Smoke from breather

mattcsn

So I just started noticing smoke from the breather and dip stick. First thought is head gasket "again" or a leaking ring? Figure I need to do a leakdown test but wanted to see what you all thought?

Car drives just fine, no issues, loss of power or smoke from the tailpipe. PVC was checked as well and functional.

Head gasket was changed less then a year ago too :(.

Video below.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So I just started noticing smoke from the breather and dip stick. First thought is head gasket "again" or a leaking ring? Figure I need to do a leakdown test but wanted to see what you all thought?

Car drives just fine, no issues, loss of power or smoke from the tailpipe. PVC was checked as well and functional.

Head gasket was changed less then a year ago too :(.

Video below.

With an open breather, your PCV is NOT functional. At least not as it's supposed to be.

That out of the way, it's either ring blowby or a failed gasket. The regular puffing tells me the leak is pressurized, so you most likely breached the head gasket at the top of either the #3 or #4 cylinders. Do a compression/leakdown and I think you'll see the issue.

Try changing the oil. Tired oil mixed with fuel will allow a bunch more vapor to escape like that. It seems to me like the pcv is not working although you said it was checked. At idle it should be pulling air into the breather down into the crankcase and up to the pcv valve.

Try changing the oil. Tired oil mixed with fuel will allow a bunch more vapor to escape like that. It seems to me like the pcv is not working although you said it was checked. At idle it should be pulling air into the breather down into the crankcase and up to the pcv valve.
I'll try that because I do smell gas. It's doesn't smell like standard burning oil.

Blown head gasket into the valley or cracked piston ring. Being that it’s running okay, my money is on cracked ring.

And the PCV will function just fine with open breathers.

Blown head gasket into the valley or cracked piston ring. Being that it’s running okay, my money is on cracked ring.

And the PCV will function just fine with open breathers.
How miserable of a fix is that? I'll be tackling it myself.

How miserable of a fix is that? I'll be tackling it myself.

Depends. If it's a head gasket, just replace the gasket and don't detonate it again.

If it's a cracked ring land, you can do it cheap. Drop the pan and and undo the rod, pull the head, pull out the damaged piston from the top, buy a new one, run a ball hone down the cylinder, clean as well as you can, and slide the new piston back in with a new set of rings.

And maybe it'll last. Maybe it won't. And that's assuming the damaged piston hasn't scored the cylinder wall.

Or you pull the motor and do a proper rebuild.

We're just speculating here. You need to compression check it and figure out which cylinder it is, then start pulling it apart until you find the problem.

A leak down test will be more accurate than random guesses.