SO, what is the next big thing?

I didn't read it to deeply, just the way you wrote it.Unless you are insinuating that I will fail.

I could pick apart your spelling but will leave that to the witches where sarcasm is AN art..

I can almost always tell how young someone is by how they spell or lack thereof.

I'm old school and get frustrated by how the younger generation is either getting short changed in their education or are just to lazy to take the time to spell correctly.

Don't take this personally, it's wide spread on every board and I make mistakes also.:D

I guess i was wrong....... and nobody has insulted you yet.....you on the other hand might need to take your meds. I think the guy in your mirror is watching you. Now you have a reason to bitch.

Guys, let's get back to the original intent of the thread. It wasn't directed at you Rob, it was in general. We've got a bunch of newbys on here and reading this kind of thing will just chase them away.;)

:cool:

Wasn't trying to start anything, sorry for getting off topic.

I viewed this thread in the first place to see what if anything could help me further my endeavors with my car.

How about a self tuning EFI? Something like the EZ EFI that you just plug in and go? Maybe this already exists for the Buicks and I don't know about it?
Being a newb to this forum, and not knowing jack about the inner workings of the computer, is a self tuning EFI out of the question?

I cant tell you how many times I told a customer on the phone to not buy any more parts but to just tune what he has before buying more stuff. Most of them call the next vendor and buy the part anyway in my experience. No one wants to tune, there is lots of cars with 10 second parts that go 12's, many times the vendor gets the blame for that when a guy is not happy with the outcome even though it is his own doing. I had a customer who wanted a 9 sec car, we put together a stroker combo and the car ran 9.70 with an extender chip. Exactly what he wanted. He called me and says "so and so told me m car would be way faster with an XFI, how much?" I explained to him that since he really did not know how to tune it and had no interest in learning it would be a mistake and the car would not really go much faster plus it had already met his goal. He called the other vendor and bought the XFI from him with a program "guaranteed to run better" 1st pass car went slower, 2nd pass he burned 2 pistons and 1 head. (for the record he did not buy it from Cal) he then asks me to "please help him fix it cheap" because he spent all his money on the XFI, when I told him what would need to be done somehow I became the bad guy. I could have just took his money, charged him to tune it and all that for him to get a very small increase in performance but was trying to help him. Just one example, I have lots.

i know a guy that just did this -- he hasn't blown it up YET but pretty much what you just said

I'm not a tuner but have learned a lot just by using the Maft Pro & the Power logger. The above failures were probably from guy's who just couldn't wait to start changing things without taking the time to understand what they were changing.

I could pick apart your spelling but will leave that to the witches where sarcasm is AN art..

I can almost always tell how young someone is by how they spell or lack thereof.

Just so you know, Ronnie is NO youngster.......LOL. He is good people though !!!!!!

Bryan

Just so you know, Ronnie is NO youngster.......LOL. He is good people though !!!!!!

Bryan

I'm not perfest by any stretch, and I did say almost always.:D

The internet sucks sometimes because you can't hear the tone of the words that are typed.

I'm sure he is good people and I have no ill will towards him or anyone else on this board.

I'm sure that if we met we would get along great and talk TR smack until the cows came home.

My wife calls me MR. 36 grit because I rub people the wrong way without even trying.

Funny that the direction suggested is cams for forced induction. Apparently yall aren't the only ones thinking in that direction. I came across this article.

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/latest-trends-optimizing-camshafts-forced-induction-8706.html

When it comes to making things go, I think there are three general groups. One just wants it to work. One has money and throws parts at it, and the third tunes what is there to get max perf before moving to New stuff, either because they don't have the money or it is a challenge to do more with less.

The part throwers might not be mechanically inclined , might be lazy, or just don't have time (or dont want to spend their time) to spend on tuning. Or just flat don't know or have never been taught(or wanted to learn) how to tune. It is just easier to throw money and parts at it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

First flag was the data came from Comp Cams.... I cringed when the word 'backpressure' popped up. Turns out they use that BS term so often I couldn't even finish the article....

if the boost is greater than the backpressure at the exhaust valve, the intake charge will move in as soon as the intake opens.

or is it if manifold pressure is greater than residual cylinder pressure, the intake charge will move in as soon as the intake opens.

I couldn't even get past the 3rd paragraph before giving up. That article looks like nothing more than an ad to sell Comp products

I'm pretty sure that's what ALL magazine articles are.

So why don't we use what we know to get everyone to a reliable level (9 and 10 sec cars) and then pursue the next level. I don't know about you but 9-10 seconds is damn fast for a brick. I like the fast cam approach and I think Mike is dead on. It's going to open up a whole new level of performance. How much is a factory new 10 second car these days? The g-body with the "bump" in the hood is a vessel for class, power, and speed. IF you think about it, they're already a fairly reliable car. Look at what all of you are doing. It's quite amazing.

With advances in 3D printing techniques I don't think it will be long before someone with a million dollar printer can just 'print' replacement blocks. They'll still need some machining of course..

I also think the 'next big thing' will be concourse restorations if the value ever spikes enough..

I have asked before and I will ask again for those smarter than I.

Since every engine is an air pump, where is the most benefit? Compression ratio, RPM or boost?

A lower C/R allows for higher boost. Higher C/R makes more power. With the limitations of the 109 block and 8 bolt heads, it is hard to get high C/R, high boost and high RPM and parts to survive.

I prefer lower C/R , high RPM, high boost and high timing. Any thoughts?

that question cannot be answered without knowing the octane of the fuel as it will be different for pump gas as opposed to race gas. I will say that compression is your friend and makes everything better. The trend in race cars is now going to high compression with high boost. RPM is also your friend if you have enough cam but there is a tradeoff on the other end

Modern boosted engines benefit from high compression and high boost because of direct injection, DI makes it all happen.

I agree with the DI.

When the Ferrari California came out (first DI F car) the GM wouldn't let us park them in the shop after diagnostic drives. He was afraid the cars would ignite. Then again 2400-3000 psi of fuel would make me nervous too.