Stage II picture thread- Let's see 'em!

image.jpg
image.jpg

I was just playing with the Ouija board, Rick James says he likes your valve covers.

Neal

Well Neal, I had to google Rick James. So my valve covers are super freaky? Lol

Purple is Cookie Monster's favorite color.

I like the valve covers. Different from the rest of the monotone cars. I want to do that to my engine all black and something neon or fuscia. Lol

Last edited:
Well Neal, I had to google Rick James. So my valve covers are super freaky? Lol

Purple is Cookie Monster's favorite color.

Something like that. :D Actually it would be pretty over the top if the car was that color. I like purple myself, back in '04 when I bought my GTO as a daily driver they offered a color called Cosmos Purple and the car had purple interior too. It was really cool and I wanted one that color.

Neal

Unknown-2.jpeg
images-3.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm building an ex-Foyt Buick Indy turbo engine for Bonneville (land speed) and am finding a lot of interesting and unique components relative to 'normal' Stage II engines. The cylinder heads are particularly interesting. They're a unique casting (as is the block). The photos show the Indy head next to a Indy Lights head (typical Stg. II). Note the inlet and outlet sizes.

DSC01246.JPG
DSC01247.JPG
DSC01248.JPG
DSC01249.JPG
DSC01251.JPG
DSC01250.JPG
DSC01253.JPG

So how do they flow? Here's the flow bench data comparing the regular Stage II head to the Indy head. Both were tested on the same Superflow bench at 28 in. hg. Note there is a difference in valve size. The Stage II head had 2.050" intakes and 1.650" exhausts, while the Indy head has 2.060" intakes and 1.600" exhausts. Heads were flowed with a fresh valve job. *Also note the Stage II head went turbulent at .650" lift on the intake side.

Intake (Stg. II/Indy Turbo)
.100 66/66
.200 139/131
.300 201/189
.400 254/250
.500 292/307
.600 312/341
.700 288*/351
.800 - /354

Exhaust (Stg. II/Indy Turbo)
.100 55/54
.200 118/104
.300 166/150
.400 195/206
.500 210/231
.600 215/243
.700 217/250
.800 - /256

Thanks for sharing, what are the intake port volume comparisons?

Don't know the port volumes; and since I don't have valves for the StgII head, I can't measure them. The Indy head is significantly larger, however.

Short deck Indy Stage II stuff is pretty unique. From the block to the heads, cam etc. it's all different from conventional Stage II stuff. Should be a neat engine for Bonneville once you get it back together.

Good Luck

Neal

Where did you find such a rare intake...looks sweet?

Hogan makes a great looking intake! Question: With ports that large what would be the limits of your rpm? You would have to keep feeding that motor with a ton of airflow so that it doesn't run out of breath. What brand is the preferred rocker and lifter, Jesel? On my first twin turbo motor I had 2 Mitsubishi 80mm turbos. The had very large compressor housings and small turbine housings that came from an Indy motor. All of those engine parts were purchased from Bill Tempero, aluminum blocks, cranks and even an off center 4.1 short deck, large bore, short block from back in the day. I will try to dig up some of those pics. I don't know if you remember a guy named Bob Gribble, owner of Muscle Motorsports in NC ( he passed away a few years ago) he used to race Bonneville in a Merkur Xr4Ti with different stage 2 motors and I saw and learned a lot of interesting things also.

image.jpg
image.jpg
2 more complete engines added that may come to Bowling Green if there enough interest.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 200
I bought it from a nice Canadian. I got a great deal on it! Thanks Norbs! My engine is 276 ci. 9.5:1 I'm running the Holley EFI. There are a few tricks to spool it with that EFI. The runners are same length as my brothers CAS Sheet metal intake. The angle on the Hogan is steeper. Runner length is right at an inch longer that a stock intake. Volume is roughly the same as a BGC. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think it'll make power close to a stock style intake. The Stage 2 Head Hogans intake in the pictures below my post is close to twice the size as the off center stock head intake I have. If it kills performance I'll go back to a stock style set up. I got such a deal on it , and it looks so good I've got to run it.

Last edited: