Signs of a bad maf

NorCalTurbos

Slowing down to SPEED UP!!!
What are symtoms of a bad maf because with mines pluged up it idles like crap when I disconnect the plug it sounds great but ses light comes on. :bookworm:

The MAF can be bad and not throw a code...

Do yourself a favor get a translator and updated MAF you'll be glad you did.

When plugged in, tap on it lightly with the handle of a screwdriver or something; if it stumbles more, you have a bad one. You'll need a new one someday so just get the translator and modern MAF as mentioned. Also, it should throw a SES code, especially when unplugged, depending on what chip you run.

Mine would idle terrible and stall out. It also fouled the plugs after running for a while. I replaced the plugs and MAF sensor and it started right up and idled perfectly.

One of mine would accelerate then stall over and over.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Dave Husek had standard translators and I think earl brown has some ls1 mafs

Earl has the 3" for $50 and the 3.5" for $80. Lt1-everything you will research will send you right back to him and Dave.

If you get a updated MAF (ls1/lt1) you have to have a translator too. It plugs into the new maf and the factory wiring where the stock maf would have plugged in.

I'm new too, I'm getting ready to do the same upgrade. Price wise Earl seems to have the best price plus I know that he will walk you thru any problems that you run into. He had really helped me out and I haven't even bought anything from him ( YET ). And Besucurred is right about needing the translator too. I know the average seems to be around $200 but I'm not sure what Dave wants for his. If anyone knows could you post it for us? If not when I find out I will put it in this thread. Oh and check out those two sites Brad told you about. And alsowhat I found out about this site, there's a lot of good people here and they all are great about helping us newbees out.

I'll bump this old thread instead of creating a new one:

Will a bad MAF and/or bad MAF translator cause the car to NOT START.

Car should start but also should throw a code stumbling during idle and might even shut down.

I will tell you this, after chasing my tail with my old set I’ve done the Maf and translator but I was finally able to find a new stock 87 maf when I did the 87 ecu upgrade with a chip from Eric. The car responded well and since I’ve done the 86/87 LC2 drivetrain with the stock maf and it’s legit. The translator just makes it easier to replace a maf and tune to your preference. What issues are you having?