Shipping by Fastenal, any tips?

DARTHV6

Feb 19, 2013
Hello all,
I want to ship my transmission by Fastenal from Michigan to West Virginia. Anybody have any tip how to crate this thing? Pictures would me a bunch cuz I've never done it. I'm looking on line how to use Fastenal in my area but I'm betting a few on this forum have done it before.

Thanks,
Art

DARTHV6

Feb 19, 2013
I've shipped motors an transmissions with fastenal.price has gone up a little bit. He is how I had mine shipped.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Perfect!
Is that shrink wrap and motorcycle ratchet straps? I heard (long time ago) they don’t insure unless it’s in a crate or should I bother with insurance? And this is stupid but do they pick up or do I take it to their store. My end shipment address has a Fastenal code.
Thanks
Art

Ktbregal

Nov 4, 2012
Check, check and keep in touch with them A LOT. THEY DON'T SEEM TO CARE IF ITS WORTH A DOLLAR OR 10,000 DOLLARS.

Reactions: DARTHV6

DARTHV6

Feb 19, 2013
Check, check and keep in touch with them A LOT. THEY DON'T SEEM TO CARE IF ITS WORTH A DOLLAR OR 10,000 DOLLARS.
I’ve read they toss things around a lot and can take a long time but they are cheap. Can I ask how much you paid and if you got insurance? Can they hurt a tranny that’s going in for repair anyway? I guess they could if they wanted to...

grass doctor

Sep 21, 2018
saint augustine fl
I used them for a pair of seats bolted to a pallet and make shift box around them , no issues ,
I might put a cheap form of support around it some old boards screwed in a triangle then to the pallet ... they also make tranny cases but they are expensive
blackazz set up looks pretty good I am just ocd and probably have them band it too

DARTHV6

Feb 19, 2013
I used them for a pair of seats bolted to a pallet and make shift box around them , no issues ,
I might put a cheap form of support around it some old boards screwed in a triangle then to the pallet ... they also make tranny cases but they are expensive
blackazz set up looks pretty good I am just ocd and probably have them band it too
Ok,
Did you insure it?

DARTHV6

Feb 19, 2013
no but for a tranny I would , most good trans shops will ship back in proper container ask if your guy does that and see if he will spilt the cost of one with ya or some sort of arrangement if he uses them
Good idea

KC87

Feb 11, 2009
Just me but I would find a pallet, a sturdy one, about the size of a homemade box of 1/2" plywood that you'd make for the trans. "Screw the bottom to the pallet, than build some supports out of 2x4s to support the trans and strap it to the secured said supports. Than screw the sides and top on.
Never used Fastenal but think they're just a go between for you and the carrier and they'll use whoever gives them the best rate, ABF, Fed-X freight, New Penn, etc. And believe me they're all rough on freight.
Use to see the nice black heavy plastic cases to fit the trans with straps use by certain shops but good luck finding one and when they came through they always looked like they'd been ran over, backed over and slapped around by the forklift.
Better to spend a few extra bucks making a good container than have a broken tranny case. You'll be paying a 100# minimum weight anyways. Good luck collecting on a damage claim since they like to use, "it wasn't packaged properly" and lots of time they pay pennies on the dollar after the long, drawn out claims process.

seedling

Jun 17, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
We bought ours, scribner sells em cheap but u have to buy when they have em otherwise you might wait a week or two for them to come back in stock. But, $132 bones is cheap and then you’ve a place to store your original trans when you’re done building the one you’re sending off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
Fastenal does'tt use any shipping services. They have trucks that criss cross the nation servicing their stores and they're never physically full. The Fastenal 3rd party logistics is just them letting our crap piggy back on their trucks. That's why they never quote specific shipping days. It gets there when it gets there. The bad part is most employees don't even know the 3rd party stuff exists.

It'll ride on their trucks between their stores. The do offer a service to drop something off on a doorstep on CERTAIN transports. It's extra money and they obviously won't drive an 18wheeler into a cul-de-sac in a gated community. The package would have to be light and they'd most likely insist of having a lift-gate truck. So, basically, it's store-to-store.

The prices have went up so much I don't use them anymore (I'm the guy that found them way back when). Basically they go by floor space on the truck and what kind of mood their in at the time. Years ago, the first time I used them was to ship a full size 4 player Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtle arcade game from West GA to Boston. It was 750#s on a 4X4 pallet. That trip was $100. A few months ago I wanted an 80# 9" chunk sent from MS to W. GA, and they quoted over $100.

Needless to say, I don't even bother calling them anymore.

On your transmission, I'd get a rubbermaid trash can, put the transmission in there with about 100 layers or cardboard wrapped around it, then stuff the gaps with more padding. Duct tape the lid on and let it fly.

Reactions: DARTHV6 and KC87

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Dec 14, 2004
Houston, Texas
. . . $132 bones is cheap and then you’ve a place to store your original trans
Agreed!
If you think about, $132 to ensure 360 degree protection is a no brainer. The box could resold for $65 if no longer needed, and the peace of mind will have cost ~$70.

Shippers aren't worried about your $3k part as reimbursement for lost item is typically $1/lb. Imagine how much trouble it would be to get reimbursed for damage.

Make it easy on yourself, the builder and transport, and significantly minimize any chance of damage, all for $70.

Reactions: DARTHV6 and KC87

DARTHV6

Feb 19, 2013
We bought ours, scribner sells em cheap but u have to buy when they have em otherwise you might wait a week or two for them to come back in stock. But, $132 bones is cheap and then you’ve a place to store your original trans when you’re done building the one you’re sending off.

There’s an idea too. I do have two transmissions and one is sitting one the floor. My skills might be quicker..

DARTHV6

Feb 19, 2013
Agreed!
If you think about, $132 to ensure 360 degree protection is a no brainer. The box could resold for $65 if no longer needed, and the peace of mind will have cost ~$70.

Shippers aren't worried about your $3k part as reimbursement for lost item is typically $1/lb. Imagine how much trouble it would be to get reimbursed for damage.

Make it easy on yourself, the builder and transport, and significantly minimize any chance of damage, all for $70.
Wait, that looks too small. Did you send a GN transmission from that link?

DARTHV6

Feb 19, 2013

Wait, that looks small. Did you send a GN transmission from that link?

KC87

Feb 11, 2009
Fastenal does'tt use any shipping services. They have trucks that criss cross the nation servicing their stores and they're never physically full. The Fastenal 3rd party logistics is just them letting our crap piggy back on their trucks. That's why they never quote specific shipping days. It gets there when it gets there. The bad part is most employees don't even know the 3rd party stuff exists.

It'll ride on their trucks between their stores. The do offer a service to drop something off on a doorstep on CERTAIN transports. It's extra money and they obviously won't drive an 18wheeler into a cul-de-sac in a gated community. The package would have to be light and they'd most likely insist of having a lift-gate truck. So, basically, it's store-to-store.

The prices have went up so much I don't use them anymore (I'm the guy that found them way back when). Basically they go by floor space on the truck and what kind of mood their in at the time. Years ago, the first time I used them was to ship a full size 4 player Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtle arcade game from West GA to Boston. It was 750#s on a 4X4 pallet. That trip was $100. A few months ago I wanted an 80# 9" chunk sent from MS to W. GA, and they quoted over $100.

Needless to say, I don't even bother calling them anymore.

On your transmission, I'd get a rubbermaid trash can, put the transmission in there with about 100 layers or cardboard wrapped around it, then stuff the gaps with more padding. Duct tape the lid on and let it fly.
That's why I say you may as well just drop it off at a freight company and they'll deliver it to the business since that's their job. They'll also do a residence p/u for an extra charge and sometimes they won't depending on policy.
Also call whoever is rebuilding the item because they very well may have an account with the freight company and get a decent discount and pass it along to you through your final bill. Lots of companies are sneaky and say they'll pay the the freight and charge you full rate while they pay the discount to hauler of say 50%. Real easy money for them to do nothing.
I think it was Art Carr that used the shaped plastic containers and they even had slots for the forklift. Also think Fastenal's new policy is to inspect any sealed crate and show real ID.