Stage 2: Which cam?

Squid4life

So I have 2 cams I can choose from for my Stage 2 that is coming together soon. I should have cam cards for each of them from when I had Crower spin them when I still lived in SoCal, but don't have access to them at the moment, so this is the info I have for each:

Cam 1: New Reed hyd roller 232/232, .560/.560, 110 l/c, 270 adv.
Cam 2: Used Comp XSR 4874/4874 R113, 240 @ .050, 160 @ .200

I understand these may be "old tech" as well, so if I need to get something different I guess I could, but prefer to run what I have.

-Engine is a 153 on center, 3.59 BMS crank, 6.5" Crower Ti rods, 4.030" JE's. ~275 cu in.
-Heads are BMS stage 2, 2.100 SS, 1.625 inconel, 250 seat, 540 open, 1.24 bind, 2.0 installed, with Jesels.
-Turbo is either a 76mm JB Precision (PTB 600-1875, 76 GTSH, TH96GTS) or a ball bearing from VS Racing as I am about to be a dealer for them.
-IC is an RJC 475-4 FMIC.
-Trans is a built FMVB TH400 with a brake, converter I am not 100% sure on, it came with the 25.5 car I bought long ago but IIRC it was 3,800-4,000. If need be, I can get rid of it and buy something else. I want this done right.
-Engine management is HP EFI from Cruz.
-Car is an 87 GN that is getting scaled, put on a diet, weight moved to rear, and suspension set up for street traction. (gbp alum GM reps in 7"/10" with 275 ET Street Pros, fiberglass bumper up front, alum core support and bumper brackets, no AC/heat, manual brakes, aluminum downpipe and "exhaust", battery to trunk, etc. She'll get lighter and lighter as I do more. Adjustable rear uppers, HR Parts solid lowers currently. Weighing options on front/rear springs/shocks/coilovers for best setup.)

No ET or HP goal in mind as we don't even have a track right now on this tiny island ~42 miles across, but we do have some pretty legit street racing. 1,000 to 1,500 hp cars aren't out of the ordinary. Car is being built to be a nasty street grudge car that gets out once a week or two. I am a vendor for BOOStane so can run high octane all day every day, and am even looking into becoming a VP dealer for race fuel/meth. I have a couple Razors kits on the shelf too if I need one. I have 160 lb/hr injectors but am a dealer for FIC so that is pretty unlimited.

Plan to use the Holley HP EFI for boost control, and will most likely upgrade to using traction control too as I am sure it'll end up needing it being on a small tire. I am not too concerned about creature comforts and drivability, or excessive preventive maintenance. I have no issue kicking the car into neutral at a stop light to keep it running if need be, I won't have vac brakes anymore. I planned on using bushed solid rollers, wasn't sure if I could technically on the Reed cam.

So, having said all that, what do you think? I am open to suggestions, input, etc mainly on the cam, converter, and turbo selection. I posted what I have, and would love it if it all worked well together, but I am not above selling some of it and upgrading to something better.

ttypewhite

What compression is the engine? With the spring pressures you gave, you should be looking into a solid roller cam and lifters, not a hydr roller. The RJC 475 is a fantastic unit, but it is thick, and on the street you better have some really good fans to keep the temps down.

Mr.Spool

So I have 2 cams I can choose from for my Stage 2 that is coming together soon. I should have cam cards for each of them from when I had Crower spin them when I still lived in SoCal, but don't have access to them at the moment, so this is the info I have for each:

Cam 1: New Reed hyd roller 232/232, .560/.560, 110 l/c, 270 adv.
Cam 2: Used Comp XSR 4874/4874 R113, 240 @ .050, 160 @ .200
is your question which one should you use?or should you use either and go for a new stick?

Mr.Spool

So, having said all that, what do you think? I am open to suggestions, input, etc mainly on the cam, converter, and turbo selection.
need to focus on getting the power on the tire sooner and managing that power,if you build it to peaky you will most likely being seeing taillights alot.motor compression,cam,turbo,converter plays a big role,but suspension and tire choice is huge.

Squid4life

What compression is the engine? With the spring pressures you gave, you should be looking into a solid roller cam and lifters, not a hydr roller. The RJC 475 is a fantastic unit, but it is thick, and on the street you better have some really good fans to keep the temps down.

Heads were set up for one of those two cams, but it’s been like 6 years ago so I forget which one to be honest. I agree on solid roller, that was the plan all along. I may have gotten solid/hyd mixed up when I was taking notes or even purchasing the cam. This build has taken forever due to assignments in the Navy, but now I am retired running my own off road and perf business so finally trying to get it together.

Comp of the motor would have been 9 or 9.5.

For cooling I’ll be running an aftermarket rad and fans, plus an elec water pump. I knew any FMIC in Hawaii would need max cooling, and SLIC wouldn’t be enough.

I had an entire notebook of build specs and details on everything but unfortunately it was one of the items that came up missing in our last move.

Squid4life

is your question which one should you use?or should you use either and go for a new stick?

Yes. Lol

Like I said, would be great if one of the cams I had worked out, but I am not opposed to buying a new one if need be. The cams came from Alan/ Turbobitt and Neal S if I remember right, and at the time we were collecting parts for the build they were really good choices. But that’s been a hot minute ago so there may be new/better choices out there.

BuickMikeStgII

Get a solid roller in the 236/236 range for some street driving. Look up the 4874 lobe and post back what you come up with.
With a decent fan i would not worry about the intercooler...

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
I’m running a solid roller 230/230 and it works . I drive on the street all the time . It is alil loud but nothing to crazy .

turbobitt

Yes. Lol

Like I said, would be great if one of the cams I had worked out, but I am not opposed to buying a new one if need be. The cams came from Alan/ Turbobitt and Neal S if I remember right, and at the time we were collecting parts for the build they were really good choices. But that’s been a hot minute ago so there may be new/better choices out there.
Yes the XSR 4874/4874 was a old Dutweiler spec grind that made 928HP at the tire on a solid lifter with an old clunky Turbonetics turbo at 30 lbs boost and was out of turbo.

AG.

Squid4life

Based on spring pressures, and personal feelings on what "should" make more power, I am swaying more towards the Comp solid.