So which cam do I want?

Crazy D

Resident Madcap
Every year I get the urge to add something to my car, in spite of the fact that I only go to the track once a year and always run like crap. I was thinking of adding a Translator+ setup, but then decided on cam/roller rockers.

The car has all the basics on it: TE-44, 009's, big neck i/c, etc.
My interest is: a bad-ass street/strip car, screw practicality and everything else.

Which cam and what kind of rr setup do I want to buy? Where do I want to buy them? I know I'll need valve cover spacers.

What kind of differences can I expect from this?
Will the car run reasonable well w/o a newly programmed chip? Because I was thinking of holding off on the chip until I decide if I want to get the T+ setup.

Is it worth it to have head work done while everything's open?

hi,
in my opinion you wont see much gain from just a cam and no head/intake port work.i dont know your full combo,but there might be some other things you might want to address other than the cam.let us know what else you have.

nick,

Dont need one yet..;) If you do some head work in the future, go with a 206-206 comp, 212-212comp , 218-218comp or 204-214speedpro.. Dont spend the $$ on a roller.. Our motor's dont turn high enough R's to really benifit from one. Use GM or seal power lifters.

matt:cool:

Tune what you have first. I took a TE-44/009/6-year old 15-row stretch intercooler/THDP/Walbro 340M combo similar to yours into the 11.40s @116+ running through the mufflers before the factory cam finally lost the #3 exhaust lobe with 135,000 miles on the odometer.

Morgan
'87 GN (11.1s @ 120; TE62, 15-row, 55#ers on the stock 154K mile motor with untouched heads)

I like the speed pro cs1112r 194-204...but your stock cam will do just fine to the 10s:D

I would do the heads 1st. Use the above cam or the 204-214 version. I can get you a special Isky grind, one Bob Armstrong likes, that is similar thats works well also. Frank

Keep the stock cam for now.Go with a 3000+ stall conv. and sticky tires.The conv change will give you a bigger gain than a cam will with ur current combo.

194/204

I love my 194/204 Speedpro cam.Great street manners and pulls
strong at top end @ 22# boost with TE61, 50# inj.

Originally posted by StagedGN
Keep the stock cam for now.Go with a 3000+ stall conv. and sticky tires.The conv change will give you a bigger gain than a cam will with ur current combo.

He already has a 3000 stall and sticky tires.....I installed them.

The big problem we are having is with launches. Can't get the damn thing to launch with more than 3 psi or so of boost. Kind of defeats the purpose of using the M/T Streets.

I installed a vacuum canister in hopes that it will help the vacuum brake booster get more power to the brakes. We haven't tested it at the track yet though.

I've held 15psi at the line on Drag Radials. That's with the stock brakes, except I moved the system over to vacuum. Something is not right with those brakes. Check the rubber lines that run to the calipers on the front brakes. If they are original they probably need replaced. They have a tendency to balloon after a while, thus not holding at the line as the pressure is being exerted through the walls of the line.

Originally posted by Bryan 94 Z28
He already has a 3000 stall and sticky tires.....I installed them.

I thought it was a 2800 stall. Pretty sad that I don't know.

So if a cam isn't the right choice right now, what is?

Ported Irons.

Or learn how to drive. :D

I'd go with the Irons. ;)

Brakes should work better too. Perhaps the russell brake line kit for $90 or so would help you out. :)

I had the same problem way back when could only hold 5 lbs boost max.The problem was that the shoes were too loose.Tighten them so you can barley still turn the drum around by hand!aftef that I could launch with 15-18 lbs no problem.

Originally posted by StagedGN
I had the same problem way back when could only hold 5 lbs boost max.The problem was that the shoes were too loose.Tighten them so you can barley still turn the drum around by hand!aftef that I could launch with 15-18 lbs no problem.

Good idea......I think I'll try that.

This won't cause problems with the shoes overheating or creating too much drag though?

I always prep the car for a day at the track and check the shoes every time because they loosen up after awhile.

Ok, I can buy a Translator+ with extender chip, an alky setup, or ported heads and cam. Which would yield the most results? I'm shying away from the alky, because the main reason I wanted one was so I could stop frying O2 sensors, but with this new leadproof one on the market....

If I had ported stock heads, with the combo I list above, and my goal is simply a fast 1/4 mile/killer acceleration, which of all these cams do I want? Is the cost of roller rockers worth it or should I just stick with what I have?

And again, would the car even run with a chip reprogram?

Well, I tried to do my own damn research then, and I still don't know which to do, but if I do heads/cam, I think I decided on a 204/214. I don't want too much cam or blow anything, but want excellent performance, is this the right choice or could I go higher? How's the sound/idle? Would I have any clearance problems? Could I reuse everything I currently have? What brand do I want? I found a very cheap one on Flatlander for $75. If I bought the lifters, they wouldn't be GM would they?

Originally posted by Crazy D
Well, I tried to do my own damn research then, and I still don't know which to do, but if I do heads/cam, I think I decided on a 204/214. I don't want too much cam or blow anything, but want excellent performance, is this the right choice or could I go higher? How's the sound/idle? Would I have any clearance problems? Could I reuse everything I currently have? What brand do I want? I found a very cheap one on Flatlander for $75. If I bought the lifters, they wouldn't be GM would they?

It all comes down to personal Preferance.. Go with the 204-214 if thats what you want.. All the cams that were listed were good, so know one can tell you the cam that will be the best for your combo.. Just give you a list of ones that you might like.. If you want some thump to your idle, get a 218-218..;) But if you want a good/fair idle stick with you first choice.. 204-214.. No Clearance problems.. WHat do you want to reuse?? Get new valve springs, lifters, Check your push rods and rockers over really good before you decide to use them over.. Push rods are $40.00 on up to $100.00.. T@D roller's will set you back $450.00 for 1.60 or1.65's. Johns performance sells a nice set that are 50% stronger than stock for around $150.00.. If your stockers are fine you can reuse them.. SPEEDPRO is the brand for the cam.. NO,,, they wouldn't be GM.. Get a set of sealpower or GM..I think Checkers parts store carries the 204-214..

(((RED))))) will know which parts store it is, if it isn't Checkers.;)

Matt:cool: