Speedometer cable routing

87TurboTrex

Hey guys, I had to re-register since I originally registered between October 18 and the time of the datacenter episode. Anyway, I have a question regarding the speedometer cable routing, particularly around the brake booster and firewall entry point.

In the attached pic, this is how the cable was routed when I purchased the car. It runs through the retaining tab that holds the cruise control cable and windshield washer hoses and then into the firewall. The cable has been replaced at some point because the one that was in it when I purchased the car is a one-piece unit.

My concern is that this much bending of the cable in this route may cause issues. I don't know if this matches the factory routing or not. Any advice or info will be much appreciated.

Speedometer cable routing.jpg

mine is routed (looped) underneath the brake assembly. It's a much smoother radius bend

mine is routed (looped) underneath the brake assembly. It's a much smoother radius bend
That kind of matches what I was thinking. Speedo is jumping around and I don't like the multiple bends in my current routing. I'm installing a new cable and want everything to be right.

That kind of matches what I was thinking. Speedo is jumping around and I don't like the multiple bends in my current routing. I'm installing a new cable and want everything to be right.

Every now and than my speedometer needle will do that bounce thing. Find a nice straight stretch of road and back up a quarter mile or so and always seems to fix it. Think after lots of miles and age it needs some grease on the cable and it starts to bind a little bit.