Stalling issue, no restart

Tori

Hey guys, my car just developed a problem today. Stalled while driving on the highway. Got it towed home, it sat all day until i got off work,... of course it restarted then but then died within a few blocks. Had to let it sit for a couple hours before it would restart, and got it the few blocks back home.

Checked the fuel pressure,... KOEO it was 40lb. Engine running, it was 34. Idled for about 8 minutes before it started running crappy again,... fuel pressure was back up to 39-40, running poorly, backfired a few times before stalling out.
-Was the FP up because of the low idle ?
-I'll check spark now that its dead, but where am i headed next ? Any suggestions ?

okay,.... put an in line spark tester on the car and restarted..... again it ran okay for a bit then started to cut out. I think it's loosing spark as the flash of the tester starts to get erratic.
.....Not sure where to go from here.......

Next time you have it running bump the orange fusible link wire coming off the battery terminal that powers the ECM and see if it dies out. They develop an internal connection break from bouncing for 35 years (ask me how I know).

Scanmaster readings?
ok,..... here's a video showing what it does and what the Scanmaster displays. Goes from running smooth to running poorly.
For what it's worth, before it was to temp, and at 109*
the CC was 117,
AF 06
L8 39/40
Int 128*
bL 128
Ats 67
TPS 44
IAC 41

Sounds to me as tho it's slowly running out of gas.
I would think if it were electric, the engine would die immediately.
When this happens, have you pulled the plugs and looked at them?
When you tried to restart, I heard a backfire in the exh.
AIRC, even with the chip idling in OL, the sensor still reports.

I always had known good parts to throw at engines if something like this came up. What's the exhaust smell like? Rich? I'd be tempted to throw a new Denso 02 sensor at it. Generally the module will act up after driving it for a few minutes and the engine will stall or run like shit. Once the engine cools it'll fire back up again and repeat the cycle. That air filter looks like shit. I have a vid on my channel of a locals module that went bad.

Sounds to me as tho it's slowly running out of gas.
I would think if it were electric, the engine would die immediately.
When this happens, have you pulled the plugs and looked at them?
When you tried to restart, I heard a backfire in the exh.
AIRC, even with the chip idling in OL, the sensor still reports.
Hi Chuck, thanks for the input. I did initially think it was a fuel issue, and have added 5 gals. I can hear the pump at each key cycle, and when it's acting up the fuel pressure is still in a decent range. I would think if it was starving for fuel, i wouldn't have any, or much FP.
I have not pulled a plug yet. I did start down the no start tree, but that led me to more questions i didn't have answers to. I have a local GN friend i'm going to borrow a module and coil pack from and see what happens.

I always had known good parts to throw at engines if something like this came up. What's the exhaust smell like? Rich? I'd be tempted to throw a new Denso 02 sensor at it. Generally the module will act up after driving it for a few minutes and the engine will stall or run like shit. Once the engine cools it'll fire back up again and repeat the cycle. That air filter looks like shit. I have a vid on my channel of a locals module that went bad.
Hi Scooby, the exhaust smells bad, stinky rich. I going to throw a different module and coil pack at it tonite and see what happens. What you described its eactly what it does. After a short drive, or idling for about 5 mins, is when it acts up.
I agree, the AF does look like shit. I'd like to find one that fits better but till then, i just leave the hood down. :)

The 02 sensor reports back to the ECM and it sets the fueling. If the sensor is fukd, you'll have fueling issues. Denso 02 is a couple of bucks. I had two go south on me and I had to swap in a new one on the side of the road. I always had a new 02 sensor in the glovebox and the wrench to change it.

Had a similar issue with my 87. Replaced ignition module and coil pack and problem disappeared. Good luck. ECUGN is in my future. The FAST XFI is a great tool on my setup but those that know how to tune using them is getting harder to find. Me personally, I would start looking at an ECUGN computer to make sure you protect your investment. IMHO of course. Good luck sir..

UPDATE: borrowed a coil and module from a friend..... figured i'd start the car and let it get to the point where it runs crappy so i could then quickly swap the parts and see if it was instantly fixed. Car ran for about 15 mins then died with really no symptoms beforehand. I cycled the key to confirm fuel pump, checked FP was good,.... and it restarted. Continued to run for the next 45 minutes without skipping a beat. FML

Hi Scooby, the exhaust smells bad, stinky rich.
That stink can be from very lean, too.
I saw the O2 readings taking a dump, while the engine was dying.
I think since the TT chip idles in OL, a fried O2 showing a serious drop, but it is not causing the fueling to go away.
Obviously, disregard if the chip does not idle in OL....

That stink can be from very lean, too.
I saw the O2 readings taking a dump, while the engine was dying.
I think since the TT chip idles in OL, a fried O2 showing a serious drop, but it is not causing the fueling to go away.
Obviously, disregard if the chip does not idle in OL....
Thanks Chuck, i've been reading up on Scanmaster readings trying to see where i might be off, and everyone reports having O2 readings much lower than mine, like 441. Mine are in the 800's. Why the huge difference ? How would i know if my chip idles in OL ? It's a TT chip, and was a fairly basic/common chip from what i recall when i ordered it.

In the vid you posted I recall seeing the O2 readings going from "normal" to very lean, while the engine was struggling to stay running.
My Tweak chip experience is limited. However, I recall seeing that his do idle in OL.
I'm sure he will respond if you post the info on the chip label.

Thought it was fixed,..... the symptoms changed from barely running and stalling out to being able to drive it around but then if you got on it, it would pop thru the intake, buck and fart, and go back to normal as soon as you got out of the gas. Swapped coils and it seemed to be fixed. Several full pulls and it was rock solid. Later in the day, I took it for a drive, and it acted up again on hard accel. This time backfiring thru the exhaust. Was fine again at idle and normal driving. Stopped at the hardware store and when i came out 10 minutes later it wont stay running. Cranks, fires, stumbles, pops, idles at about 200 rpm, then dies out. Fuggin' thing.