Smog Check time - Test Only

PsYcHo GN

Member Extraordinaire
I haven't posted on this board for a long, long time (just been lurking when I have time). Been really busy with work and my daughter.

Anyway, it's been two years since I purchased my GN. It's smog check time.

With the modifications these cars have, will they pass a smog exam? The car has catalytic converters, but under the engine compartment, I don't think it will pass visually.

Any help or advice on what I need to do is greatly appreciated!

id love to help you but word is that theirs a few smog reffs lurking this board so we have to stay hush hush.....hope you get this problem resolved

Hello,

I have an 87 that I have kept stock looking TA49 Kenne Bell ram air setup removed the left side K&N replace with the stock oil fill. Passed Just fine in the test only.
I would suggest that you install stock air cleaner and hope that the person does not know what they are supposed to look like. The technician that did mine had never seen A turbo car before.
Check all of your Vacuum Lines as they are doing the pressure test on the gas tank. They clamp the 3/8 line @ the Charcoal cannister and pressure test the tank, it needs to hold for the test so any bad lines above the tank will give you a fail.
I would install a fresh 02 senser and with a fresh Cat you should be fine. Again make it look as stock as possible. Hope you saved some of the stock stuff.

Tom

I don't have any of the stock stuff. The car has a TT alcohol chip in it (see sig.), will that have an affect? I have the stock chip, but the car has mototron injectors, not sure if that matters.

Do I have to remove the adjustable FPR?

I had Eric burn me an emissions chip for the mototron 60's for when I had to go through emissions testing, my car passed easy. I also cut the fuel pressure down from 43 lbs. to 38 lbs. with the emissions chip, not sure if that mattered any but the chip directions I believe state to do that. I also had a new catalytic converter on it for testing.

Did you have to re-tune your car with an emissions chip?

What do I need to put back on the vehicle for it to pass visually?

You just pop the chip in the ECM, first I disconnected the orange wire by the battery to clear the ecm, then put in the chip and take the car for a ride for about 15-20 minutes to let the car re-learn the chip. Not to sure about your state with the visual thing, but they really didn't look under my hood to much here in Jersey.Oh yeah, take the emissions chip out of the car as soon as your done with the testing, it's meant for emissions testing only.

not sure if arizona laws are different but my car passed easy. i run a rebuilt 109, ta-49, thdp, 009's, poston headers, kenne bell ram air, acufab adj-fpr, 3 inch single shot exhaust with a 3 inch cat.

im running a tt alky chip (havent hooked up the alky kit yet).

the only "problem" i had was when the pulled out the mirror to stick under the car and look from the cat on the drivers side and couldnt find it. i politely told the guy that it was on the other side. :D

with these mods the car passed damn neat perfect! i was allowed like 250 hydrocarbons and i had 19!!!!:eek:

also i forget what the % of something else i was allowed 2.00 and i had .12!!!!:eek:

just my encounter

buickbert

Technically anything under the hood belongs to the government & anything past the cat is all yours. but when you make it so obvious as not to stand a chance of passing that anymore makes no sense.Downpipes with external waste gates, blow off valves, headers, large turbos,open breathers, too cold of a thermostat,etc all are a guaranteed failure. On my street cars I keep the engines looking stock as possible, A TA 60 turbo you cant tell from an original, A TH down pipe with a high flow cat,ported heads actually reduce NOX & H.C. by eliminating sharp edges in the combustion chambers, larger injectors & chip aren't obvious. A cold air kit takes 15 min to convert back to factory air cleaner, Provided you didn't throw it away. Just use your head & minimize problems.Plus nothing confounds people more when you beat them, lift the hood & say see it's stock.This a recipe for a smog legal 11 second ride anything faster belongs on a race track.

This is a 10.12 @ 134 combo from Lou. :biggrin:

e330856f.jpg

LOL! Since when? You with the TT SBC among other things!

"Lou's Prius Service"

:D :D :D

Hugs and kisses, you big funny fella'.
I said street car, TT SBC is not, It's now a race car, You foul smelling S.D.rabble !

mine was failed for the valve cover oil fill breather , needed the stock cap passed the sniffer no problem with 009 and an old lubrant emissions chip