Special on FJO Widebands

HighPSI

Staff member
Hartline Performance has just become a dealer for FJO Racing Products, including the FJO Wideband AFR Analysis System. We have been given permission to do a one-time introductory special on these awesome systems for only $326.70 each (w/Bosch Sensor, best for primarily street-driven, unleaded applications) or $383.50 each (w/NTK sensor, best for leaded fuels or racing applications.)

Most of you already know about FJO's military-grade durability and advanced features but, for those who don't, let me give you a quick lesson on why these are so great.

For many users, it is the AFR analysis software (included) that really grabs their attention. The FJO Wideband has the capability to datalog the RPM and any one (two on the dual-channel version) 0-5 volt sensors (MAP, TPS, etc) as well as AFR. The AFR analysis software will provide a beautiful plot of AFR, MAP, and TPS over RPM--essentially, everything you need to know to tune the car. For an additional price you can even log (and plot) EGT.

For those running a stock ECU, there's no need to weld in a new O2 sensor bung or run both the wideband and narrowband O2 sensor. Install the FJO Wideband O2 sensor into the stock O2 sensor location and the FJO provides a narrow-band output for your stock ECU. No drilling and welding--installation takes only minutes.

Want more details? Check out http://www.fjoracing.com/products/wbafr/wbafr.htm to learn all the details. Then call 321-722-1563 to order. I can only offer this price for a limited time.

Originally posted by HighPSI
Hartline Performance has just become a dealer for FJO Racing Products, including the FJO Wideband AFR Analysis System. We have been given permission to do a one-time introductory special on these awesome systems for only $326.70 each (w/Bosch Sensor, best for primarily street-driven, unleaded applications) or $383.50 each (w/NTK sensor, best for leaded fuels or racing applications.)

Most of you already know about FJO's military-grade durability and advanced features but, for those who don't, let me give you a quick lesson on why these are so great.

For many users, it is the AFR analysis software (included) that really grabs their attention. The FJO Wideband has the capability to datalog the RPM and any one (two on the dual-channel version) 0-5 volt sensors (MAP, TPS, etc) as well as AFR. The AFR analysis software will provide a beautiful plot of AFR, MAP, and TPS over RPM--essentially, everything you need to know to tune the car. For an additional price you can even log (and plot) EGT.

For those running a stock ECU, there's no need to weld in a new O2 sensor bung or run both the wideband and narrowband O2 sensor. Install the FJO Wideband O2 sensor into the stock O2 sensor location and the FJO provides a narrow-band output for your stock ECU. No drilling and welding--installation takes only minutes.

Want more details? Check out http://www.fjoracing.com/products/wbafr/wbafr.htm to learn all the details. Then call 321-722-1563 to order. I can only offer this price for a limited time.

FWIW,
FJO was one of the first reasonably priced WBs to come down the pike. So they've been at it for a while. They also understood the *trick* about the NGT WBs early on.

Cal - what all is included?

Unit - Display - sensor?

How long does the bosch sensor last in the stock location - the LM1 sensor really doesn't like that much heat.

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy:

The price I have posted above includes the single-channel controller, all cabling, a single sensor (either the Bosch or the NTK, as indicated) and the WBAFR analysis software. If you have a laptop or a palm device on which to display the readings, that is all you'll need. FJO sells a very nice digital gauge that is available separately for $137 retail. I'll throw in a discount on that as well if you order it during this introductory special. Similarly if anyone would prefer the FJO dual-channel version, I'll discount that as well at this time.

Regarding the question about longevity of the Bosch sensor in the stock location: Depends on what the controller does with the sensor. The controller does much more than just "read" the sensor. It has a closed-loop control relationship where the controller actually drives the sensor. A good controller has the ability to cause the sensor to last as long as possible. FJO is absolutely outstanding about that. Nothing, however, will let the Bosch sensor live through leaded fuel. Likewise, even with the FJO, the Bosch sensor is inherently sensitive to extremes in heat that are typically experienced in full-up racing situations.

This, however, brings up another benefit of the FJO system that makes it different from the other wideband AFR systems on the market. If you think you can survive with the less-expensive Bosch sensor, purchase a Bosch-only WBAFR controller, and find out you're wrong, you're completely out the money. Likewise, if you correctly determine that your current requirements will allow you to use a Bosch-only controller but later want to use a leaded fuel or start racing more aggressively, you are again out the money.

FJO is the only controller currently available on the market that supports both the Bosch and the NTK sensors (with outstanding accuracy, I might add.) If you purchase the controller with a Bosch sensor from FJO and then one of the situations above happen, you are only out the cost of the less-expensive Bosch sensor. Simply order the NTK sensor from FJO, make a configuration change in the analysis software, and you're in business again.

Let me point out that to ensure accuracy that it is important that you buy the sensor from the same place you buy the controller. A calibration needs to occur to ensure that the pair work together perfectly accurately. Another benefit of FJO is that they are able to calibrate the sensor itself. Other WBAFR manufacturers have to recalibrate the controller itself to work with the new sensor (and who wants to pull, ship, and re-install the controller when they buy a new sensor.)

Hope this helps,

Cal, not to take anything away from FJO but the Innovate LM1 WBO2 system has been about to use either the bosch or ntk sensors with just an internal jumper move, and do free air sensor calibrations, from its introduction over a year ago so I think FJO's claim of being first is a bit too much hyperbole :).

Originally posted by HighPSI
This, however, brings up another benefit of the FJO system that makes it different from the other wideband AFR systems on the market. If you think you can survive with the less-expensive Bosch sensor, purchase a Bosch-only WBAFR controller, and find out you're wrong, you're completely out the money. Likewise, if you correctly determine that your current requirements will allow you to use a Bosch-only controller but later want to use a leaded fuel or start racing more aggressively, you are again out the money.

The larger companies like Innovate, PLX Devices and Tech Edge have pretty much gotten the sensor heater down pat.

FJO is the only controller currently available on the market that supports both the Bosch and the NTK sensors (with outstanding accuracy, I might add.) If you purchase the controller with a Bosch sensor from FJO and then one of the situations above happen, you are only out the cost of the less-expensive Bosch sensor. Simply order the NTK sensor from FJO, make a configuration change in the analysis software, and you're in business again.

The Innovate LM-1 will drive both the NTK and the LSU4.2 sensor, as well as the Tech Edge. PLX Devices has 2 different boxes for the 2 different sensors.

Another benefit of FJO is that they are able to calibrate the sensor itself.

PLX Devices calibrates its sensors also. Innovate does not as you must do a "free air calibration". Doing the "free air calibration" ensures that your sensor is perfectly calibrated even as the sensor ages and gets "worn out".

Other WBAFR manufacturers have to recalibrate the controller itself to work with the new sensor (and who wants to pull, ship, and re-install the controller when they buy a new sensor.)

The PLX Devices and Innovate Motorsports units do not need to be shipped back. There is no recalibration needed for a new sensor.

Thanks for keeping me honest. I got with the FJO guys and they pointed out that I left out two important details when I said FJO was the only one to support both sensors. I should have said FJO is the first to support both the Bosch LSU and the NTK LHA sensors. That is significant because the LHA sensor, while as accurate and durable as its L1H1 brother, is far less expensive (and is, in fact, not projected to continually increase in price as time has proven the L1H1 to do.)

Further, FJO is the first single unit to support both sensors without modification of the unit itself. The Innovate documentation describes how to disassemble the unit and change the jumper setting inside the box so that the NTK L1H1 sensor can be used. It does not say how you're supposed to then connect the L1H1 sensor to the unit which presents owners with the unattractive task of trying to chop and wire the sensor into the controller. The FJO controller, on the other hand, provides two separate weatherpak connectors for both the Bosch LSU and NTK LHA sensors. It is truly as easy as unplugging one sensor and plugging in the other, then simply clicking on the "select sensor" tab in the windows software that is included.

I have to stand by what I pointed out about calibrations. A calibration does, in fact, need to be done. The question is whether you consider "free air" calibration to be accurate enough for you. I'm no scientist so I won't throw rocks here, but it makes sense that FJO's method of calibrating the individual sensors that it sells would result in a far more accurate device. FJO calibrates their sensors in a carefully controlled laboratory environment that precisely duplicates not only the operating temperature of the exhaust but also a specific air:fuel ratio that is actually realized by the car. Waving the sensor around in a room, zeroing it, and then assuming that will provide accurate AFR when actually in the exhaust seems to leave something to chance.

As far as the sale goes, I can only leave these on sale for 2 more weeks. Bowling Green will be the end of the sale. And yes, I will have several of the units and both varieties of sensors available at Bowling Green at the sale price.

I have rented a large tent that we will be parking some of the TSO cars under. Look for the Hartline Performance banner.

Is the Bosch NOT to be used with leaded gas? 99% 93 ocatane, every once in a while will see a little 110.

Limited Time

You say you can only offer this for a limited time, when does this introductary offer end?
Do Florida residents have to pay tax?

Ken TTA#1426

For the difference in the cost of the sensors, I would recommend the NTK if you are going to run even the slightest amount of leaded fuel. I've heard reports of the Bosch sensor toasting in as little as a single 1/4 mile pass under racing fuel. YMMV

It's not as big of a loss with an FJO, where you can unscrew the Bosch, screw in the NTK, reset the configuration, and go. Still, just go with the NTK in the first place if you suspect your situation might be too harsh for a Bosch.