SMC alcohol injection problem (I think)

jghall6

The SMC system I have has the external pump that pulls alcohol from the modified coolant overflow tank. I've had the system for ~1 year with no issues until this week when I started seeing knock retard numbers on my scanmaster from 7-10 at full throttle. Knock retard has been 0 at 21 psi turbo boost. Now when I go full throttle the knock number will increase as the boost hits 21 then it will slowly go down to 0. When I test the alcohol system by pushing the red button on the controller the pump seems louder then before. I also noticed when the test button is pushed the pump gauge will initially go to ~35 psi and then slowly climb to 55-60 psi over a 5 second period. Is that what is causing the initial knock retard numbers and then as the pump pressure increases the knock retard numbers go down? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Call steve chlupsa (270-522-9376) He has rebuild kits for the pumps. U should be at 90 to 120 psi when you hit the test button. No WOT until it's fix or U will be replacing head gaskets!

I emailed Steve Chlupsa and he told me that I would need to replace the pump with the small one from Snow Performance or another alky vendor. Please see pic of my SMC system pump and let me know if there is a direct replacement and what modifications I would need to make. Or can I send the pump to "Alky Control" for a rebuild. Thanks for the help.

P1010006.jpg

I call Steve This summer and he sent me two sets of diaghrams (spelling) made of the right material to last with 100% meth and a detailed instrutions on rebuilding the head of the pump. I also bought a new pump thur flow jet the people that manufacture that style of pump. There is a part # on the original (lf1 22202). When I compared the two the original (smc) has thru nuts and bolts holding the diagham covers on ,and the one I order from flow jet had screws into the plastic housing. I put the dighrams from steve in both pumps and tried each one. The original from steve work the best 120 psi on the test button compared with about 85psi. they both work !I went with the higher psi. Hope this helps

I dont rebuild this style of pump. I use them on my smaller kits for like Jey Ski's or snow mobiles. If the pressure is down it should be leaking, if its not leaking.. it is possible motor may have damage.

I sell them for 80.00, but they dont come with any warranty. The screws drilled through the case Steve did it to help the little pump out with its clamping.

The larger Shurflo or Aquatec wont fit where this pump is. And the larger pumps draw more current which the controller may not be able to handle. Example the Flojet is 3 amps, the Shurflo can draw 15 amps.

If I buy the replacement pump (Flo-Jet FP 122-202) will it require special diaphragms? I use 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and distilled water.

Are the SMC kits still being produced? Still being supported?

I've got one. The "turn on point" dial never worked. It comes on at 10psi and I cannot change it.

Well, I should say "it came on." Now, when it activates, it only comes on for an instant and goes off again. I have to push the button to squirt alcohol into my intake.

Are the SMC kits still being produced? Still being supported?

I've got one. The "turn on point" dial never worked. It comes on at 10psi and I cannot change it.

Well, I should say "it came on." Now, when it activates, it only comes on for an instant and goes off again. I have to push the button to squirt alcohol into my intake.

SMC is no longer in business.

Not what you wanted to hear.. but it is what it is.

And magically this weekend it worked. That was a fun turn of events;)
There is no majic. Just a warning. To which its telling you somethings not right...

You've been living good that you've recieved a warning. Now to act on it or not... thats on you.

Wish you well with your decisions.. things "dont fix" themselves. When your lucky.. you get warnings. When your not.. stuffff happens and your wrenching on it and fixing what gave you the warning. All in life is this way. The older you get, the more you heed the warnings. o_O

There is no majic. Just a warning. To which its telling you somethings not right...

You've been living good that you've recieved a warning. Now to act on it or not... thats on you.

Wish you well with your decisions.. things "dont fix" themselves. When your lucky.. you get warnings. When your not.. stuffff happens and your wrenching on it and fixing what gave you the warning. All in life is this way. The older you get, the more you heed the warnings. o_O

Great advice. I do need to dig around in it. That was the first time the car's been started in about 4 months.