Spectre air filter destroyed my turbo.

m3x1c0

Bad luck Buick
well gents. It's been a wild ride with this car so far and things just got a whole lot more expensive. The k&n filter I used to have on my car fell off one day (it is relocated to behind the front bumper.) I walked to the parts store and grabbed the first suitable replacement I saw which was a Spectre 12 inch cone filter. This has been working great until tonight. I'm the center of the filter is a chrome button that is glued into the filter. This button came off under 10psi boost and completely destroyed my turbo. check out the carnage:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
So I'll be sending the turbo to bison to see what can be salvaged. As for the motor: I inclided two pics of the throttle body and inter cooler. There are some little specs there. How far do I need to dig into this motor to be sure I don't ruin the cylinder walls? Anyone know what actions I can take against Spectre? I honestly had no idea it wasn't a quality filter till tonight.

Before you start sending the turbo off, I suggest you get hold of the ap store mgmt, and see what is the procedure to file a claim.
I would also contact Spectre w/ fotos, a copy of your receipt, etc.

Chuck. I should contact the parts store? I'm almost positive this isn't going to get solved without a lawyer. I'm not positive I have a receipt for this filter.

Credit card receipt? Did you give then your phone number when your purchased it? Should be able to get a copy from them

I'll see what I can do. Any opinions on how to clean up this mess? I'll see if a local shop can clean my IC out real good. I'm planning on taking the throttle body and doghouse off and seeing if I see any larger chunks down in the intake. I'm assuming if anything got further than that its already done the damage. Plan is to vacuum out the intake, maybe pull it to get in there real good, replace the oil a couple times, do a compression test and see how she does.

Bummer, I would go back to the parts store as well. They will have a records of the transaction. Never know but I would make an attempt.

As far as finding all the pieces, you need to tear down to the block. I wouldn't let anything to chance.

Bummer, I would go back to the parts store as well. They will have a records of the transaction. Never know but I would make an attempt.

As far as finding all the pieces, you need to tear down to the block. I wouldn't let anything to chance.
:( Definitely not in the budget right now.
*edit* Actually just saw you said TO the block not tear down THE block. Yes I can probably do that. Pull heads and oil pan is about the top of what I can afford depending on I need a new turbo or not.

Last edited:
I hear you, it's been an expensive year for me too. Just don't make it anymore expensive and run the motor. Maybe you can use a scope/camera to look in the cylinders to see if there's anything in there.

You say you can see material in the upper plenum through the throttle body? If it's in there it's everywhere. Not sure how much damage the cotton fabric from the filter would cause? I'm sure someone's been down this road before. Good luck with it and hopefully you can just clean things up and fix the turbo and motor on.

Did the filter get wet? I have a Tomko CAI and my filter is up in front down low. Always wondered what could happen in a rain storm being mounted there.

I hear you, it's been an expensive year for me too. Just don't make it anymore expensive and run the motor. Maybe you can use a scope/camera to look in the cylinders to see if there's anything in there.

You say you can see material in the upper plenum through the throttle body? If it's in there it's everywhere. Not sure how much damage the cotton fabric from the filter would cause? I'm sure someone's been down this road before. Good luck with it and hopefully you can just clean things up and fix the turbo and motor on.

Did the filter get wet? I have a Tomko CAI and my filter is up in front down low. Always wondered what could happen in a rain storm being mounted there.

Check out the pics. I saw tiny flakes sitting on the tb inlet. It wasnt filter material it was a chrome button on the end of the filter that got sucked up and bounced around on the blades. Strictly turbo blade material. I'm going to talk to my engine builder SteveV and see what he thinks is the best course of action for the motor.

I can never seem to get pics to show up when they're uploaded through the website.

If it's metal then you really need to tear down. I'd still want to take a peak inside the cylinders with a camera. Just can't think of any other way to be sure. Changing oil etc won't make any difference. The material went in your intake system. It's highly unlikely you're going to spit this stuff out the tailpipe without hurting the motor.

BOY !! That would piss me off and I'd go after them (Spectre) full bore !! Hate to say it but to be safe the engine needs to come apart as it might already have damage from the pieces of metal. By apart I mean intake and heads off. Really depends on how long that shit bounced around in there.
Sorry for your delima guy & good luck.

Wonder if a BOV would have prevented that from happeing? They probably didn't design it with idea that the boost pressure would be pushed back out the filter on decel.

Wonder if a BOV would have prevented that from happeing? They probably didn't design it with idea that the boost pressure would be pushed back out the filter on decel.
The design is pretty dumb to begin with. IT should have been glued to the outside of the filter rather than inside. Then the button could have just fallen off harmlessly. This is something I would have never thought of happening until it did. This a good reminder to really think about the design of aftermarket parts we put on our cars.

Mexico I'm in Temecula if you need some help. I would absolutely tear down the motor. Your don't know what got where in the motor.

Definitely, contact Spectre. If that was one of my customers engines and they had a failure like that. We would more than likely cover the part that failed(proof of purchase) and all resultant damage.

Wow man, definitely cringed while looking at those pictures.

This is something anyone could've done on here as a temporary fix.

Hope you get it solved. I know for damn sure I would be pissed off and would be hard to find these types of repairs in my budget.

Good Luck.

well gents. It's been a wild ride with this car so far and things just got a whole lot more expensive. The k&n filter I used to have on my car fell off one day (it is relocated to behind the front bumper.) I walked to the parts store and grabbed the first suitable replacement I saw which was a Spectre 12 inch cone filter. This has been working great until tonight. I'm the center of the filter is a chrome button that is glued into the filter. This button came off under 10psi boost and completely destroyed my turbo. check out the carnage:
View attachment 256413 View attachment 256414 View attachment 256415 View attachment 256416 View attachment 256417 View attachment 256418View attachment 256419
So I'll be sending the turbo to bison to see what can be salvaged. As for the motor: I inclided two pics of the throttle body and inter cooler. There are some little specs there. How far do I need to dig into this motor to be sure I don't ruin the cylinder walls? Anyone know what actions I can take against Spectre? I honestly had no idea it wasn't a quality filter till tonight.

You cant take any action against Spectre .. that aircleaner should have never been used in your application .. period

This sounds like a defective mfg. suit; you need start at the very beginning of the chain (retail store) & work your way up.
Document everything & keep a record of all damages/ rect's
look around for an atty to handle products liability cases (most law schools have a clinic or referral service)
also check consumer affairs of local media outlets (TV/radio) & possibly State Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs (may be named differently depending on state where you live)
DO NOT JUST GET A REFUND FOR THE FILTER!!!
That pretty much settles your case against them!
HTH,
Do_O