SO, what is the next big thing?

It's funny, i had made a thread about a year ago mentioning high compression and high boost using alternative fuels..

I agree with the DI.

When the Ferrari California came out (first DI F car) the GM wouldn't let us park them in the shop after diagnostic drives. He was afraid the cars would ignite. Then again 2400-3000 psi of fuel would make me nervous too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Pretty sure diesels have been well over that for fuel pressure for quite a while now...

Ohh they have. Just not exotic sports cars with a history of lighting up for no reason :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Larger/higher revving cams have been mentioned a few times in this thread and I have no doubt that they work and are the new trend. I would like to use my small cam as an example of what just seems like common sense and please correct me if I'm missing something that makes my assessment wrong. I have a 204/214 that has a 1500-5500 rpm range in a N/A application and I understand why the cam stops pulling in a N/A application. My thoughts are that the same cam in a turbo charged application should pull beyond the advertised range due to the simple fact that the incoming air is pressurized and in effect overcoming the low lift/low duration of the camshaft. Am I wrong in my thought process ?

There are plenty of car that are capable of making 9 sec power on 93 octane. Turbobitt went 9.6x @18psi. I wouldn't doubt the car is capable of running 9's with 15-16psi.

i have been a 6.77 @ 102 in the 1/8 on pump gas. with 18 psi boost

it can be done ! i'm not 9 second power but thats mid tens tho!

I applaud Mike for his concern about the future of our turbo Buick cars, and asking how and what we can do to keep them from fading into oblivion.

My life and work has revolved around T-R's for more years than I care to mention, and I will be involved with them as long as I am able. :)

From what we have done in recent years with these cars has changed dramatically from the "glory days" of Buick racing and events, and this is evident from seeing the lack of participation of track cars.

It is not the lack of HP or technology of the turbo V-6 engine, or even the cost, it is the owners lack of interest and lack of passion for the T-R's. There are a few like myself that will compete with a T-R race car, but relatively few other will devote the time and $$$ with a 50 year old Buick V-6?

We have 1500 HP turbo V-6 that are currently available, but who wants them?

I the past 6 months we have, or are building, five TA alum engines, eight 4.1L production engines and four 3.8 builds, and none of them are for a race car? All are for street/strip or just cruising applications, one may approach the 900 HP level.

So clearly, it is not the lack of affordable HP from the Buick V-6, or parts to support it, there just are not enough people interested in pushing the performance envelope, and my thinking they just want to enjoy what is easily and affordably available.

With 600 HP at the rear wheels, this car is an awesome street performer if traction is there to handle it.

As far as cams and other engine parts, we have for years used our specific grinds and other parts to obtain max HP on various class cars which have set many records, but where are the racers now doing that?

With all the active board members, how many have even taken their car to the track, much less have been in active competition? Sorry, that interest is just not there any longer.

Of the many turbo Buick owners I communicate with every day from around the country, and Canada, it is very seldom that max performance is discussed, what they want is reliability at their performance level on the street.

There are still many passionate turbo Buick owners, but their goal is not all HP, but a fun performance car that has "mystique" where ever they go, and that satisfies their ego! :)
I know this is super old but I don’t know who’s reading this, I just bought a 1984T top so it’s got it’s own issues as far as frame stiffness and all that other jazz. I want power. I’ve been in conversation with a few people on the site, it’s 2019 right now . Even though I’m new, I want to push the envelope. My budget doesn’t allow me to do everything I want to do, but I’ll try anything that’s cheap initially to see what I can do. And if anybody wants to help me out I’m always game, I’ll give the products back if people want them back. I’d like to try stuff. I guess Buick guys..we’re our own little cult.

Start here.

The most important thing to me is keeping it fueled no matter what your level of performance. More turbo, you need to put in more fuel with that air. The scanmaster, power logger and the newer stand alones make monitoring the engine pretty easy compared to when these cars were new.

I know this is super old but I don’t know who’s reading this, I just bought a 1984T top so it’s got it’s own issues as far as frame stiffness and all that other jazz. I want power. I’ve been in conversation with a few people on the site, it’s 2019 right now . Even though I’m new, I want to push the envelope. My budget doesn’t allow me to do everything I want to do, but I’ll try anything that’s cheap initially to see what I can do. And if anybody wants to help me out I’m always game, I’ll give the products back if people want them back. I’d like to try stuff. I guess Buick guys..we’re our own little cult.

So, its a hot air car?

It has had a fair bit of work done to it already but it has a long ways to go.

The hot air cars are an even smaller cult........ :) I know of only one guy out west that "works" on them and he doesn't really do the work himself anymore. I know Boost231 knows a lot about them but he converted to Intercooled, too.

The hot air cars are an even smaller cult........ :) I know of only one guy out west that "works" on them and he doesn't really do the work himself anymore. I know Boost231 knows a lot about them but he converted to Intercooled, too.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up! Converting it is a bit above my budget at the moment, so I’d like to squeeze as much juice out of her as I can in the meantime. Going slow sucks.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up! Converting it is a bit above my budget at the moment, so I’d like to squeeze as much juice out of her as I can in the meantime. Going slow sucks.
250CFC22-5A84-48AC-A517-41769FF72ABB.jpeg
70B0DF78-23F5-457C-9A39-5EFE8567212F.jpeg

Has the stock turbo housing on it, I bought the car from my Uncle after years of consistent pestering. The motor is balanced, stock heads, forged pistons, 2.5”DP, stock crank, something about 19lbs/hr injectors??, upgraded fuel pump but no idea what brand, with too big of a cam according to a guy I trust. Advertised is (if the Mechanics memory is good) 264/272? I’m not sure if his memory is correct but he told me at 202/210@.050 he said something about 112 LSA using 1.6:1 RR w/ 416/.432 lift. Stock torque converter, My uncle said he had upgraded the turbo but the mechanic doesn’t remember that. So I’m just trying to piece together what I can figure this thing out. I bought a cold case rad for it, because it was running really hot. I also went ahead and bought the flow cooler water pump for it to cover all bases. I met a great guy on here named Mikey that’s going to sell me a 86/87 ECU, and I’m going to slowly convert it over once I have all the parts together. I hope that’s enough to get me going. It does run quite well the way it is with the original, it has quite a lop to it. The exhaust system is brand new as well and it’ll take anything I can throw at it with this motor. So I’m reaching out to anybody who can help me. Specially the old-timers that know these things really well. I’ve met so many great people in here already I think I’ll be OK.