Stage 2 cam help.

To add more, here are the rules and my specs.

Flat tappet. Any engine as long as it existed before 1970. Unlimited heads, unlimited oiling or block or cubes. Carb limited to multiple 2bbls, no nos. Manual trans or clutch auto. Straight front axle. Pre 70 rear, pre 75 body. Minimum 100 mile street trip, pump available fuel. Dot avail pie crust bias ply tires. Max 10 wide.

I have a 72 luv, engine set back 6 inches behind front axle center. A Charlie ladder suspension special with a 63 Pontiac rear 11" Buick drums, super T10 trans. 38 Chevy front axle with g body disc. 8 point cage. Weigh in at an estimated 2760lbs. I have cleared using an even fire stage 2 since technically the Buick v6 appeared in 62. Body approved and cage cleared. Fuel chosen is E85. Carbs are 8X holley 94's.

Lots of early hemi's, flattys, BBC,s, and max wedge mopars are what I will be facing. Most blown or with huge tunnel rams.

:D

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

As much as possible at higher lifts. It depends on the limitations of the valvetrain. What is the most lift you can run with current configuration. Usually we are at the mercy of lift on the small hyd fast ramp applications but for this application we might have other limitations even with the .904" lifter.

So I need to mock up and determine how much lift for how long in crank degrees I can handle and they and choose a lobe that meets min clearance requirements without over taxing the lobe shape itself based on the rate the lobe diameter can climb the lifter. So basically I need to damn near max out every parameter to make the number with a flat tappet.

Got it.

Time to tool up and send the heads for flowing.

:D

OK let me throw down here. FIRST THING you need to do is actually set up a block with a flat tappet cam and lifters installed. Even if its just a stock cam. I have never even owned a buick flat tappet cam so bear with me , but I highly suspect that you will run into issues with anything bigger than a .842 liter. The cam lobes are so closely spaced together that I feel a bigger lifter will start really getting close to hitting te lobes on each side of each lifter. Mushroom liters will defenetly be out IMO!!! Please , before you order anything , take the time to set one up and check it out from the crank side of things to determine if it is possile. Mike

Thanks to everybody with there help for my super stupid flat tappet mushroom death cam!

Special thanks to Norbs for the head and ignition advice

My last piece and can have arrived I'm ready to build my stage 2

Attachments

• 1382742839283.jpg
    1382742839283.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 216
OK let me throw down here. FIRST THING you need to do is actually set up a block with a flat tappet cam and lifters installed. Even if its just a stock cam. I have never even owned a buick flat tappet cam so bear with me , but I highly suspect that you will run into issues with anything bigger than a .842 liter. The cam lobes are so closely spaced together that I feel a bigger lifter will start really getting close to hitting te lobes on each side of each lifter. Mushroom liters will defenetly be out IMO!!! Please , before you order anything , take the time to set one up and check it out from the crank side of things to determine if it is possile. Mike

Ok I need to know !! Did you check out the issues above , and can a mushroom lifter be used ??? Mike

Im really shocked that a mushroom lifter will clear the swinging lobes beside it. What woul you say is the maximum diameter of the mushroom head that will clear a standard cam lobe. This is really good info!! Thanks for sharing. Mike

Mike, the lobes have been narrowed as normal width did cause interference. My can grinder ensured it would last the journey... I have faith... we will see.