Stall converter upgrade from stock?

GNbythebay

Looking to upgrade my stock stall converter. I know nothing about stall converters/transmission parts. Here is a list of what I have done with my car now. CAI, TT Chip, TA49. 3 inch DP, 60 lbs injectors, upgraded fuel pump, Alkycontrol, valve springs, stretched stock location intercooler, transmission cooler, and I think that’s it. With the upgrades I have listed what would be the best converter for my set up? I use the car a handful of times at the strip but mostly daily driving (I do get on the car a lot) . Please give me some knowledge so I can be guided in the right direction.

You will get a lot of opinionshere. I know I did. I went with 2800 stall with lockup. I use my car maimly for cruising.

Looking to upgrade my stock stall converter. I know nothing about stall converters/transmission parts. Here is a list of what I have done with my car now. CAI, TT Chip, TA49. 3 inch DP, 60 lbs injectors, upgraded fuel pump, Alkycontrol, valve springs, stretched stock location intercooler, transmission cooler, and I think that’s it. With the upgrades I have listed what would be the best converter for my set up? I use the car a handful of times at the strip but mostly daily driving (I do get on the car a lot) . Please give me some knowledge so I can be guided in the right direction.
The TA49 works decent withteh stoc convertor. When you go to the track what is your 60'? How much boost do you leave with? How much boost are you running?
The 2800 stall mentioned should NOT be a 12" style (factory d5 restall) as they are slipping pigs due to the design .

The TA49 works decent withteh stoc convertor. When you go to the track what is your 60'? How much boost do you leave with? How much boost are you running?
The 2800 stall mentioned should NOT be a 12" style (factory d5 restall) as they are slipping pigs due to the design .
It’s been awhile since I’ve actually been to the track so mostly I’m looking for what would be the best converter to mess around with on the street

There's a few places that offer these converters you're looking for. You could use a standard 10" (245mm) converter in a low 2500-2800 range. These are a lot lighter and spool nicely and quicker than the stock 12" does. If you go with that stall range you should see 2300-2600 just driving around before boost and 2800-3000 when the boost starts coming in. The more boost you put to it the more flash stall you will get which is good when it comes to to racing or WOT pulls. Hope this helps.

If you haven't had the trans done yet. Then dont bother really going after performance.if you have i will offer you this the facts are the fastest 49 cars at the dragstrip of street have all run 3200 to 3500 stalls on a 10 or 9 inch convertes non lock and lockup in the 3600 to 3800 lb range with 1/4 mile traps speeds in the 120 to 125mph+ range 10 sec ets.1/8 mile in the mid to high 6 sec range with 1.4 60fts.

Leave the stock convertor in and dial in the low gear fuel/timing with Powerlogger. If the turbo has a Precision exhaust housing...swap to a Garrett .63 housing.. Easier than swapping to a looser convertor for better spoolup.

If the car is mostly street driven go with a 10" 2600-2800 L.U. converter. Edge makes a nice 10" L.U. converter that won't break the bank. If your transmission is all stock I would get it upgraded. It won't last long with the added torque.

If the car is mostly street driven go with a 10" 2600-2800 L.U. converter. Edge makes a nice 10" L.U. converter that won't break the bank. If your transmission is all stock I would get it upgraded. It won't last long with the added torque.
Thanks for that info but like I said I know very little with transmission so what would an upgraded transmission look like?

PTC 10" 2,800 LU would really compliment your set-up.

With your combo, the best converter I can think of is a Scanmaster, powerlogger, and a Translator that doesn't use a flaky POS stock style MAF.

I've been kicking around a 3021 converter for a while for, but am not equipped for a tranny pull and don't really have a connection to get it done . My car has never been in a shop. Car does run and spool very good but it would be a nice treat to change it and open door for a bit bigger snail.