stage 2 block oiling

gobabygo

how much trouble is it to have the factory style oiling system on my on center stage 2 engine? it is going to be a driver and i want under the hood to look stock. thanks

No pickup tube on the later on centers, so if you don't want to run a dry sump you can run a White/ Duttweiler/ TA oil pump setup which mounts to the front cover, but has a pickup hose run to the pan. You use the stock front cover, but you have to either mill the front cover or use spacers on the crank (and maybe the cam) which are ~ .120

If you search, there are a handful of threads showing this setup or talking about it. I will see what I can dig up a little later if you don't find them.

Squid4life Can you post up some pics of what it look like? I think I just bought a motor that have something like that. How can you tell if it is on center or off center?

thx

Squid4life Can you post up some pics of what it look like? I think I just bought a motor that have something like that. How can you tell if it is on center or off center?

thx

Here is one in the first pic/ post of this thread:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/stage-ii-tech/314360-my-t-aluminum-motor.html

It has 3 hoses. One to the pan as a pickup, one to the fuel pump block off plate (as the return?), and I think to the main supply on the front/top to the left of the cam sensor. I forget, but we should be able to find more info on routing. These are supposedly damn good setups, always see guys running them who do not want to mess with dry sump.

Oops, sorry, forgot to answer that part... Like Chuck said, casting number on block. Popular numbers are 153 (on center) and 016 (off center).

Ok I have the 016 block ,I'll take some pics of my setup maybe you guys could tell me what I have

Thx

Cool, would love to see it. So 016 being off center means it can share parts from the stock 109 including intake, crank, rods, etc.

Attachments

• OIL 2.jpg
    OIL 2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 394
  • OIL 1.jpg
    OIL 1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 434
how much trouble is it to have the factory style oiling system on my on center stage 2 engine? it is going to be a driver and i want under the hood to look stock. thanks

If you can fit a stock style cover/pump assemble to your stage block, TA Performance has an oil screen/pick-up/adapter that will work for this application. :)

Just passing on a little information. A long time ago, maybe 15 to 20 years ago, I saw a Stage II (153) on-center block that had been reconfigured for internal oiling. The pump cover appeared stock with everything inside. This guy, I think they called him the "Professor", had created internal oil passages so it worked like a stock block and looked like one too! I believe he did a handful or so in various forms and I think he also converted some 109 stock blocks to 14 bolt heads. He must be dirt old by now, seriously doubt he could duplicate one of those again. So, for your information, I know for a fact that it can be done.

Just passing on a little information. A long time ago, maybe 15 to 20 years ago, I saw a Stage II (153) on-center block that had been reconfigured for internal oiling. The pump cover appeared stock with everything inside. This guy, I think they called him the "Professor", had created internal oil passages so it worked like a stock block and looked like one too! I believe he did a handful or so in various forms and I think he also converted some 109 stock blocks to 14 bolt heads. He must be dirt old by now, seriously doubt he could duplicate one of those again. So, for your information, I know for a fact that it can be done.

I have a stage II motor with the internal oil system and the stock timing chain cover. I do beleave that one of the Buick Performace Books shows you how to do it.

My block is one of the last Ruggles stage II on-center with stock style front cover with internal oiling system.

The 4 bolt center, 2 bolt outer 153 blocks have the pad for the pick up like a 012 or 016 off center block. Not in the same spot as a 109, the 4 bolt centers are in the way of that. parts for sale jan11 001.jpg

on my last couple of stage motors i had to make my own pick up tube for internal oiling. I machined the flange that bolts to the block out of billet mild steel, used a stock screened sump and just bent a piece of 3/4" tubing and welded it together in two places. Wasnt to hard. I did make a few extra pick up fittings. see pics below
S2-pu-boss.jpgS2-PU-T.jpgS2-PU-T2.jpg

we have also made some pans for use with the duttweiler oiling system that had an external pickup. We used a moroso pick up tube and modified the pan to suite.
DSOP-ext-pu3s.jpg