not to yourself if you already know this, but to others reading. I have spoken to a lot of people that throw around hp numbers based in their turbo selection and say I have a 600hp Buick. The turbo is capable of certain numbers "IF" the supporting cast is there (ie: tranny, converter selection, fuel system, heads, cam, tune etc). I worked on a car this year where I was told everything about the car before it shadowed my front door. The numbers he told me was far from where it was. I was able to extract another 75 rear wheel hp on it at the dyno and he was elated with the increase from where it was, but it was still a good ways away from where it should be if everything is right. The converter and exhaust system imo was holding it back. I say that to say this, upgrading a turbo doesn't instantly make a Buick a beast and would like to insert a bit of reality that most people overlook. There are a select group of individuals that have a really good handle on these cars and can extract the most out of a setup, but that isn't the norm if that area of performance is out of your skill set, it takes a ton of r&d and money to get these results. Just food for thought, the TA60 will probably feel slower on the street than the 49 because of the instant torque, and won't see the benefits until above 22 pounds of boost.

SCOOBY DOO

I have a plx wideband and a 6.1 chip with a powerlogger. I have the map and fuel pressure hooked up to it. Adding alky pressure this spring. Logging everything is nice and the 6.1 (and all the new chips I think) can have their parameters be adjusted right from the powerlogger app on a laptop. the 6.1 is a great chip and I have 8 different adjustable areas I can “tune” for my combo.
Add 1 degree of low gear timing and it'll go into 'aggressive mode'. Read up on it at the bottom of Erics instructions.:cool:

'87 Turbo "T"

What a complete shitshow!!
Donations
$100.00
Your stock bottom end will hold up fine if it's tuned properly. One thing I would like to say in what you said, maybe not to yourself if you already know this, but to others reading. I have spoken to a lot of people that throw around hp numbers based in their turbo selection and say I have a 600hp Buick. The turbo is capable of certain numbers "IF" the supporting cast is there (ie: tranny, converter selection, fuel system, heads, cam, tune etc). I worked on a car this year where I was told everything about the car before it shadowed my front door. The numbers he told me was far from where it was. I was able to extract another 75 rear wheel hp on it at the dyno and he was elated with the increase from where it was, but it was still a good ways away from where it should be if everything is right. The converter and exhaust system imo was holding it back. I say that to say this, upgrading a turbo doesn't instantly make a Buick a beast and would like to insert a bit of reality that most people overlook. There are a select group of individuals that have a really good handle on these cars and can extract the most out of a setup, but that isn't the norm if that area of performance is out of your skill set, it takes a ton of r&d and money to get these results. Just food for thought, the TA60 will probably feel slower on the street than the 49 because of the instant torque, and won't see the benefits until above 22 pounds of boost.
Thanks!

Well hopefully I have a pretty good foundation setup. I do have some ported irons, Janis stage 2ish trans, TR6 ignition, new 255 fuel pump, Casper’s Hotwire, PLX wideband, Power Logger, new ALKY pump…..and some other NON-performance parts like a TA front cover, new valve springs, TA thicker rocker shafts, RJC shaft braces, new timing chain…..

Just have to go slow & take it easy as I learn to tune with the Power Logger & Eric’s 6.1 chip. Not to mention the videos on here to help.

Remove Ads From TurboBuick.Com

Yearly amount needed to remove ads from TurboBuick.Com
Goal
$12,000.00
Received
$2,246.00