Side moldings and badges on 87 GN

chris37344

Hi everyone. I just got my GN this passed weekend. Took it to Turbo Lou and he said it was good to go! Any suggestions on removing the side mouldings. I don't like it. also, I want to replace the badges because I see green corrosion all over the edges. Any advice is truely appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Congrats on your GN. Smart of you getting a Turbo Buick guru to give it a look-see (y)

I know the feeling. Don't care for the look of side moldings either. But one thing to consider if you don't have a fresh paint job is the tan line that will be left behind after removing the molding. If you can live with that then have at it with some fishing line or dental floss to "saw" it off at the adhesive. Same can be done with the emblems. I used WD40 to remove the leftover adhesive since I had it already but there may be better products out there for this purpose. Heat helps as well. Assuming your side molding is not mechanically fastened...

Congrats on your GN. Smart of you getting a Turbo Buick guru to give it a look-see (y)

I know the feeling. Don't care for the look of side moldings either. But one thing to consider if you don't have a fresh paint job is the tan line that will be left behind after removing the molding. If you can live with that then have at it with some fishing line or dental floss to "saw" it off at the adhesive. Same can be done with the emblems. I used WD40 to remove the leftover adhesive since I had it already but there may be better products out there for this purpose. Heat helps as well. Assuming your side molding is not mechanically fastened...
I was hopping I can remove the tan line by buffing it out. Do you think that may work to bring back the shine?

The paint under the molding will be darker. The older the paint job the more noticable it will be and no amount of buffing will even out the color with the rest of the car. Some don't mind the shade difference and can live with it. Some are bugged to no end by it... Worst case you could always put back a new molding if the tan line bothers you that much.

Last edited:
The paint under the molding will be darker. The older the paint job the more noticable it will be and no amount of buffing will even out the color with the rest of the car. Some don't mind the shade difference and can live with it. Some are bugged to no end by it... Worst case you could always put back a new moldiing if the tan line bothers you that much.
Oh gotcha! Is there something I can use to clean off the green corrosion on my emblems?

On the body side moldings there are at least 2 types. One that is all rubber that can be removed like the emblems and ones that are riveted on. I think the rubber ones were a factory option. My car has the riveted on ones which I think were a dealer add on.

I would leave the side mouldings, especially if they are original. They don' t make an exact duplicate, so in addition to protecting your doors, they might add value to the car. I agree it looks better without them but I sure wouldn't want a tan line.

If this is original paint, leave the molding and the emblems. It's all baked in. If you pull the moldings they may take the paint with them- ask me how I know.

As for the emblems use some "000" or "0000" steel wool delicately on the edges. It will polish the chrome and remove the green residue.