Sputtering

xrunner123

The family went for a leisurely drive for about an hour in the GN. I parked the car and when I restarted it 15 minutes later it stalled when it went into gear. It did that twice and the 3rd time it sputtered on light gas. The check engine light flickered on then 2 seconds later it was fine. It drove fine all the way home.

There are no codes and the car runs god now. Any idea what happened? I assume some sensor is on the way out?

Thanks

Sounds like the transmission lockup solenoid is flaking out. Might want to replace it before it sticks you somewhere. You need the 700-R4 one, it is longer.

Really? Can the solenoid lock up in first so it stalls? Car goes in and out of lockup fine on the highway.
Could it be anything else?
Thanks!

FWIW tapping the MAF isn't always conclusive for diagnosing problems. I've seen bad maf's that do not respond to the tap test. I always unplug it. If it runs unplugged then it's either the mass or a massive post MAF air leak.

FWIW tapping the MAF isn't always conclusive for diagnosing problems. I've seen bad maf's that do not respond to the tap test. I always unplug it. If it runs unplugged then it's either the mass or a massive post MAF air leak.
I've had a ignition module go bad twice in the last year...The first time I had issues similiar to yours. Car dying and check engine light flickering then it would clear up briefly..If you have an extra ignition module to try or one from a buddy to borrow might be worth a shot....

I've had a ignition module go bad twice in the last year...The first time I had issues similiar to yours. Car dying and check engine light flickering then it would clear up briefly..If you have an extra ignition module to try or one from a buddy to borrow might be worth a shot....
It runs fine now under boost though. I think I'm going to buy all new parts and have them in the truck in case I break down....

Had a similar problem with my Regal. I kept getting a lot of weird numbers for BLM, and IAC didn't even show up on the ScanMaster. I replaced MAF, runs great and all numbers on the ScanMaster look good, IAC came back too.

The family went for a leisurely drive for about an hour in the GN. I parked the car and when I restarted it 15 minutes later it stalled when it went into gear. It did that twice and the 3rd time it sputtered on light gas. The check engine light flickered on then 2 seconds later it was fine. It drove fine all the way home.

There are no codes and the car runs god now. Any idea what happened? I assume some sensor is on the way out?

Thanks

Mine did that one time and it ended up the negative battery cable was not making good contact.

I was just about to post a thread about "signs of a failing maf" Ive had a slight hesitation off idle it stumbles for a second then clears up also noticed on the scanmaster code 34 but no engine light is on other than that it runs great