Slic

Blacky

Drive it like you stole it
Hello, I've been reading all the reviews dock location stretched intercoolers and I'm wondering if my Mark Jackson intercooler can be upgraded with a newer improved intercooler. My car is a stroker and it can run low tens. I want the best bang for the buck but I do not want a front mount as I don't like the look. Any knowledge is appreciated. All the reviews. I've been able to pick up our older one and in 2022 I think we have more knowledge by
Thanks Steve c

I've always heard good things about the Precision SLIC, but I don't know how it compares to the Mark Jackson. Someone with more knowledge will be able to answer that. If memory serves, Grumpy used a Precision SLIC. I went to a front mount but the ONLY reason was to keep the car on it's ET for each round. The SLIC I had would heat soak and I'd be guessing what the car would ET for the next round.

I've always heard good things about the Precision SLIC, but I don't know how it compares to the Mark Jackson. Someone with more knowledge will be able to answer that. If memory serves, Grumpy used a Precision SLIC. I went to a front mount but the ONLY reason was to keep the car on it's ET for each round. The SLIC I had would heat soak and I'd be guessing what the car would ET for the next round.
Hello there. I was just reading your reply to Blacky's question regarding S.L.I.C. You said you went to a "front mount." I do not race my car. Heat soak would not be a concern for me. I would be interested in slic. Do you have a "Precision slic? Let me know, Thanks...

The research I’ve found on here is the MJ (and other) 15 row stretched stock I/C’s would run 10.30’s- 10.50’s and the 17 row units would run in the low 10’s.
There was no mention if the 2 1/2” inlet/ outlet was holding them back.

Bell sells new cores I believe would work.
You can size them here.

Any Slic is always some kind of restriction when you get into the bottom 10s and faster, most cars that run low 10s with a slic it isnt because of the slic,its because they are much faster then that anyway, i always said Fm's are a waste on any car thats 11s and slower

In your case i think it would be a waste of money to re-core a MJ it could turn into a $2k ordeal , a garrett tub/fin core MJ 17 row or double stocker 19 row with 2.5" necks really cant be improved on too much as far as slic's go, besides some exceptions like the (pte)

The 19 row Mark jackson, 21 row cas v4, Mease 19 row, and the 2nd gen PTE have all been in the 9s

The pte stock location intercooler is an 8 sec peice on the right car.
Its 3 inch piping as well.
The bell core with 2.5 inch piping is also an 8 sec peice on the right car.
The intercoolers listed above can also run 9s on the right car.
I dont believe most test the intercoolers to actually see if they are out of intercooler.
Front mounts that are horizontal dont heat soak as fast.
Vertical has lower pressure drop typically.
Slic usually heat soak sooner.
We run alky through them to keep the temps in check for repeated performances.
Works great.
If your not running alky and need temp control typically the front mount horizontal will do better in hot conditions.

I went back and forth between a V4 and an old school Eastern Performance front mount. I preferred the V4 as the car seemed to run cooler over all. Typically faster spool up and ETs. The front mount intercooler blocks a lot of air for the radiator, and then it really looks like a race car:)

Any Slic is always some kind of restriction when you get into the bottom 10s and faster, most cars that run low 10s with a slic it isnt because of the slic,its because they are much faster then that anyway
From what I have seen the slic can go faster than a front mount in certain applications.
They are closer to the intake from the turbo with less piping distance and that has helped cars well into the 8sec range.

From what I have seen the slic can go faster than a front mount in certain applications.
They are closer to the intake from the turbo with less piping distance and that has helped cars well into the 8sec range.
I removed the front mounts from my turbo buicks and replaced them with slic years ago because i do more street brawling then track time nowadays..
The first track run should be pretty even between the two the fm would start to shine when you hot lap on a typical low 10s car because of direct hitting air flow across the entire core.
i like the quicker throttle responce with the slic and with alky and or e85 its a big cooling crutch for any heat soak problems.
Besides i really didnt feel the couple tenths loss that would occur from a fm to a slic when your on the street .

Thanks guys. From what I'm reading for my 10.4 car I'm best off just keeping the Mark Jackson. No Plans on getting into the nines as that's just too fast for a street car that I like to race at the track. I'm sure I can find better off ways of spending some extra money:unsure:

Thanks guys. From what I'm reading for my 10.4 car I'm best off just keeping the Mark Jackson. No Plans on getting into the nines as that's just too fast for a street car that I like to race at the track. I'm sure I can find better off ways of spending some extra money:unsure:

Just curious, is your MJ I/C the 15 row or 17 row?

I always thought they were 20 row but somebody chimed in and said they are 19

I always thought they were 20 row but somebody chimed in and said they are 19
Ive known them to be 17 and 20, they were custom made from stock garrett cores, the 20s were 2 welded stock cores together but could have been 19 rows for the Gn ,the TTA one i had was 20+ rows, and could have been a few more rows remember these were all custom made units not in mass production so there was no master mold

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure but it's been a long time when Mark Jackson was doing these. He told me they were 20 row

I saved this from www.gnttype.org years ago. I believe it’s still there.
I was thinking the MJ was the same as Cotton’s, thunderfab, Mease and the like, all the 15 row were 1 1/2 stock cores. Then the 17 row was added later, then hearing of a few 20 row double cores.

By the chart, some were built with new cores so that theory is blown out of the water.

V6sleeper is right, no rhyme or reason just build it.

ADE9ECF6-747B-4DC3-B88A-91961BBF0A31.jpeg

Hello there. I was just reading your reply to Blacky's question regarding S.L.I.C. You said you went to a "front mount." I do not race my car. Heat soak would not be a concern for me. I would be interested in slic. Do you have a "Precision slic? Let me know, Thanks...
Scooby Doo. Where are you? I sent a couple of messages, you have not replied. Do you or don't you have a "Stretch I.C. you want to sell? let me know. Thanks again. I'll be waiting for your reply. Take care...

Here is a V4.... Bought it new off this forum in the early 2000s. She needed a fresh coat of paint couple years back. This intercooler just went 10.44 on my car a few weeks ago. Fastest pass was last one of the night. Think I ran it 5 times that night. It definitely has more in it. I honestly wondered how far I could go with the V4. No issues yet.

What you have seems to be working great as well:) Happy Spooling my friend!

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_095821169_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20200811_095821169_HDR~2.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 80
Scooby Doo. Where are you? I sent a couple of messages, you have not replied. Do you or don't you have a "Stretch I.C. you want to sell? let me know. Thanks again. I'll be waiting for your reply. Take care...
Couldn't reply for whatever reason. Car was sold 3 years ago.