Stage 2 TT street car

Funny thing I noticed.................

Way back on page 5, in posts #86, 87 and 88, you thought you were going to reuse your old exhaust.
I asked you about that.

I guess you did what we all do. Changed your mind.:)

And so the budget grows.

BTW, I did the same thing you did. Right down to the increased pipe diameter after the axle loop at the tailpipes.

Oh,
And one more thing...........

I am seriously considering re-doing my exhaust in the near future.

Like most of us, since my car is used only for fair weather driving, to and from the track and shows, and it's almost never started unless it's going to get a whole day of driving, and my underside is kept spotless clean, I am strongly thinking of going with an ALL ALUMINUM full exhaust WITHOUT ANY MUFFLERS.

I can't sell my stainless exhaust because it will never fit on any TR except mine. So I would keep it just in case it doesn't work out for the long term.

Ever consider this as an option? Or will I have to do it first just to tell everyone how F*CKED up my thought process was? :D

Can we get a wide angle photo from the front of the whole engine compartment? I wan't to see it in all it's final configuration.

I typically get to work on the GN a couple hours a week but with the holidays I got to spend a few days out there finishing the welding. Dropped the car down on its tires for the first time in about a year. Should be ready to drive in snowy Jan., at least to the shop for a dyno tune. In deciding what to do about the exhaust, I was looking at the new double hump trans crossmember and I just couldn't resist running a custom 3" exhaust. As a bonus I don't have to fight the crossover pipe when working on the car as with the stock-style exhaust. I really like the way the 4" tail pipes look tucked away in the stock location. I tried to get the single 4" exhaust vendor to add another pipe to the driver's side to give the look of a balanced dual 4" system but he couldn't/wouldn't do it. I think more people would buy his system if he did add a pipe to the driver's side, it would probably sound better as well.
Welded up all the exhaust hangers, re-worked the driver's DP, re-installed the MC & pressure bled, brake pedal is very solid.
DSCF2302.JPG DSCF2304.JPG DSCF2307.JPG DSCF2312.JPG DSCF2318.JPG
This was the easiest fastest one man brake bleed I have ever done, 20 psi and crack the bleed screws, 10 min job.

Mike

I'm trying hard to find the perfect words to say. But I guess "outstanding" and "congratulations" are just going to have to do.

After you get this thing on the road and to the dyno, you should pick-up a couple of good bottles of wine and some fat steaks, invite some of the people over that helped you get this far, and have a little shin-dig.

I believe I will be copying your brake bleeding method next time I have to do it myself! Great idea! I guess you just drilled and tapped a couple of NPT holes in the cover and when not in use, you use a couple of nice flat plugs. I love it.

Thanks Joe, the small flat fitting on the MC cover is a flush mount valve stem I was going to use to vent the system but it turns out I didn't need it. When its time to add more fluid I just closed off the ball valve, disconnected the air line and slowly opened the ball valve, no fluid came out during venting. No celebrating till the engine fires off, planning to prime it this weekend, fill with fluids and call Cal to see if the settings are ok in FAST to start it. I bought the FAST from Richard in NC who had it in his Stage II car that broke a rod a few years ago and that engine was very similar to mine, it has a Cal Hartline tune in it now for the S2 w/120 injectors.

Mike

Mike

Good luck!

I appreciate the effort you make to keep this thread going and find it difficult to believe you even have the time to post-up your progress with this build. Life sometimes just doesn't allow for this.

I did my set-up at home. And I am not a mechanic or professional fabricator. When I started my project, I never even owned or worked on any other hot-rod in my life. Nor did I frequently own or use the tools needed to do this sort of thing. So I definitely know how tough it could be to plan out and complete a project like this.

Thank you!

That motor looks pissed off already. Fantastic job!!! If you have any more room in your trunk, you should put your alky tank back there. I noticed after cruising my car in the summer I could see my alky bubbling in the tank because of the heat, so I put it in the trunk.

That motor looks pissed off already. Fantastic job!!! If you have any more room in your trunk, you should put your alky tank back there. I noticed after cruising my car in the summer I could see my alky bubbling in the tank because of the heat, so I put it in the trunk.
I agree.

I too have the alky tank in the trunk (Mike has a nice looking cell, but I did mine long ago and used a plastic one that holds 3 gallons). My pump is mounted under the trunk pan. I did the install like this right from the beginning. It helped clean out the engine bay a little too. Just be sure to give it a good long prime, and repeat occasionally.

Wish Metco still made those spare tire well tanks...

You are right about that, the wastegate pipe runs right next to the tank. I have a scrap piece of rocket engine insulation temporarily placed between the tank and the exhaust. I want to get it running/driving before I change anything else........ but I have my eye on the ProMeth individual runner system with a trunk tank:
https://prometh.com/collections/noz...anol-injection-6-cylinder?variant=30885473091
I recall others who have traveled this road that when pushing the up-pipe nozzle design hard the methanol distribution becomes uneven and pop goes the head. I asked Bison if he could setup his new spray bar system in the S2 4bbl intake but he said it would cost quite a bit because of the testing time he would need to invest. A nozzle for each runner seems like the smart thing to do.

Mike

I see they have a 4bbl plate for injection. That would be easier to set up.

You are right about that, the wastegate pipe runs right next to the tank. I have a scrap piece of rocket engine insulation temporarily placed between the tank and the exhaust. I want to get it running/driving before I change anything else........ but I have my eye on the ProMeth individual runner system with a trunk tank:
https://prometh.com/collections/noz...anol-injection-6-cylinder?variant=30885473091
I recall others who have traveled this road that when pushing the up-pipe nozzle design hard the methanol distribution becomes uneven and pop goes the head. I asked Bison if he could setup his new spray bar system in the S2 4bbl intake but he said it would cost quite a bit because of the testing time he would need to invest. A nozzle for each runner seems like the smart thing to do.

Mike
Very nice set-up. But I wouldn't know what nozzles to choose. I guess I would have to do some some research and get some consulting for that.

On another note....If you have EGT probes in each primary, you can easily see if there is a problem with the alky being evenly distributed. If it's off a bit, and you are not running on the ragged edge of timing, then you can even things out a little with the fuel correction. I have found that overall, mine is pretty good. I must have gotten lucky when I created a baffle in the plenum to try to direct air flow to the runners evenly. It must have helped with the alky too. A little tweak of the percentage for the rich and the lean and I'm dead on.

After the 3rd try trying to get it to seal I threw the fuel filter assembly from the Racetronix teflon hose kit where it belongs, in the trash. POS blew gas all over floor when I turned the key, it leaked where the housing attaches to the head and out of the screw that holds the filter housing on. I found this on another forum:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/dangerous-leaking-pro-products-fuel-filter.274717/
Since mine does not have Fram on it I believe Racetronix sold some of their 1st gen. fuel line kits with this Pro Products POS. If you have one, throw it away. Nothing makes the wife more angry than the house smelling like gas....other than metal slivers trampled in the house after metal working. I'm so fortunate this happened now and not when running the car.

Right about the time I bought my fuel line kit Racetronix wrote this:
Bad news folks. We do not have any more FRAM filters left and in the past couple months they have more than tripled the price of the filter assembly. We are therefore looking for a replacement which can use the WIX filter. Until such time we have disabled the ability to purchase our line kits. Sorry for the inconvenience.
So I guess I got one of the cheap substitutes. One of their new style filters is on the way.

Mike

Last edited:
After the 3rd try trying to get it to seal I threw the fuel filter assembly from the Racetronix teflon hose kit where it belongs, in the trash. POS blew gas all over floor when I turned the key, it leaked where the housing attaches to the head and out of the screw that holds the filter housing on. I found this on another forum:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/dangerous-leaking-pro-products-fuel-filter.274717/
Since mine does not have Fram on it I believe Racetronix sold some of their 1st gen. fuel line kits with this Pro Products POS. If you have one, throw it away. Nothing makes the wife more angry than the house smelling like gas....other than metal slivers trampled in the house after metal working. I'm so fortunate this happened now and not when running the car.

Right about the time I bought my fuel line kit Racetronix wrote this:,
Bad news folks. We do not have any more FRAM filters left and in the past couple months they have more than tripled the price of the filter assembly. We are therefore looking for a replacement which can use the WIX filter. Until such time we have disabled the ability to purchase our line kits. Sorry for the inconvenience.
So I guess I got one of the cheap substitutes. One of their new style filters is on the way.

Mike

Mike i have Racetronix fuel kit and i have been 100% happy, i like you hated the smell of gas and my wife wanted to throw a match and burn my car lol. Since i installed the Racetronix kit there is NO GAS SMELL and the wife actually likes my car. I believe you will be happy, gas is not your friend unless it's us farting.

Your project is awesome

Cheers