Should I buy?

V

veesixer

I am trying to decide if I should purchase a 97 Buick Regal GS or not.

The largest hurdle is the fact that I am only looking to spend between $9k-$10k. I found one locally that a dealer is selling with 71k miles for $10k.

My question is, would it be smart to purchase one of these cars at this mileage or will I just be asking for trouble? I realize most people will say that as long as it has been taken care of it should be okay, but I'm just wondering if there is anything major that starts to go out at this point. I don't want to spend any money on it after the purchase, just drive it and perform routine maintenance.

I'd like to hear some testimonies on the reliability of these cars and also see how many miles some of you have put on yours.

Also, are these 92 octane and up cars?

Thanks for the input!

Steve

The GS will require high octane fuel.

My 97.5 is at 30K miles. So far, so good. Nothing major has gone wrong. A wheel speed sensor went out right before the warranty expired - that was the worst thing so far. This is pretty good considering I am beating on it quite a bit.

Scott
97.5 GS

98 30,000 miles no problems.
I think KendallF has had some problems with his.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=594292844

Might watch this one and see what it sells for. I just paid $10,500 for my '98 with 44k. It is a salvage title car, but I know of the builder and had it checked out ok by body man (wasn't a flood car). I think I read somewhere thet the tranny in the '97 was a little weak. I think the '98 up was a upgraded tranny.

Check this bulletin board - lot more internet activity on the Grand Prix, but mechanicals are basically the same:

http://www.clubgp.com/forum/

The 97 model year is actually a bit confusing. The W-Body version came out in January of 97 so it is also referred to as 97.5. I was once told that by referring to it as 97 the car may get confused for the previous body style. There is very little different between the 97.5 and 98. Some parts have two part numbers - one for early and one for late 97. The 97.5 PCM hardware is different from the 98. I have never heard that the 97.5 tranny was any different or weaker than any of the other years, especially the 98. (I hope RossGN's info is wrong). I have been using Hoosier Quick Time Pro DOT Slicks and power breaking to 3K RPM and run 13.2s-13.3s with my 97.5 tranny without problems (knock on wood). I only have 31K miles though.

If you are interested in mods for your GS, the only mod that is not available for the 97.5 compared to later years is PCM reprogramming due to the different PCM hardware. (PCM reprogramming from ASE is available for 98+, but the one person I heard that ordered one was not happy and sent it back).

Good luck with your decision.

Scott
97.5 GS

Scott, please give more info on MODS and procedures to run your times.

Thanks
ES

ES - Because you asked...mod list is getting a little lengthy. The mods I was using when I ran a couple 13.2s (best 13.253) and six 13.3s at Norwalk in May at Buick Day 2001 were the following:

DUB pulley system with 3.0”, Headers, Ported Aluminum Heads, S-Ported SC, 36# “Blue Top” Injectors, TR55IX @ 0.055, SLP GS Exhaust, MSP CAI, Caspers FPR, U-Bend removed, Autotrans Interceptor, Shift Kit, Tranny Cooler/Redline Synthetic, 160* Stat, MSP Compu-Cool Fan Control, TB Heat Shield, RAT F & R Swaybars/Urethane Bushings, F & R Buick STBs, Adjustable Front Koni Struts, Front GTP Springs, Rear Monroe Reflex Struts, Rear Intrigue GLS Springs, Hoosier Quick Time Pros.

Since then I have added a 2.9" pulley, 1.9:1 rockers, a smooth intake pipe and removed the MAF screen. I also leave in the baby seat just for fun. I hope to improve on my times at a gathering at Norwalk in late September.

Why am I doing this to my daily driven family car you ask...because I don't have a GN in the garage!:)

Scott
97.5 GS
dr.speedsig.jpg

Originally posted by ES1
98 30,000 miles no problems.
I think KendallF has had some problems with his.

Where do I start...:rolleyes:

Let me say I really like my GS, but mine has had a number of failures. I've got an early 97, perhaps it's a Friday "hangover" car or something. It's my wife's daily driver and our family car. I put a 3.4" pulley and a K&N on it when I bought it with about 37k on it; it now has 70k. It has been to the track exactly once and ran a 14.16@95.6 on Nittos.

The fuel pump resistor burned out the first month I had it; I bypassed it by clipping a pin on its' relay. I have the typical blacked out climate control display which I haven't worried about to date. It lunched the transmission at 56k, requiring a $1400 rebuild and replacement of the side case of the transmission.

Since then it has required an alternator replacement, welding of a cracked alternator support bracket I found when I replaced the alternator, and I had to fix the A/C when a hard line cracked.

Got all of these things done, and some moron ran into it about a month ago. Sigh.... I just got it back from the body shop last Friday; it looks great again so I guess I'll wait for the next problem. :)

Where do you get 1.9:1 rockers, and what is the ratio of the stock ones?

I have heard that Comp Cams has come out with a new line of roller cams for the 3800 II engines. Has anyone had a chance to try one of these out?

1.9:1 rockers were custom made and the project coordinated by Scott Cook. You can contact him at AdvGauging@aol.com for availability info. Stock ratio is listed as 1.6:1 but is actually 1.53:1.

The last I read on ClubGP.com is that the cams from Comp Cams still haven't materialized. When available they will be sold exclusively by grandprixstore.com.

Scott
97.5 GS

Originally posted by Scott 97.5 GS
ES - Because you asked...mod list is getting a little lengthy. The mods I was using when I ran a couple 13.2s (best 13.253) and six 13.3s at Norwalk in May at Buick Day 2001 were the following:

DUB pulley system with 3.0”, Headers, Ported Aluminum Heads, S-Ported SC, 36# “Blue Top” Injectors, TR55IX @ 0.055, SLP GS Exhaust, MSP CAI, Caspers FPR, U-Bend removed, Autotrans Interceptor, Shift Kit, Tranny Cooler/Redline Synthetic, 160* Stat, MSP Compu-Cool Fan Control, TB Heat Shield, RAT F & R Swaybars/Urethane Bushings, F & R Buick STBs, Adjustable Front Koni Struts, Front GTP Springs, Rear Monroe Reflex Struts, Rear Intrigue GLS Springs, Hoosier Quick Time Pros.

Since then I have added a 2.9" pulley, 1.9:1 rockers, a smooth intake pipe and removed the MAF screen. I also leave in the baby seat just for fun. I hope to improve on my times at a gathering at Norwalk in late September.

Why am I doing this to my daily driven family car you ask...because I don't have a GN in the garage!:)

Scott
97.5 GS
dr.speedsig.jpg

Scott..your car is doing very well. I am a bit surprised it's not doing better, however. A friend of mine locally has run some 13.2s at about 102 with a bone stock motor and blower; just 3.25" pulley, our home brewed cold air intake (Home Depot PVC), PCM, no cat, modified exhaust, and some good tires. I wonder how much the blower belt is slipping with that 2.9" pulley at high RPMs? The next good step would be a cog drive. :)

What cheap MODS can be made other than the pulley?
I just have a k & n in the stock box.
I would like to get the car in the 14.2 range.

TIA
ES