Stage II headed 4.1

juan89

Here is a picture of my current project.

Unported stage II heads with ls1 beehive springs.
4.1 stock block with 218/218 cam and atr headers.

IMG_0179.JPG

Looks cool, so any 4.1 block can use these heads? I know nothing about stage 2 motors.

You need a stage 2 intake right?

Why would you use these on a stock block? Are you going to drill and tap for the extra head studs? I wouldn't use these heads on a stock block it will be a slug down low and you most likely wouldn't see good usable street power with these IMO . Good luck with our build and hope it gives you what u r looking for .

The unported heads will work OK on a 4.1. The ports are rather small in their original configuration. no stock block will accommodate the extra head bolts......no material in the needed locations.

You will find that the springs you have selected will be inadequate to control the valves at higher RPM (above 5000). I have been through this exercise before. S2 heads require alot more spring pressure even with mild cams

If you are looking for S2 valvetrain components send me a PM. I have LOTS of rockers, springs, pushrods etc for S2 engines.

The unported heads will work OK on a 4.1. The ports are rather small in their original configuration. no stock block will accommodate the extra head bolts......no material in the needed locations.

You will find that the springs you have selected will be inadequate to control the valves at higher RPM (above 5000). I have been through this exercise before. S2 heads require alot more spring pressure even with mild cams

If you are looking for S2 valvetrain components send me a PM. I have LOTS of rockers, springs, pushrods etc for S2 engines.
And a curious exercise it is.

So was it just that?....An exercise? What did you do for headers? Intake? General fitment issues for all types of other things?

I know you can use stage heads on any production block. And I certainly would use a set of stage heads to bolt to a production block if I wanted to mock up fabrication for an Off-Center Stage Motor that was being built for me somewhere else for a later time.

However, It doesn't seem to make sense to permanently add this complexity to a combination that will make anything less than a thousand horsepower.

Am I missing something? Does it?

I think it make more power with less boost. It will more easily chew through the boost at higher revs. He can add on to the engine some other day. Not the simple way to do things but It's up to him.

Certainly does add a ton of complexity! I've been through a full S2 build on my old racecar. Many parts to make. But still could be done with a stock block. Would I do it? Heck NO! But maybe he plans on TA block someday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Certainly does add a ton of complexity! I've been through a full S2 build on my old racecar. Many parts to make. But still could be done with a stock block. Would I do it? Heck NO! But maybe he plans on TA block someday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yes. As I stated earlier. This would be a perfect opportunity to basically run a mock-up for a high-powered engine being assembled for future use. Of course, it would also have to be an OFF-CENTER application.

My Stage is an off-center block. I began mock-up and fabrication almost 2 years before my engine was built. I used a blown-up production block, but it also had production type configured heads. If I ever thought I would build a track car well over a 1000HP, I could have done the same thing with Stage heads.

I am just doing it for fun .
I have another 274" stage II engine with Champion R heads.
It is just a conversation piece to be different.
It is going in my El Camino hybrid and I am looking at 500HP max.

Juan

I am just doing it for fun .
I have another 274" stage II engine with Champion R heads.
It is just a conversation piece to be different.
It is going in my El Camino hybrid and I am looking at 500HP max.

Juan
This sounds kind of cool I guess. Why not do a high compression carbed NA set-up? This would simplify things a bit for fun street use.

I have enough leftover S2 parts laying around to build a short stroke Carbed Engine. I Just need to finish the line bore, sleeve block, and order a set of custom pistons to finish it up....................... A rainy day project. It would be cool to build and put into something small and light........like a Solstice or Sky.

An engine capable of 8500 RPM in a little car might be a blast!!!!!!

wow stage heads not used up :)

sounds like something Id do . . give it hell :))
Not surprisingly, there are tons and tons to be found. And usually very cheap.

But it goes back to what to do with them. Not at all an economical or practical need for them on much of what TR owners are driving. Even I, when planning out my twin turbo set-up, dismissed them. Using a production style head opens you up to all the other things that help simplify building a solid performer.

But don't get me wrong......For the big power! They are king.

Since I run Stage II heads I'm a big fan. It sounds like a cool idea, keep us posted on the results. (y)

Neal