Stage 2 Headers & DP

hemi8

Goin Sideways
Stage 2 with stage 2 heads, single 4 bolt turbo, 4in V-band DP, no A/C box. Last post on this subject had 4300 hits so there must be quite an interest.

Mike

I've been thinking this over a bit since you asked me about them a while back. I would still like to build these as a production run. Last time I proposed it, I had zero response for the headers. A production run of 5 sets of headers doesn't lower the cost much more than making them custom, so I just decided to do custom. The problem with custom is it requires me to have your car and engine and takes me a few months of weekends to finish a set. I got tired of spending all my weekends doing shop work. 5 sets is hardly enough to justify building jigs. And the cost of the jig spread out over 5 sets defeats the cost benefits of a production run. But, if there is enough interest I would consider it again. I have some projects that need to be finished before I could do this.

If I built them, they will be just like the ones I built for RichardV6. 304SS with mild steel flanges.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/stage-2-header-build-part-2.393765/

I would offer a 3.5" downpipe. 4" is hard enough to do on a custom build, making one that fit every car without issue would be near impossible. The vband downpipe flange on a typical Precision 7675 is setup for 3.5" anyways. I would try to make them fit an A/C car. If it doesn't fit an a/c car, you loose a lot of potential buyers and I think I can make it work. Just need an a/c car to build the prototype on.

Here are the issues:
Jeep Steering Shaft
LT4 starter (nippondenso I think)
You would have to either send me your wastegate or weld your own flange on.
I would not want to return the wastegate back into the downpipe. This is tough to do because it limits movement of the downpipe to make it fit the variations in peoples cars. This could of course be done by your local shop.

Price is the next big hurdle. I haven't spent a lot of time putting numbers together, it would take a minimum of 5 sets and I think they would be somewhere in the $2000 range for headers and $500 for a downpipe. Maybe more maybe less, I wouldn't give an actual price until the prototypes were made and I could get quotes on getting tubes bent/ cut. I would have to become a vendor here to do this also.

Show of hands. If I built them for ~$2500 a set, who would be seriously interested. If you had to put down a $1000 deposit today and wait a year to get them, would you do it? You would also have to promise your buying them to use and not have them reproduced in china. :)

If you look at how I did my wastegate, it can be returned back into the DP, but you will have to relocated the A/c accumulator, a PITA , but the stock ac plenum wont fit anyway without extensive mods for the rocker cover. So I would not be too concerned about A\C cars, Or add $500 to the price as an option, for the extra fitting.