Stock Ecm With 83lb Inj

MENTL231

What Exactly Is It That Needs To Be Done To Make A Stock Ecm Work With 83lb Injectors? Who Does This?

Bob Bailey use to do them not sure if he still does, Fullthrottle will hook you up. they do the driver in the ECM, you can get High Impedence 80#s now no ECM change:biggrin:

The drivers in the ecm need to be modified to run the low impedance injectors. I got mine done at Southeastern turbo Performance. I think they used to be one of the supporting vendors, but I just looked for their link and couldn't find it. I have an ecm that has already been modified that I was about to post in the sale section if you are interested.

I would definitely look at the injectors that blackmonte just mentioned.

Last I heard, the injector drivers needed were discontinued by the manufacturer (ON Semi ??). The supply had dried up. There might be some available in the "Grey Market" but then the quality will be suspect.

AEM makes an injector driver conversion type box but it is way expensive ($400???)

Here is the injectors that were mentioned:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ad...2-80-lb-hr-high-impedance-injector-promo.html

I drove around on an unmodified ecm for quite sometime. Probably 1000 miles with the stock block and a few hundred miles on the stage motor - using 83lb-ers.

I know at least one other guy that drove around on 55's for a few years with no problems.

If you already have chips (I have some) and a spare ECM, I don't think it's a bad gamble not to have one modified.

I drove around on an unmodified ecm for quite sometime. Probably 1000 miles with the stock block and a few hundred miles on the stage motor - using 83lb-ers.

I know at least one other guy that drove around on 55's for a few years with no problems.

If you already have chips (I have some) and a spare ECM, I don't think it's a bad gamble not to have one modified.

MY CAR NEVER RAN RIGHT. IT WAS OK UP TO 15-17 LBS. AFTER THAT AND SOMETIMES WHEN THE CAR GOT WARM IT WOULD RUN FUNNY. NOW ITS SKIPPING. I'M NOT GETTING A SIGNAL TO ONE OF THE INJECTORS. ITS FRUSTRATING.

If you had a spare ecm to switch over, you could confirm whether it's the problem. That or the injector harness - I haven't had one go bad, but I've diagnosed a couple on other cars that have gone bad.

You can try to isolate the problem by unplugging injector connectors as the engine is running. When you get to the one that makes no difference, then you know that's the cylinder that's the problem (if it is an injector issue).

I don't know "exactly" what happens when an ecm driver burns out, but I would suspect a miss in the engine that is 100% constant at all times. Maybe someone with a burned ECM can chime in.