So-Cal mechanic?

Apolinar Estrada

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site. Just picked up an 85 t-type. GN had been my favorite car for a long time & finally got an opportunity to get one for a decent price although it is just the t-type. Decent price came because it wasn't running well. So I'm not looking for a knowledgeable person to help me out. I'm located in Bellflower, .CA. So, On a cold start, it won't start until like the third time I turn the key. It turns on fine if it wasn't off for too long. It also doesn't pick up speed anywhere near like it should. If I try to force acceleration, it sounds like it sputters or misfires. Other people have said it could be the ignition coils or injectors. The previous owner said he had just changed the injectors but he could have not done a good job. With all that being said. Any advice or contact with a GN mechanic would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170902_141403.jpg
    20170902_141403.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 82
I tried to help you out bud but i take it you don't like the price I quoted you . You can go to acouple shops out there and see what they will charge u . Unfortuinly these cars are not as cheap as mustangs and camaros . There is lou in lake forest .

I tried to help you out bud but i take it you don't like the price I quoted you .
Thanks for the quote, but me being so far from you & me needing so much maintenance on this car, id prefer to have someone closer to me to save time and money on what I suspect will be alot of trips to a shop.

Thanks for the quote, but me being so far from you & me needing so much maintenance on this car, id prefer to have someone closer to me to save time and money on what I suspect will be alot of trips to a shop.
That's cool I actully just got back from Wilmington . Where I picked up a block then went to Long Beach to help another gn owner out . It's all good . Hopefully you will find someone that will take care of u and your issues . Good luck

Go to the wrecking yard pick up a used LS motor and put it in that hot air car that's the only cure that will take care of your problems permanently

Although Lou has a blunt way of stating the obvious it would make more sense in the long run to start with an intercooled car than a hot air car as a project. I know it's not what you want to hear but I'd sell the car ASAP and go looking for something else.

Neal

Although Lou has a blunt way of stating the obvious it would make more sense in the long run to start with an intercooled car than a hot air car as a project. I know it's not what you want to hear but I'd sell the car ASAP and go looking for something else.

Neal
Thanks Neil the other option of course is to put an inner cooler motor in it but for what reason it would be better to sell the car use the proceeds plus whatever you would spend to convert and go buy a real car. And of course not some rag either you know what appetite these Buicks have for money . It's like trying to support a high maintenance woman.

I bought my first Turbo Buick in 1990. It was a 1984 GN 1 of 2000 built. After owning it for a while I knew I made a mistake. I told myself I'd never buy another hot air car. 27 years and many many Turbo Buicks later I've never owned another. Many people convince themselves it's the same car without an intercooler but it really isn't. The 200 H.P. they had stock just doesn't cut it. If you had a drivetrain from a wrecked '86 or '87 I might consider it otherwise you have a huge money pit.

Neal

By the way I have a complete conversion if this guy wants to do that .n

Neil if you remember that TwinTurbo V8 car I had was originally an 85 i bought with a bad engine I argued with myself for months and finally gave in and put that V-8 in it it was a fun car but kind a useless .it ran best of 9.02 155 at Carlsbad it was a death trap slip and slide all the way down the track I just didn't have the guts to push it into the eights because it was so dangerous. my friend bought it back halfed it and with that production 350 Chevy it ran 8.30 @ 169.50.

Hot air cars make good race cars, donor cars and are good for intercooled drivetrain swaps. If you had one in pristine condition it would be a decent daily driver if it was left stock. You'd have to be OK with getting beaten up by soccer Moms in minivans and lowered Hondas with fart cans on them. :rolleyes:

Neal

Noel, don't mean to hijack this thread but one of best cars I have ever owned to date has been the hellcat .To me it's the modern day Grand national seems to do everything just right

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site. Just picked up an 85 t-type. GN had been my favorite car for a long time & finally got an opportunity to get one for a decent price although it is just the t-type. Decent price came because it wasn't running well. So I'm not looking for a knowledgeable person to help me out. I'm located in Bellflower, .CA. So, On a cold start, it won't start until like the third time I turn the key. It turns on fine if it wasn't off for too long. It also doesn't pick up speed anywhere near like it should. If I try to force acceleration, it sounds like it sputters or misfires. Other people have said it could be the ignition coils or injectors. The previous owner said he had just changed the injectors but he could have not done a good job. With all that being said. Any advice or contact with a GN mechanic would be appreciated.

I'm not knowledgeable on Hot Air cars, but... Go buy yourself a fuel pressure test gauge. Try to find one with about a 4' length of hose so you can tape it to your windshield for monitoring while you drive.

See if you build fuel pressure when you turn the ignition to the on position prior to starting, then report back with your findings.

Sounds like you may have an initial prime & fuel delivery problem.

Nothing wrong with a T-Type. Many prefer them over the more common GN.

Isnt this car on la craigslist right now? Did you just purchase or is it back up for sale, looks to be clean . Best of luck with it regardless!