Smoke on startup

TireFryer

The new kid..
I’m just guessing that our cars smoke on startup? It’s blue and oil smelling? Only on startup and when idling for a LONG time. No smoke during driving or at wot... New head gaskets and the oil doesn't have water on it and the water doesn't have oil in it.

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
Mine does the same...I was told it has a little bit to do with the E-85 also, plus I need to tune it i little more. It only lasts 2-3 minutes then she settles down.

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
Vacuum is highest at idle. Oil would get sucked down past the guides or seals at idle causing smoke. On startup the oil has slid down past the seals/guides and when you start it up it burns it off.

TireFryer

The new kid..
I would replace the seals but on the stock heads you can't replace the seals on the exhaust valves as there aren't any...

bottom end/heads have 64k miles

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Vacuum is highest at idle. Oil would get sucked down past the guides or seals at idle causing smoke. On startup the oil has slid down past the seals/guides and when you start it up it burns it off.
Agree.
It could also be the turbo smoking. There was a recent thread how to eliminate that possibility.

T-type Jones

I had a similar problem, the only difference was it also smoked after the engine got hot, replaced the Turbo...and no more smoke

TireFryer

The new kid..
i did throw on another stock turbo that i had because the one that came on the car had some play... maybe ill try swapping turbos

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
I had a similar problem, the only difference was it also smoked after the engine got hot, replaced the Turbo...and no more smoke

The oil came out the exhaust side and into the downpipe...the downpipe heated up and the oil started burning. Had the same thing on my GN when I first bought it.

TireFryer

The new kid..
Just went for an evening drive. Stopped the car and turned it off for probably 15 mins, then when i started it up it puffed some smoke for a while.. by the time i started driving it was almost gone and then by the time i got home it was gone. I do think it might be this turbo as the car didnt smoke before i tore it apart...?

Antbankstwo3

I’m battling the same things. Only does it at start-up and idle and when I come to a stop. I’ve checked it all: check down-pipe, intercooler, maf-pipe all for oil, play in turbo and they all checked out clean and ok. No oil in coolant and oil looks clean. All spark plugs look good except the #5 cylinder plug. Slightly oily. Makes me believe it’s the seals.

Compression for all cylinder were all about 150 (within 10%).So I guess next steps are a Leak Down test.

TireFryer

The new kid..
Quick update

The smoke seems to be clearing up? Not blowing so much on startup and isn't smoking at idle anymore... So I don't wonder if there was oil buildup in the downpipe or the turbo and it took lots of driving to clear it up? Anyhow the car runs great not aside from some converter or flexplate ticking...

RichieRocket

I would replace the seals but on the stock heads you can't replace the seals on the exhaust valves as there aren't any...

bottom end/heads have 64k miles
You actually have to mill the exhaust valve guides down a few thousands and then you can put seals on them I used Vitons on mine. Worth it? Maybe … Depending on the owner, only takes about 2 minutes per guide..

TireFryer

The new kid..
You actually have to mill the exhaust valve guides down a few thousands and then you can put seals on them I used Vitons on mine. Worth it? Maybe … Depending on the owner, only takes about 2 minutes per guide..
Maybe if I take the heads Off again I’ll do that. For the past 2 years Ive ran with it lol. Just add 1/8 quart every 1200 miles. Just riding it out as I have new champion heads with all the seals already milled and all:)

Buick Mark

The step in the exhaust valve stem will pop the seal off the guide.