Shop Manual on CD

TurboGN

Having the manual on CD, especially with a search engine, would save a lot of time. Also we wouldn't have to worry about getting the pages wet or dirty and it wouldn't take up space. Printing sections in color would also be nice. Surely the cost, especially shipping, would be cheaper than the Helms hardcopy. Possibly $50 compared to $100 plus shipping? Joel

Manual on CD

I looked into this several years ago. I was told GM had an exclusive contract with ??? (sorry, I forget the name of the company) to be the exclusive reseller of shop manuals.

We had a bit of correspondence back and forth, but it began to look more like a job for lawyers rather than hobbyists so I gave up on it.

May be worth another try to buy the rights.

Originally posted by S10xGN
Hiya Joel!

Maybe if everybody bombarded this site Gearhead Cafe with e-mails, they'd be kind enough to do one for us...

Later!
Hey Russ,
Its always good to hear from you. I e-mailed gearheadcafe and requested a cd for turbo Regals. Great suggestion. If more will join in maybe we'll get one. For other vehicles they're only $50 including shipping. Did you get the oil leak resolved? Let me know if I can be of any help. If you need mucho muscle I'll bring Erik. Later my friend.

Any word yet??

If the manuals come out on CD, count me in! I know of some other guys who'd be interested as well. How do we go about making this a reality??

Steve

"Its a shame..but "IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN". Its been talked about "MANY" times over the years, and, just like this thread, it'll DIE. But...not to discourage anyone....GOOD LUCK!!

Did anyone find a place yet? Hope one of the vendors would consider this.

Chuck

Ok, I'm not going to say much here because although a "member" I am not a "PAYING ADVERTISER" and thus prohibited from really "advertising" anything on this board (EVEN though I love these cars and am trying to develop interesting and useful products for them). However, be that as it may, Atlanta Buick Specialties has already contacted Detroit Manuals on CD about this project. Their one opposition to doing it is that they don't think there would be much interest for them. I've tried to convince them that there is a LOT of interest, particularly at a price of less than $50 (Our Price on CD manuals for the Older GS and other Cars is $40). Perhaps if you send some emails to my contact, you can convince him where I have failed. His name is Ken Jenkins and his email address is kjenkins@tyler.net. I've got the manuals boxed and ready to send if they will tell me they'll do it.

I e-mailed this guy: Kenneth Jenkins and got a nice, quick response back:

Russell
The only real holdup is Helms, since they have the copyrights. This has been
brought up with the lawyers. We have and or looking into being able to
produce these just doesn't look good for now.
Thank you for the interest.
Cordially
Kenneth

Unfortunately, it seems legal issues are the hold-up (Helms), not potential sales volume as stated...

Later!

Yea, emailed me back in minutes. Seems super nice. Hopefully things can get worked out I would be interested in it.

Chuck

CD Manual Hold Up

Originally posted by S10xGN
I e-mailed this guy: Kenneth Jenkins and got a nice, quick response back:

Unfortunately, it seems legal issues are the hold-up (Helms), not potential sales volume as stated...

Later!

Why is it that those with the copyrights on stuff won't produce it, and also won't let anyone else do it? The only people getting stiffed are the people that need and want it. I've talked with the Helms people and was flat out told that the service manuals in print are gone and that they don't plan to reprint them.

Alan