Spare Engine

Slix

So i have a spare engine I need to use. Was supposed to be low mileage 87 gn motor. Who knows what condition its in... Definitely stock 87 GN engine.
I did a leak down test, and seems to hold 100% pressure. Moved on to the compression test, and got range of 155psi to 165psi with 160psi average.
Not sure where to go next with this.. thinking check oil pressure next...

1. have some original oil from the old filter, think i should send it out for the test? I heard blackstone is decent, any suggestions appreciated
2. replace timing chain, oil pump?
3. replace all the gaskets?
4. replace the head gaskets?

any suggestions or advice appreciated...

Any motor that’s out it’s a wise idea to go through it and replace the bearings if needed . I would never just through a motor I’ve acquired from some one in without going through it . Just my opinion it would suck to get it in and find out something is wrong .

And if your motor doesn’t leak at all you have a unicorn. They all leak even a freashly built motor will have alil leakage

Any motor that’s out it’s a wise idea to go through it and replace the bearings if needed . I would never just through a motor I’ve acquired from some one in without going through it . Just my opinion it would suck to get it in and find out something is wrong .
Yep sure would... Ok so I'll pull the pan on check the bearings on the crank and rods next, thanks

And if your motor doesn’t leak at all you have a unicorn. They all leak even a freashly built motor will have alil leakage
Nah. It was covered in oil and grease... Spent a week cleaning the crud off.

I would inspect the bearings to see what you have. Get some new valve springs and seals along with a new factory type timing chain. While the front cover is off, do the oil mods. Replace the factory oil pickup with a Melling unit and screw everything back together.

Assuning the bearings look good, DO NOT pull the heads unless you absolutely have to.

Yes. Until you spit one out the side, don't even look at it.

GM used magic pixie fairy dust as a surface treatment when those gaskets were installed from the factory. There's been many a new owner that replaced them just for the hell of it And then wished they hadn't.

....then replaced them again

....then replaced them again

...then replaced them again

...then sold the car (or put in an SBC).

Earl is there a way to tell if the head gaskets have been replaced before?

I am going to have my engine out in the next few months and want to freshen it up but if the heads have never been off (unlickely) I will leave them. Mine is a higher mileage car and just want it running well.

There is a lot of power to be made in the heads .if the motor is out I would go through the heads and put new guides in aswell as a valve job . Some basic porting and you will notice a difference in power . The stock heads are really crappie as far as flowing air . Just my opinion

Assuning the bearings look good, DO NOT pull the heads unless you absolutely have to.

x1000...
Do not pull the heads....change the springs, oil pick up..
You dont have to send out the oil, you'll know as soon as you pull the filter adapter if you had problems. If the pump is clean of debris, I wouldn't worry about the bearrings in a temp stock application.

Stock head bolts are marked "SPS" so thats a start. If you don't have those or,
If you find anything after market in the short block then you might as well take it apart.

x1000...
Do not pull the heads....change the springs, oil pick up..
You dont have to send out the oil, you'll know as soon as you pull the filter adapter if you had problems. If the pump is clean of debris, I wouldn't worry about the bearrings in a temp stock application.
Ordered a oil pressure gauge. Gonna see how much pressure I get with the oil pump primer. Then pull the pan and timng chain cover and see what's inside. Had autolite 24 plugs, got a new set. Almost looks like it was running rich I think, plugs were dark but didn't look fouled.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk