Slic

1986buickgx1, that was the posting I was Looking for. I remember seeing that years past. Not sure it gives me the info I was hoping for like efficiency and does not include the Precision one I've heard about? Thanks for the info sir.

Brandnu6: we use the parts wanted forum for what your doing. But thanks for keeping this info post alive!

Last edited:
1986buickgx1, that was the posting I was Looking for. I remember seeing that years past. Not sure it gives me the info I was hoping for like efficiency and does not include the Precision one I've heard about? Thanks for the info sir.

Brandnu6: we use the parts wanted forum for what your doing. But thanks for keeping this info post alive!
How's it going Blacky. That doesn't work. I think people set their alarm clocks to go off on the hour and have a laptop next to their bed! I've never been able to make a purchase under "parts wanted," or "parts for sale." Can't fault a guy who's trying to be a little resourceful. Hell, you can't even buy from the vendors. All I hear is: " It's on backorder." Or "I'll put you on a list." "Supply chain issues!" Speaking of resourceful. Did you see that V4 on TurboWh1's post? That's what I'm talking about. Hey TurboWh1, if you can hear me? I'd be really interested in buying that V4. Send me a PM. Talk to you later, I hope ;)

Heres a size comparison when i had them off the cars years ago
from left to right ....Mark Jackson 20+row, Pte in the middle, stock on the right
If you count the rows on the MJ it looks like 22 or 23 .. ive seen them smaller so it wasnt a set size on some of these coolers
20170509_141726.jpg

Good thread. I was tempted to switch to a FMIC just so that I had more room to work on stuff, but it sounds like a SLIC is better for street driving.

I actually sold my Precision SLIC a couple years ago. It was beat up after whacking a racoon, but still held pressure. The stock intercooler is way easier to remove and install though, so I don't miss my PTE intercooler. I'm sure it's great for people pushing their cars a lot harder, but mine is too stock to notice much of a difference.

Is there any good data on the GN1 piece? I like the looks and construction of the bracket and shroud on that one. Maybe it's a little easier to pull out?

Jon
We had a stock intercooler on are 86 with ported heads and 206 206 roller cam and it ran 11.00 on 93 octane. Had turbo tweak maf/ chip combo. Not sure when a bigger intercooler is needed (10's?). Also, my 86 came with a FMIC and the car was way slow. 1st thing I sold. The right combo is the key to a good turbo Buick, plus I'm into stock appearing and fast.

Last edited:
Jon
We had a stock intercooler on are 86 with ported heads and 206 206 roller cam and it ran 11.00 on 93 octane. Had turbo tweak maf/ chip combo. Not sure when a bigger intercooler is needed (10's?). Also, my 86 came with a FMIC and the car was way slow. 1st thing I sold. The right combo is the key to a good turbo Buick, plus I'm into stock appearing and fast.
I love the stock appearing class. You all remind us that certain flow mods are not entirely necessary! I still have a stock 109 and stock cam, TA49, built trans with a 2200 stall converter, and I only really care to make about 400whp on E85. I only race on rare occasions that friends want to go to a test and tune. Maybe an intercooler upgrade won't be so necessary?

Good thread. I was tempted to switch to a FMIC just so that I had more room to work on stuff, but it sounds like a SLIC is better for street driving.

I actually sold my Precision SLIC a couple years ago. It was beat up after whacking a racoon, but still held pressure. The stock intercooler is way easier to remove and install though, so I don't miss my PTE intercooler. I'm sure it's great for people pushing their cars a lot harder, but mine is too stock to notice much of a difference.

Is there any good data on the GN1 piece? I like the looks and construction of the bracket and shroud on that one. Maybe it's a little easier to pull out?
The gn1 isnt bad but i think you can go just as far on the stock unit, the stock tube/fin core is great and better then the chinese bar/plate core of the gn1, its the stockers mini 2" inlet neck that's the restriction ,
it almost comes to a sharp point with an abrupt turn and needs to be addressed .

I still have a stock 109 and stock cam, TA49, built trans with a 2200 stall converter,
I ve been 10.6 with this and a ported stock head(nothing like a champion)100lb valve springs and some know how😉 but with a 3200 stall and a front mount.
Low 1.4s on the 60ft.
My friend car with a 44 ran equal with mine he was on a bgc intercooler slic.
So the intercooler had nothing to do with it.
But you need more stall.

Jon
Nicely done

The gn1 isnt bad but i think you can go just as far on the stock unit, the stock tube/fin core is great and better then the chinese bar/plate core of the gn1, its the stockers mini 2" inlet neck that's the restriction ,
it almost comes to a sharp point with an abrupt turn and needs to be addressed .
I saw no gain on the front mount vs a stock intercooler and a dutt neck on a mid 10 sec car.
As long as the air was good.

I will also note that the Pte out weighed everything by a landslide, needed a floor jack to put it in place lol

I will also note that the Pte out weighed everything by a landslide, needed a floor jack to put it in place lol
YES! It was not fun holding it up with one hand and trying to start the first bolt with the other. Those end tanks were very beefy.

Jon needs more stall is correct. Boy will he have a smile on his face then:eek: