Slick vs Drag Radial vs MT Pro Bracket Radial

Justa6MB

Haven't been to the track much over the last few years but have been running MT ET Street radials. So they're likely 5-7 years old?? They've always been inside and look good but wondered if they're drying out? Have started doing some more racing this year on a new track nearby and having trouble hooking up. Have been playing with suspension and I've got some gains to be had but have a video my son took and you could hear the tires start to spin at the top of 1st and into 2nd. Running 18 psi in the tires, and 22 lbs of boost. Have to launch soft - 3000 rpm @ about 9 psi boost to keep them from breaking loose. 60' times in the 1.7's. The track is likely not the greatest yet. So I was working on shocks and did put in a HR rear bar - and planning on doing the Baseline upper relocate next...till I realized I was also spinning down the track. So I got thinking maybe tires are dried out and they should come first. Was thinking about just going to slicks, then I saw the MT Pro Bracket Radial? Would like some opinions.

Haven't been to the track much over the last few years but have been running MT ET Street radials. So they're likely 5-7 years old?? They've always been inside and look good but wondered if they're drying out? Have started doing some more racing this year on a new track nearby and having trouble hooking up. Have been playing with suspension and I've got some gains to be had but have a video my son took and you could hear the tires start to spin at the top of 1st and into 2nd. Running 18 psi in the tires, and 22 lbs of boost. Have to launch soft - 3000 rpm @ about 9 psi boost to keep them from breaking loose. 60' times in the 1.7's. The track is likely not the greatest yet. So I was working on shocks and did put in a HR rear bar - and planning on doing the Baseline upper relocate next...till I realized I was also spinning down the track. So I got thinking maybe tires are dried out and they should come first. Was thinking about just going to slicks, then I saw the MT Pro Bracket Radial? Would like some opinions.

How often are you going to go to the strip? Are you doing a decent burnout? How much power do you make? How are you launching? 2step, trans brake, just foot brake? Are you running in competition Or for fun? I run 2 times a week 275/60-15 MT street pro radial. They hook great with very little burnout. I do like the street SS better though. I'll be going back to those soon because they last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The street SS replaced the et street radial. The Pro is a killer tire, but will wear out faster. I put a few hundred miles on my car a year, and i have yet to wear out a set of tires. I get a new set every 2 years. The pro braket radials are slightly slower than the 275 pro, but work good on poor tracks. The radials will be faster than a slick.

I think they are going away....I had a set of 275 pro's that started doing the same thing, still had meat on them but they weren't launching as well. New set on and was back to where I was 60' wise. One thing that did help was a longer burnout on the older tires, too long though and they would get greasy, but it JUST helped, still not as good as the new tires were.

Car made 518 at rear wheels at 25-26 psi. But have been running 22-23 psi. Leaving on a trans brake with an AMS500. 3000 rpm at 9 psi, I think the ramp is at 7 psi/second. Race likely 6-8 days a year and it's bracket. Thought I'm doing a decent burnout, definitely smoking but I don't think it's excessive. Maybe keep it going at the top of 2nd for a couple seconds after I see smoke in the side mirror then roll out. Would like to be able to launch at 13 lbs so I can use the AMS500 to control boost at the line instead of relying on the 2 step. So is it possible to do that on a dot tire?

Car made 518 at rear wheels at 25-26 psi. But have been running 22-23 psi. Leaving on a trans brake with an AMS500. 3000 rpm at 9 psi, I think the ramp is at 7 psi/second. Race likely 6-8 days a year and it's bracket. Thought I'm doing a decent burnout, definitely smoking but I don't think it's excessive. Maybe keep it going at the top of 2nd for a couple seconds after I see smoke in the side mirror then roll out. Would like to be able to launch at 13 lbs so I can use the AMS500 to control boost at the line instead of relying on the 2 step. So is it possible to do that on a dot tire?

Yes

Ok, thanks for the good info. I would like to stick with a DOT tire if possible. I like the look of the SS but don't want to buy 2 sets if they don't hook... So the MT ET Street R (race) radial would likely be the best DOT tire of the bunch at the track?

I like the pro Bracket Radial better than the 275 pro .in my limited comparison .Im running 28x9s they worked well .My car always 60 fts better with slicks but for radial tires the Pro Bracket is the best tire i have run on my car

I still think you might need more of a burnout, I've always tried to be very consistent with mine.

Start in manual 1st, get the wheels spinning, click into second, click into third and hold it till I count to three then I let off the brake and slowly release the throttle until the tire bites. This is all around half throttle, maybe around 3500-4000rpm.

I've always tried to get the trans into 3rd as quick as possible. From what I've been told, it's better for it.

I still think you might need more of a burnout, I've always tried to be very consistent with mine.

Start in manual 1st, get the wheels spinning, click into second, click into third and hold it till I count to three then I let off the brake and slowly release the throttle until the tire bites. This is all around half throttle, maybe around 3500-4000rpm.

I've always tried to get the trans into 3rd as quick as possible. From what I've been told, it's better for it.
For a 200 4r, you want to put the shifter in 2 for the burnout. Shifter in 1st and 2nd increases line pressure. 3rd is lower at part throttle. Stage in 2 as well. Once you go WOT, you can click it up into 3rd. Shift points will not change. A TH400 you want to start in 2nd, and get into 3rd.

Ok, thanks for the good info. I would like to stick with a DOT tire if possible. I like the look of the SS but don't want to buy 2 sets if they don't hook... So the MT ET Street R (race) radial would likely be the best DOT tire of the bunch at the track?
Et street pro will be better at the track then the et street r.the ss isn't even close

For a 200 4r, you want to put the shifter in 2 for the burnout. Shifter in 1st and 2nd increases line pressure. 3rd is lower at part throttle. Stage in 2 as well. Once you go WOT, you can click it up into 3rd. Shift points will not change. A TH400 you want to start in 2nd, and get into 3rd.

I knew it applied to the 400, but thanks for clarifying that it doesn't pertain to the 200.

Interesting. Why do you stage in 2nd? I get what you're saying but if I do that in my car it shifts as soon as I move the shifter. So I would have to hold and shift at my desired rpm. I normally just leave it in D

It wont shift sooner than it is calibrated for. Shifter in 2 for line pressure. It will still start in 1st and the shoft points will be the same as leaving it in D.

I like to stage in 2nd due to the 1-2 shift being so quick and my 2-3 shift happens quicker than I'd like in D. So basically, I let the trans do the 1-2 and I shift the 2-3. I also stage in 2 because of the higher line pressures.

It wont shift sooner than it is calibrated for. Shifter in 2 for line pressure. It will still start in 1st and the shoft points will be the same as leaving it in D.

Cool. I'll try it. Maybe it will improve my 60's