SMC Alky Kit and Pump Has Quit - Advice

MCF87GN

I have an SMC kit on my 87 GN and the pump has quit. Is there any solution other than purchase an entire new kit? The kit was already on the car and I am wondering if I need a new kit, if any of the wiring can be re-used or if I have to rip everything out and start over. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Darren

I have an SMC kit on my 87 GN and the pump has quit. Is there any solution other than purchase an entire new kit? The kit was already on the car and I am wondering if I need a new kit, if any of the wiring can be re-used or if I have to rip everything out and start over. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Darren
Ok,you have alot of time on the smc kit,its time for alkycontrol you wont regret it

Make sure your kit is progressive meaning increased spray proportional to boost. If not really need to upgrade to progressive kit.

Start with a whole new kit from Alky Control. It fits great and has been updated several times since that SMC kit was made. Tried and proven. Get the tester while your at it. You depend on the pump and lines every time you go to boost. It's the best way to check them.

Start with a whole new kit from Alky Control. It fits great and has been updated several times since that SMC kit was made. Tried and proven. Get the tester while your at it. You depend on the pump and lines every time you go to boost. It's the best way to check them.
totally agree, not a place to cut corners and ALKYCONTROL is the best of the best kit, vendor, cat.

I actually liked the smc kit myself. It never leaked but the alkycontrol kit I see everyone I know theirs is leaking.

If you have any skillz at all replace the pump, it will last another 10-15 years if you use denatured alky. and a capful of lube every tank fill-up.

There should be a thread available with the replacement part number Chrysler pump.

I know many of you use the test kit. I have had Julio's kit for years now. And I do the standard pump replacements as needed. And I have read the advantages to using the test kit in many posts but have forgotten the specifics.

But I test my kit with regulated compressed air to the map sensor. Key-on, XFI connected, reading the alky PSI on the screen, watching for leaks and sometimes using a couple of bottles to catch the spray volume from the nozzles. Just did this a week or so ago. What are the advantages to using the test kit instead of doing it this way?

You can do the same with the kit. You just unplug the MAP sensor and plug it into the one in the kit. You can do the log and turn the knob on the kit MAP to simulate pressure. I'm not sure how to extrapolate the air pressure from the data but the alky pressure can be logged.

You can do the same with the kit. You just unplug the MAP sensor and plug it into the one in the kit. You can do the log and turn the knob on the kit MAP to simulate pressure. I'm not sure how to extrapolate the air pressure from the data but the alky pressure can be logged.
Ok. Thanks.

When I do it the way I do it, Along with alky pressure, I have also been simultaneously testing the map sensor reading on the XFI against the air pressure reading from my boost gauge and regulator pressure gauge. Also I get an opportunity to see if the plastic housing of the map sensor is split and leaking boost as well. Using the old soap and water spray trick.

I do understand the convenience others may appreciate using Julio's kit though.

Yes, your method does give you the opportunity to check the MAP and air pressure readings accuracy.

I actually liked the smc kit myself. It never leaked but the alkycontrol kit I see everyone I know theirs is leaking.
Well lots of guys use m1 methanol much harsher than denatured and run much higher pressures.thats small price for not needing race fuel.

Lean on the kit a little see how much you like it,there was never any real pressure from the older alky kits and they didnt have the hardware for it.

pressure is king,when you loose pressure at a certain point things get hurt.the alkycontrol kit produces much higher pressures.