Shorai Battery Install

Bump. Any long term updates on the Lithium Ion battery?

How do you know how much CCA these cars need with all the crap we install in them - dual fans, bunch of gauges, alky pump and so on....?

long term review is still all positive. Shorai sent me one of their new water proof charger cables but I have not installed it yet. I put some brush on liquid electrical tape on the original cable connections but will change to the cable one day.

The CCA of this battery is more than enough. All those add on extras don't really come into play for start up which draws the most from the battery.
After start up, the alternator will take care of the other stuff.

Very happy with the change. Funny: I have several people at car shows ask me, "what is that?" They can't believe its the battery.

long term review is still all positive. Shorai sent me one of their new water proof charger cables but I have not installed it yet. I put some brush on liquid electrical tape on the original cable connections but will change to the cable one day.

The CCA of this battery is more than enough. All those add on extras don't really come into play for start up which draws the most from the battery.
After start up, the alternator will take care of the other stuff.

Very happy with the change. Funny: I have several people at car shows ask me, "what is that?" They can't believe its the battery.
That is great to hear. Glad it's working out. Thanks for the update.

Do you "need" the water proof charger cable because you daily drive or park and charge outside or...?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I keep the charger cable connected because I don't dive it often and keep it on a Shorai charger in a garage. But if I washed the car or got caught in the rain, the water could easily run down the cable to the connector and cause a short. The new cables are sealed much better.

That is great to hear. Glad it's working out. Thanks for the update.

Do you "need" the water proof charger cable because you daily drive or park and charge outside or...?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
No, that's not it. I keep the car on a lift and let the charging cable hand down under the care to access it under the lift. I washed the car and water ran down the cable and caused the problem. If you kept it up top it should be OK but cover it if you wash under the hood. But the new water proof ones are much better. They may all be water proof by now if new

I just installed one on my Typhoon as well.

Attachments

• Interior 3.jpg
    Interior 3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Interior 4.jpg
    Interior 4.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 155
After replacing my heavy starter with a new mini starter I decided to look at the battery next. I had the Optima red top. It with the bracket weighed in at 39.0 lbs.

I have been using Shorai lithium ion batteries on motorcycles for years including two 6 cylinder large CC bikes and have been very impressed with them.

I got the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12, 550 cca.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FIUMOG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the
Odyssey Battery Hold Down Kit HK-PC680 with SAE automotive terminals.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Odyssey-Batteries-Battery-Hold-Down-Kit-HK-PC680/162790405276?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The Odyssey PC680 hold down kit fits the LFX36L3-BS12 Shorai very well. You will need the Shorai charger and extension cable if you don't drive on a regular basis to trickle charge. They don't recommend normal trickle chargers.

The new Shorai battery, hold down kit, terminals and extension cable weighed in a only 6.8 lbs. That's a saving of 32.2 lbs. off the front of the car. Starts right up just as well as the big Optima did.
Looks like the images are broken on this post. Was hoping to see how you mounted the battery and Odyssey hold down. Anyway you could reload the photos or send me a PM? Interested in this option as I am in need of a new battery. Thanks!

Make sure ya have fire ins !! Some guys have had em an lost cars an garages. I know tech is changing everyday but be careful. ;)

Looks like the images are broken on this post. Was hoping to see how you mounted the battery and Odyssey hold down. Anyway you could reload the photos or send me a PM? Interested in this option as I am in need of a new battery. Thanks!
hello people: I also see nothing.
IBBY

This is how I mounted my Antigravity battery. It weighs 4lbs and has easily starts the engine. It's rated 630 cc amps. I've had no issues with their lithium battery. They have electronic built in to protect over charge and under charge. Mustang guys were having an issue with the restart feature that didn't play well with their ecm alternator charging strategies. They just get the same battery without that feature. You do have to have a lithium battery charger for it however. Using a regular charger will destroy it. Maybe that's what caused early issues with them; people not using the right charger...
20220429_092318.jpg

I'm with Pronto bought mine & installed 12-27-2019 so that means this December no fires several run downs without charging the battery.

Here's what happens the battery just sit static in the car, well after a week or two voltage starts to drop when my battery gets below say 12.5 ( just an example but its close to that) is what we think goes dead- but actually a safety cut off feature.... all I do is pop the hood press the little jump start button (under my zip tie lol) on the battery (faint click is what you hear) get back in the car & crank WALLAA.!!
Self Jump starting..It will lose chip settings so fix that if you are going to step on it... I wouldn't jump anyone else off. Best part it weigh's only 3.8 lbs. No need to relocate to the trunk...Its expensive though is the ONLY downside. Pronto turned me on to this battery. almost 2 years ago.. I have a 500 Watt MTX amp pushing 2 12's also. Only play it while the car running . ( The little square device attached to the opposite end of the pos/neg terminals is a metering device linked with my phone so I can check battery voltage while in the house.) Cute aint it... I get smiles & giggles when they see it. lol
Antigravity.jpg

Last edited:
hello people: The mounting is something you have to come up with or is it something you can buy?
IBBY

I just layed a sheet of plastic over the battery area and used some threaded rods.

I will repost the pics. Also to note on the fire safety. These are NOT lithium ion. They re Lithium Iron Phosphate. That's the newer technology that is much safer from overheat and fire. I run a 160 ah, 51v LiFePo4 battery on my golf cart and it is awesome.

I used thin & measured plexi-glass . Pronto's way better than mine but yes you have to do a little easy fabricating.. as these are made for motorcycles originally. They have larger car batteries but so far no need. thanks for the safety report 60... I feel confident in mine.

Between that battery ,,Cals hood & front bumper... with new tires no burn out I lifted both front tires about an inch or two launching off concrete bridge!!! but only did it once :D

This is how I mounted my Antigravity battery. It weighs 4lbs and has easily starts the engine. It's rated 630 cc amps. I've had no issues with their lithium battery. They have electronic built in to protect over charge and under charge. Mustang guys were having an issue with the restart feature that didn't play well with their ecm alternator charging strategies. They just get the same battery without that feature. You do have to have a lithium battery charger for it however. Using a regular charger will destroy it. Maybe that's what caused early issues with them; people not using the right charger...
View attachment 368152
Lithium batteries have made some great improvements in the last couple years, both lithium ion and lithium iron phosphate. The top tiers most have a built-in battery management system (BMS) that gives protection from over charge, over heat, under charge, etc. I like the "jump start" feature on the antigravity and the fact that they are now making larger size batteries for auto motive. Amazing how many CCA a little 3.75 lb. battery can deliver. Funny I have been at a car show with the hood up and someone ask me what that thing is. They can't believe it's my main battery.

Picture of motorcycle battery taken in 2013.

Attachments

• AECCA4D9-810E-47FA-88D6-598D7B87D4FC.jpeg
    AECCA4D9-810E-47FA-88D6-598D7B87D4FC.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 57
  • D32372ED-5F7B-4314-8C9B-46B568B7E070.jpeg
    D32372ED-5F7B-4314-8C9B-46B568B7E070.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 49