Smoked ecm......

ok, so key on engine off, I need to look and see SES light come on then go off, correct? Then I can start it.

after the key has been off for 15 sec or longer, the ECM should do a regular boot cycle.

this makes the SES go ON, OFF, ON. This sequence shows that the ECM/processor is running, and the chip is functional. You should be getting a datastream at this point also.

Bob

ok, I'll look for on, off, on, as soon as I get home. Should I use original prim or use a different one?

start with the stock chip, and verify blink, and datastream. (don't start it)

then switch to a chip that matches your injectors, and verify it all again , then you can start it.

at that point any codes you get should be "real".

Bob

Oj, I installed the TT chip that was in old ecm along with another TT chip and neither one did the ses on-off- on. I used an old conleys chip and it did do the SES on- off-on . But since battery is dead I have to charge it before I start it.

None of the pins on the tt chips were bent any were they?

Is the conleys chip burned for what injectors you have in the engine currently?
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

no, its a street chip for 36# inj. since i dont really have to use the GN , I will send the TT chips back to Eric. but its odd that neither one of his chips would do the self check.;) Boy are the MiniMag, Caspers 8, Conleys chip out dated.:D has it really been 25yrs. None of the chips were bent.

What size injectors are in the engine?

If they are bigger than what the chip is burned for, it should be fine to start the car as you have some head room if that is the case.
If the injectors in the engine are smaller than what the chip is burned for, it might not a good idea to start it up if there's been a bit of mods, but for sure not advisable to drive it very hard as it'll be too lean and that'd be bad.
As long as the octane the chip is burned for is what's in the gas tank, shouldn't be any problems either.

There's quite a few that have builds where they upgraded in stages where they for example had started out with either stock 28 lb/hr, aftermarket 36 lb/hr , or 42 lb/hr injectors and an aftermarket chip that was burned for the injectors.
They had upgraded to for example 50 lb/hr, 60 lb/hr, or larger injectors, but didn't right away upgrade the chip to be burned for the larger injectors they had upgraded to as they still needed to upgrade other things before they went that route.
It won't hurt anything to do that, it's when you have a chip burned for larger injectors than what is in the engine that would cause harm under mid to high boost as it'd be too lean.
Also not a good idea to run a chip for alky in a car without it.

Last edited:
yes the inj are bigger than what the chip is used for. I have 50lb inj with alky and chip is a street chip for 36lb inj. I just need to center GN in the garage. There won't be any boost passes with this chip installed. Maybe around the block ride but nothing more.

If it isn't an alky chip, you need to turn off the alky system before you drive it, as the alky is setup to run on more timing than street chips use on pump gas only.

Ok, got a question, where or what number do I hook up white wire from scanmaster to blue pl inlet/outlet? I didn't take picture before I disconnected them..

ok, I got it hooked back up. But sm keeps running through numbers like if on a space shuttle count down. What would cause, this? If prom got burned when I smoked my ecm , could 2.2 chip along with PL hardware have got burned also?