Stock downpipe exhaust elbow question...

V6-Sauce

question, I'm going to replace my original stock downpipe elbow with a stock ported exhasut elbow. Which bolts is best to remove first. I guess I should use ultra copper (high-heat make a gasket stuff) when bolting on the new elbow. What size are these bolts just in case if they break/And how do u guys get to the bottom bolt on the turbo exhaust side(one bolt in the back-bottom). I can do it, just asking if there's a method to start first.
20180223_125829.jpg
20180223_125857.jpg
out, looks tight?

A trick I learned is let the engine heat up. Wear gloves. A torch is no substitute for the warm engine. Pray they don’t break off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a stock turbo but it was rebuilt, swaped out maybe 4 years ago, bolts where never replaced on the downpipe side

what's the bolt sizes for the 4 bolts on the turbo exhaust housing and the 2 big one's that bolt on the bottom of the elbow?

what's the bolt sizes for the 4 bolts on the turbo exhaust housing and the 2 big one's that bolt on the bottom of the elbow?

Iirc the elbow bolts are 13mm. The DP are 15mm. Hopefully someone will confirm.

Soak the DP bolts in WD40, they will come out NP. The elbow bolts are metric, not uncommon but can't remember the thread count/dia. If you break the head off, a set of WR vice gripes once the elbow is removed should be enough to get the remaining stud out. I think in general the bolts will break right where the head interfaces with the stud. A little patience working the bolts and they may not break.

I’m trying to remove the elbow and it’s a pita... I got the top 3 out, one broke so I have to deal with that, but the bottom one I cannot get to, any trick to reaching that bottom bolt?

Pull it off the car to get that bottom one. As far as getting them out, good luck. I cant remember how many broke but I welded a nut onto what was left and used an impact on it. Went back with never seize and some hex cap screws to make it easier.

Attachments

• PICT0042.jpg
    PICT0042.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 47
  • PICT0020.jpg
    PICT0020.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 59
I would soak all the bolts in penetrating oil for 2-3 days
retreating a couple times every day ,and thats a great tip to let the engine warm everything up
good luck

also sometimes it helps to give the bolts a couple firm taps with a hammer or punch
it helps break loose any seized rust on threads etc.

Kroil is the BEST penetrating oil out there , just give it or any other time to work .
I would soak all the bolts in penetrating oil for 2-3 days
retreating a couple times every day ,and thats a great tip to let the engine warm everything up
good luck

Op is from over a year ago. It’s good to see people are using the old threads to find answers! [emoji16]

Op is from over a year ago. It’s good to see people are using the old threads to find answers!