Some dumb questions...

pkschul

OK guys, way back in 2003 I tried to get my car inspected. The inspector found a bunch of stuff he didn't like under the hood. The first thing was the breathers which I already took care of by replacing the stock oil filler tube and reconnected the apparatus connecting the passenger valve cover to the turbo. The inspector also noted a bunch of blocked vacuum lines and bypasses, etc.
Please bear with me and help me understand what's going on and if possible tell me what I can do to clean up the appearance so that there are no "visible" reasons for an inspector to site a violation.
First off, what's going on here? What is this and why is it blocked off?
7736280506_c89de00784_b.jpg

shoot. I thought I had more pictures to share but I can't find them at the moment. I'll post more "issues" this evening. Thanks for the help!

Neither one of those should be capped. One has a little foam filter element on it, and the other is open to air IIRC. The two hoses on the side coming off the hard water lines should go to the barbs on the throttle body. We don't need them or like them on there because they heat up the inlet air, but smog guys don't like us messing with them. Replace them temporarily to make him happy.

Squid is correct in that both should not be blocked. That is the factory boost solenoid. One side had a foam filter , the other side is connected to a Y with a restrictor and then to the turbo port and the actuator.
I don't use that as I have an external gate so I can't post a picture for you.
Bryan

Thanks guys. Anyone have a picture of how this thing is supposed to be hooked up or should it be replaced with something else?

Well something has to be controlling your boost so you can't connect it back up the way it was. Run a hose from one side and run it somewhere the inspector can't find the other end?

Doesn't matter which ones goes to where. But not supposed to be capped. If you have a tt chip or a bailey chip it is usually deactivated and owners usually just adjust the wastegate rod for boost (manually under the hood). You can ask bailey or eric to allow that stock boost controller to be in use or not. Are you running an external wastegate or internal?

Hey thanks for that picture. I see I can get those foam filters on ebay. Now you guys are saying that it doesn't matter where the hose in that picture goes? As long as it breathes freely it's good? Can I just put 2 of those foam filters on it?

Go to gnttype.org and search for a pic of how it is supposed to be hooked up. You probably have a manual boost controller of some sort which doesn't use the solenoid. Just hook it up the factory way (you will need to get a y connector with a couple vacuum hoses) for the inspector, then put it back the way it was after the inspection. Or search for a fellow gn owner and borrow his set up :)

OK, so I followed the vacuum lines from the turbo and the wastegate actuator around the back of the intake manifold over toward the driver side and through the firewall. This is what I found mounted under the dash...
15283673145_013214268f_b.jpg

I'm learning more about this car every day. Am I correct in assuming this is a manual boost regulator?

Do I even need the stock solenoid any more then? I think I read that it might throw an error code if it's not connected?

It is a manual boost controller. Personally I'd take it out along with all the extra plumbing. Contrary to popular tuna belief, there is NO benefit to being about to adjust your max boost from the drivers seat.

Take a picture of your turbo downpipe connection. It will give us a better idea of what you have in that car.

I'll get pics of the turbo/downpipe later. For now let's move on to my next dumb question. lol.
Another blockage. See the screw in the vacuum line in the pics? Any reason to be concerned? At the very least I'd like to take that T connector out to clean up the appearance if this line isn't needed...
15097341010_383be6437f_b.jpg

15283647202_634f8e0680_b.jpg

And a pic of the other side for giggles... (close up of the downpipe will come later)
15280904751_d6b56ac678_b.jpg

Oh one more question while I'm at it. Can you tell if the injectors are stock just by looking at them installed?

I think I have the screw in the vacuum line mystery solved. The previous owner had a pillar mounted boost gauge in the car at one point but took it out. Maybe that's where this line went.

That line went to the charcoal cannister. It all needs to be replaced and give the check valve a ''blow test'' to make sure it only lets vacuum in and not boost out. Don't forget to zip tie all the new lines too. Notice how it's about to blow off the solid line?

On your injectors, just replace them with a set of 60's and a modern chip. Is it really worth potentially losing an engine over some 1/4 century old injectors?