Similar or better replacement for a TE45A?

Just for comparison I dynoed my car at RC's shop last year & this year during the TB.com nats . The only change was the turbo .
Last year , 706 hp / 684 ftlb , with TE45a .63 Precision ex.
This year , 767 hp / 776 ftlb , with Turbonetics 6465 bb .63 ex .

Great numbers!
Clearly, on your set-up and operating conditions, the TE45A was a restriction. Best I can tell, TE45A has mass flow potential of ~75lbs/min @ ~2.8 PR.
DO you mind sharing if the PR was the same, and your combo? Can't see any sigs.

Jerryl , Sorry , I'm not real turbo literate . Not sure of your question , but both turbos were at 28psi during the dyno pulls and outside temps were about the same . I was at 80% duty cycle on the injectors also .
I copy and pasted my combo .
86 Wh1 , stock block , 3 steel main caps , 40 over Diamond , 206-206 roller , 1.60 Harland & Sharp , Champion ported irons & ported intake , accufab plenum & 70mm tb,120lb inj , Turbonetics HPC Billet F1 6465 BB turbo, PTE front mount ic, Swain Tech coated ATR headers & 3" dp , ATR pitbull dual 2.5" exhaust , E85 , TR6 ignition , TT 6.1 chip , AEM wideband , 3.5" LS1 maf & translator, RJC cold air,Racetronix 680 lph dp & fuel lines, Powerlogger, Scanmaster 2.2 , Dave Husek Pro Plus trans & 3021 billet lockup converter , Quick Performance 9" , Wave Trac differential , 35 spline axles , 275/60/15 MT dr's on Champion Billet wheels .
10.60 / 125.9 @ 29psi

To me the TE45A has been the best turbo and I tried a hand full of them from the TE44 to a 6262 but my data collection system is my butt in the seat and a "fast car" in the rear view so very far from scientific lol
I have it roughly dialed in just with the setting in the Extender (excellent AFR's/low mpg) or TT chip (lean AFR's/excellent mpg).

I am constantly tinkering with my car so I havent even contemplated spending money to have it dyno-tuned.

Just for comparison I dynoed my car at RC's shop last year & this year during the TB.com nats . The only change was the turbo .
Last year , 706 hp / 684 ftlb , with TE45a .63 Precision ex.
This year , 767 hp / 776 ftlb , with Turbonetics 6465 bb .63 ex .

Is this rwhp or flywheel?

flywheel . Your build is very similar to mine except I'm on E85 & at 28 psi .

Last edited:
Jerryl , Sorry , I'm not real turbo literate . Not sure of your question , but both turbos were at 28psi during the dyno pulls and outside temps were about the same . I was at 80% duty cycle on the injectors also .
I copy and pasted my combo .
86 Wh1 , stock block , 3 steel main caps , 40 over Diamond , 206-206 roller , 1.60 Harland & Sharp , Champion ported irons & ported intake , accufab plenum & 70mm tb,120lb inj , Turbonetics HPC Billet F1 6465 BB turbo, PTE front mount ic, Swain Tech coated ATR headers & 3" dp , ATR pitbull dual 2.5" exhaust , E85 , TR6 ignition , TT 6.1 chip , AEM wideband , 3.5" LS1 maf & translator, RJC cold air,Racetronix 680 lph dp & fuel lines, Powerlogger, Scanmaster 2.2 , Dave Husek Pro Plus trans & 3021 billet lockup converter , Quick Performance 9" , Wave Trac differential , 35 spline axles , 275/60/15 MT dr's on Champion Billet wheels .
10.60 / 125.9 @ 29psi
Are you saying that your car can put 767 hp to the ground and reach a top speed of 125 mph in a 1/4 mile race while putting 767 hp to the ground?

Read the post above yours, flywheel hp

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

So 767 flywheel hp can only get your car up to 125 mph in the 1/4?
Is your car extremely heavy?

No it's because his 6465 turbo has a true .63 housing....that's why his mph is low.

If he switched to a Tnetics .82, he pick up and a bunch of mph.

What are your egts at 700+ hp with a .63?lol

No it's because his 6465 turbo has a true .63 housing....that's why his mph is low.

If he switched to a Tnetics .82, he pick up and a bunch of mph.

I never checked EGT's but I will next time I'm out
The car weighs 3669 lbs with me in it .

MPH is product of horsepower. If his engine is making 767 hp,why is his mph so low?

Exhaust temps are a product of low timing and or lean a/f ratios. A smaller turbine housing can produce high exhaust pressure.

The HP & torque numbers are all from Richard Clark's dyno with Bison tuning it and the time slip is from Empire Dragway in NY.

Im a big Tnetics fan but id bet you will do better #s with a 6766 in the mph department.

The HP & torque numbers are all from Richard Clark's dyno with Bison tuning it and the time slip is from Empire Dragway in NY.
Where you from, I'm from buffalo NY. Eventually when my car is done I might go to empire.

MPH is product of horsepower. If his engine is making 767 hp,why is his mph so low?

Exhaust temps are a product of low timing and or lean a/f ratios. A smaller turbine housing can produce high exhaust pressure.

Check the temp on the exhaust housing with one of those temp guns on Amazon after making back to 1/4 passes. Check the .63 vs .82. Your running it hot at that HP level. Anything over 500hp I'd use a .82 to play it safe.

I've seen Sam's car a bunch...fkn sweet and one of my favorites.

Chassis dyno?
Yes . last years pic.
DSCN0436.JPG

Last edited:
Where you from, I'm from buffalo NY. Eventually when my car is done I might go to empire.

I'm on the east side of Rochester . wb_7354 is from Buffalo . We meet up at Empire a lot during the summer , and he runs at Lancaster almost weekly . We're going to the GS nationals in Bowling Green this September with 2 other Buick guys from Buffalo .

Check the temp on the exhaust housing with one of those temp guns on Amazon after making back to 1/4 passes. Check the .63 vs .82. Your running it hot at that HP level. Anything over 500hp I'd use a .82 to play it safe.

I've seen Sam's car a bunch...fkn sweet and one of my favorites.

I have an EGT sensor just before the turbo . It's just a matter of me looking at it at full boost . I could send it to the powerlogger , but it's just one more thing on the to do list .