Steamed Hamburger

xcessiv6

Boom Tube
Was watching the travel channel on hamburgers and showed a couple places in Conn. that have them. Are they good ? How many places have them ?

Saw that too. At first I was thinking that couldn't be that good, but then I saw the melted cheese. Looks good. Brett, Bison, Otto, Mark- any of you had try these?

Maybe I can try some when I fly up for Otto's Grand Opening.

Krystal Burger and Whitecastle have been steaming burgers forever...I think theyre great!

There are a couple of places around here that do it. I eat my hamburgers just meat and bun.
My experience has been that they are actually very good and very tender. Actually the hamburger at these places wants to fall apart on the bun.
My son didn't like hamburgers at all. He tried one of those and liked it.

Louie's lunch makes a good burger but it's a small place and definately not fast food. But good, a bit expensive too. Burgers are on toasted simple bread not buns.

Wendy's has steamed square burgers, they aren't bad. :)

Louie's Lunch was one of them. They're claiming they invented the hamburger. There was another, don't remember the name.

We always called white castle sliders, they are not steamed but grilled on top of onions. They are better than Krystals. I had Maid Rite loose meat burgers, weren't bad just different.

Yep they invented it. :cool:

Not really steamed though I guess, vertically broiled.

" LOUIS' LORE
One day in the year 1900 a man dashed into a small New Haven luncheonette and asked for a quick meal that he could eat on the run. Louis Lassen, the establishment's owner, hurriedly sandwiched a broiled beef patty between two slices of bread and sent the customer on his way, so the story goes, with America's first hamburger.

The tiny eatery that made such a big impact on the eating habits of an entire nation was, of course, Louis' Lunch. Today, Louis' grandson, Ken, carries on the family tradition: hamburgers that have changed little from their historic prototype are still the specialty of the house. Each one is made from beef ground fresh each day, broiled vertically in the original cast iron grill and served between two slices of toast. Cheese, tomato and onion are the only acceptable garnish -- no true connoisseur would consider corrupting the classic taste with mustard or ketchup.

More than just another eating place, Louis' Lunch has held a special place in the hearts of New Haveners for generations. When it was threatened with demolition some years ago to make room for a new high rise, scores of people from all walks of life took up the cause for its preservation. Plans for its relocation were finalized just hours before the deadline and in a thirty minute journey by truck, the pocket-size landmark was moved to its present spot on Crown Street.

To help in the reconstruction, friends and supporters sent thousands of bricks from every corner of the globe. Each one has its own unique story and Ken Lassen proudly points them out to special visitors as he takes them on a "tour of the walls".

It doesn't take long for a lunchtime crowd to fill Louis' as it has every working day for more than three quarters of a century. Since most of the handful of seats are quickly taken, most of the customers just hurry in the door, yell out an order "to go" and hurry out again, taking with them a little bite of history. "

Hmmm, negatory there good buddy. Meat, ONION, and bun. :wink:

You know? Every once in a while McDonalds will let a few onions slip onto my plain meat and buns. It isn't bad! I have thought about trying one with a full helping of onions.:eek:

We always called white castle sliders, they are not steamed but grilled on top of onions..

Yep, they sure are. The burger is cooked on top of the onions, then covered with a stainless bowl. The onions and moisture from the beef "steam" under the bowl.