So had this motor build and had it in my garage nevr ran because .please read thanks

bpman1234

Jan 24, 2011
south florida
So got this motor built ..been in my garage for a few years never ran because. #1 - i had to bring all piston and rods back cause they didn't off set the rods on the pins these are je press fit .#2- isn't the rear cam bearing suppose to be grooved? Using webber 206/206 baby billet roller ..also that front cam bearing doesn't look like i should leave it in there..thanks in advance also what should the crank and rod bearing clearance at ..if i remember when i checked them ..ah don't remember but i think that part was ok ..thanks they did all the machine work
And gave it to me apart so i had to put it together they put the cam bearings in too i cut the rings to fit my self..

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Sep 10, 2002
Texas
ihadav8.com
If it came disassembled I'd like to dispute your claim of "got this motor built". That said I'm guessing you have skilz, tools or at least some friends with such to measure, assemble and get the engine into the vehicle?
YouTube can be your friend. SteveV has some great vids and measuring isn't hard if you have the equipment/tools. Attention to detail and cleanliness go a long way.

I guess I want to ask, what is your question? Oh, I see it burried in there. Rod and main clearances. I'd go right for a street engine but for the track only car that could be the basis for an internet fight. Get a shop manual or an interwebz search for stock clearances and make your choices.

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Sep 10, 2002
Texas
ihadav8.com
Have you assembled an engine before? Have the measuring tools to do that? Parts looks decent and not all rusty? Grooved cam bearing in the front with the feeds in the correct position. I like a pair of screw in oil gallery plugs instead of the press in deals. Just have to make sure you don't set em in too deep and restrict oil flow. Do the earlbrown mods to the front cover. Good assembly lube and break in. Should go a long time if you aren't detonating it.

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
So got this motor built ..been in my garage for a few years never ran because. #1 - i had to bring all piston and rods back cause they didn't off set the rods on the pins these are je press fit .
Rods determine the press fit, not the pistons.

#2- isn't the rear cam bearing suppose to be grooved? Using webber 206/206 baby billet roller ..
The rear should be solid. If you have a flat tappet cam, it has a groove (horrible design). Most 109 blocks have a groove in the front. If not, you need to groove the block, have a grooved back of the bearing, or a grooved bearing (horrible design). Moral of the story there has to be a groove on at least one surface to connect the PS lifter galley to the DS galley. If there's not and the engines built, a crossover tube can be built and installed on the back of the block.

also that front cam bearing doesn't look like i should leave it in there..
No idea how you can come up with a visual and determine it shouldn't be left in there.

thanks in advance also what should the crank and rod bearing clearance at ..if i remember when i checked them ..ah don't remember but i think that part was ok ..thanks they did all the machine work
And gave it to me apart so i had to put it together they put the cam bearings in too i cut the rings to fit my self..
If you don't remember what clearances you have, there's no way to say if yours are ''right'' or not.

The rule with cam bearings is put the oil hole over the oil hole in the block. If the cam bearing bore is grooved, put the oil hole at 4:30 when the block is upright.

bpman1234

Jan 24, 2011
south florida
Motor nice and clean pics

Attachments

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
I got a pretty pimp set of 6 brand new NOS mics with standards in a wooden box for sale. Excact same set as the ones I have in my shop and my living room, only these have never seen use.