Source for the Silicon Bronze guides that will fit the GN-1 heads.

lost2a6

I have the 2nd generation Champion GN-1 heads that have the POS steel exhaust guides. Could someone point me in the right direction as to where I can purchase the proper Silicon Bronze guide. I don't have the heads apart yet so I don't know what size that I need and was hoping that the person that I get these from will know exactly what I need. Thanks!

Whatever head shop does the guide swap should have no problem getting them for you.

I haven't run Champion heads for a while now but I seemed to think we were using guides we got from CV performance. FWIW the original Champion heads came with bronze guides on the exhaust side. My recollection is that they got a bad batch that failed in service causing turbo failures as the pieces went thru the turbine wheel. Their fix for this was to go to steel guides.

Neal

Your exhaust valves look like this?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1384913675042.jpg
    1384913675042.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 161
The latest Champion GN1 heads that I have seen have cast iron exhaust guides with a thin wall bronze liner installed. Personally. I like the thin walled bronze liners. Very durable and easily replaced if worn.

I haven't run Champion heads for a while now but I seemed to think we were using guides we got from CV performance. FWIW the original Champion heads came with bronze guides on the exhaust side. My recollection is that they got a bad batch that failed in service causing turbo failures as the pieces went thru the turbine wheel. Their fix for this was to go to steel guides.

Neal
Neal, I just goggled cv performance and came up with a Harley site, would you have their number?

The guy that is going to be installing them is going to be out of town for a week and I would like to have the guides here and ready for him when he gets back.

You should contact Champion. Who would know the head or fix better than them. Think logically! I wouldn't rush this either. Why rush, is the labor free? From reading this thread, I'm already getting a bad vibe about your way of dealing with issues. Turbo Buicks and impatient, stubborn owners are grenades with pins pulled. Take that with a grain of salt, nothing personal.

It wasn't a bad batch, it is bronze guides in general. I have used bronze guides in the past with success with a safe tune up. However, after talking to Tom at Champion I won't use a bronze guides on the exhaust side in a turbo application.

It wasn't a bad batch, it is bronze guides in general. I have used bronze guides in the past with success with a safe tune up. However, after talking to Tom at Champion I won't use a bronze guides on the exhaust side in a turbo application.

DLS removed the bronze guides in my GN1 heads. It now has iron guides. The bronze guides were wore out with very low miles.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Neal, I just goggled cv performance and came up with a Harley site, would you have their number?

The guy that is going to be installing them is going to be out of town for a week and I would like to have the guides here and ready for him when he gets back.

It's CV Products not CV Performance. Sorry :( Here's their # (800) 448-1223.

Neal

Thanks Neal!
I did talk to Tom at Champion. He said that with the guides protruding so far into the exhaust port, that it gets really really hot. He stated that the steel guide will hold up to the heat better than the bronze guide so this is why they use them. He said that in another application, such as a small block chevy, the guide doesn't protrude into the exhaust port so this isn't a problem. I asked about using the bronze guide and cutting it flush with the exhaust port. He said that it wouldn't have enough guide to support the valve.