Stage right adjustable servo install

85tr

Hi everyone , I have my transmission out of the the car to put in a new converter and am also installing this adjustable servo. I just want to make sure I have it set correctly to not hurt the band. Anyone have any experience adjusting this servo with the trans out if the car ? Thank.

Last edited:
No one ? How fast can I burn up the band if it's set incorrectly ? Will I have time to make adjustments before its toast ?

While I haven't used that particular unit I have been made to understand depending on which band material you are using it will require different clearances. So with that what band material are you using?

I think it is way easier to setup out of the car.

It is a stock transmission with stock bands. I put good fluid in and a shift kit while the car was still stock. Just started getting a little slow on the 1-2 shift and was hoping to get through the summer.

With transmission out of car, loosen the lock nut on the servo, tighten the setscrew with Allen wrench while turning the output shaft clockwise until the band is tight enough to stop the output shaft from turning, then loosen setscrew one-half a turn and turn output shaft. The shaft should turn freely with a "little drag". Turning the output shaft after adjusting the servo should require little more effort than without the servo installed. if you have any questions, feel free to call John at 386-243-0235 or call Lonnie at Extreme Automatics 513-898-0553.

Are we supposed to leave the 3rd accum piston out? That's the only way I was able to get it in...........

Yes! Where did you buy the servo? It should have came with instructions telling you to leave the piston out and it should also have included a red return spring as well. If you have any more questions, feel free to call me at 386-243-0235 or call Lonnie at Extreme Automatics at 513-898-0553

Yes! Where did you buy the servo? It should have came with instructions telling you to leave the piston out and it should also have included a red return spring as well. If you have any more questions, feel free to call me at 386-243-0235 or call Lonnie at Extreme Automatics at 513-898-0553
Bought it from Lonnie, but I believe it was drop shipped from you. I will check the package Monday. I did not get instructions or a spring.

Checked the box and it came from Florida. No spring, no instructions LOL. It did install easy and setup easier. Shifts are nice too. It's not behind a TR just a slow Monte SS.

Servo is in setup as mentioned and I have no second gear. Should I tighten it a bit more ? Also have a small leak at the base of the servo cap.

Servo is in setup as mentioned and I have no second gear. Should I tighten it a bit more ? Also have a small leak at the base of the servo cap.
You may have missed the band anchor. Tight it all the way and see if the driveshaft does not move. If it does you have missed the band anchor. Pull it out try again. If it won't turn back it off "some" and retry.

FWIW I put one of these in my tranny I just built for one of mine. Worked good and this am 2nd is slipping, so I am thinking I set it up too tight. I used the carbon band which likes it tight but whos I may have screwed something else up...LOL...worked great for 50 or so miles:)

I caught the anchor I was able to get the driveshaft to stop spinning. I am tempted to tighten it up more but am worried about the leak.

Gonna have to remove it and look at the seal on the servo cover. If you caught the anchor and still have no 2nd gear your adjustment must be waaaay loose.

How far does the servo travel to engage 2nd ? Wondering how small the adjustment would be from totally slipping to correctly engaging the gear.

That varies based on pin length. If you pin was ground before. Now it maybe too short.

It's never been ground. I guess I'm just trying to get my head around how it will not grab at all. The servo must not have a very large travel. I only backed the adjustment screw back a half turn from where it stopped the driveshaft.